656     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 991     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 494     0 

Quick Mississauga City Centre Tour

C

Canuck 36

My job brings me all over, last week I was stationed at Square One so I took an hour before work to wander around. Enjoy.

Looking South from Square One
DSCN0206.JPG

Some sexy thing peering above a parking garage. I believe this the parking garage Future Mayor mentioned can be converted to ground floor retail should market conditions exist.
DSCN0207.JPG

There's a huge flock of cranes flying around
DSCN0208.JPG

DSCN0209.JPG

Future-goodbye to this greenfield
DSCN0210.JPG

Oh beautiful! How I'd love to sweep you away to Toronto where you can be appreciated and worshiped.
DSCN0211.JPG

Sad how the sidewalk gave out on me. I was forced to trek through the parking lot at this point.
DSCN0213.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0215.JPG

Beauty and some beasts.
DSCN0216.JPG

DSCN0217.JPG

Look! A relatively full bus!!! Public transportation at work in Mississauga!
DSCN0218.JPG

This desolate area was supposed to be some kind of art space. However I found it to be depressing and embarassing for the city. Two views from opposite ends:
DSCN0219.JPG

DSCN0220.JPG

DSCN0222.JPG

DSCN0223.JPG

The base of the Daniels Towers
DSCN0224.JPG

This was a fantastic surprise, I had no idea this absolutely beautiful garden area existed at the City Hall. Quite stunning
DSCN0225.JPG

DSCN0226.JPG

Library
DSCN0227.JPG

From here Hazel can yell out "Vive le Mississauga Libre!"
DSCN0228.JPG

DSCN0231.JPG

DSCN0232.JPG

More skyline on the far side of the mall
DSCN0233.JPG

Serving all your arts needs
DSCN0235.JPG

And lastly, to all those who say there are never any pedestrians in Mississauga pictures... well above there are a few pictures featuring three pedestrians. Here now, I show you an unheard of feat. A picture showing FOUR pedestrians
DSCN0229.JPG

You're welcome Future Mayor.

There are more ducks on the street than people. Where are the people?

Nice pics Canuck! Actually, there are seem to be more pedestrians lately...especially crossing Burnhamthorpe at Duke of York...must be the effect of the beauty and the 2 beasts...:)

That library looks like it was influenced by the Reme MacIntosh's Glasow School of Art.

Is the base of the Daniels development supposed to have retail?

It's nice that you managed to get four pedestrians in one photo. Of course, that's not surprising with all the new residents living in the area. The challenge for MCC is to make the street itself a destination... not just a means for pedestrians to get to Square One from their condos. I have yet to see examples of this.

Nice pics Canuck.

Citygate is fantastic.

For those that like to argue the MCC is urban and/or pedestrian friendly, this is a good reminder of how far off that statement is:

DSCN0213.JPG

Maybe Canuck can be the Mississauga version of "The Fixer" (even though he doesn't live there).

Those images remind me of a number of southern US cities, like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, or Phoenix.

Thanks for the good pictures! I agree with you regarding the crummy so-called "art space", adjacent to City Hall, which has never worked since day one. Some of those walls around the City Hall will hopefully be torn down soon to create a more pedestrian-friendly environment.

Thanks for the pics Canuck 36!

Yes, that parking deck along with the new one directly in front of the main entrance to the mall can have it's bottom converted to ground floor retail.

ganjavih, yes the Daniel's base will be lined with ground floor retail and will wrap around on both sides. The west face of the building is lined with a pedestrian lane way with walk up townhomes.

One Park Tower under construction across the street will also have ground floor retail including a new 150 seat restaurant with a patio spilling onto that new public park.

SD2, both City Centre Drive and Burnhamthorpe Road will be reconstructed in the next two years, narrowing the lanes, and building/widening sidewalks, centre medians and on street parking.

Observer Walt, The Mayor is opposed to tearing down any of the walls around City Hall as it would destroy the architect's overall vision of the space. Next July marks the 20th anniversary of the new Civic Centre and there is talk of designating the building a heritage site, which would make it even harder to tear down the walls.

Meanwhile, the Council wing of City Hall we be vacated in the next few weeks and moved to the new Court House as it will be under intense reconstruction, including tearing down two walls in the Council Chambers to provide greater sightlines, the Mayor's office will be out from the symbolic centre of the building to make way for two new Councillor's offices. The Mayor's office will now face the north towards the Living Arts Centre.

Finally, that art space will be turned into a skateboard park/bmx park come June. The Civic Square will be fully programmed this summer with free concerts, an ethnic night market, the Square One farmer's market will be moved across the street from City Hall, trucks of sand will be dumped onto the square for beach volleyball, picnics and sunbathing for city residents, and there is even talk of nightly fireworks off the top of City Hall.

Louroz

Nice set of photos. I don't like taking pics here because people give me strange looks so I am gald someone else did.

Future Mayor: It's disappointing to hear that Hazel opposes tearing down some of those walls around City Hall. At meetings a few months ago which you and I both attended, one of the major ideas put forward was the benefit which would come from opening up the City Hall square area by removing some of those. I thought there was consensus on that. I like the City Hall building, but its setting needs work. I certainly have to split with Hazel on this one, and hope she'll see the light. :(

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to some of the events this summer. The more the better.

And another thing, fireworks off the top of City Hall would be good, but how about duelling fireworks off the top of the two Daniels towers :D

I hear ya Walt. I disagree agree with the Mayor on this one as well.

I'm looking forward to the events as well. The city should approved the noise exemption by-law for the civic square for the entire months of July and August.

It's being called the "Celebrate Summer in the City Centre"

Should be exciting!

Louroz

Thanks for the pics Canuck 36!

Yes, that parking deck along with the new one directly in front of the main entrance to the mall can have it's bottom converted to ground floor retail.

ganjavih, yes the Daniel's base will be lined with ground floor retail and will wrap around on both sides. The west face of the building is lined with a pedestrian lane way with walk up townhomes.

One Park Tower under construction across the street will also have ground floor retail including a new 150 seat restaurant with a patio spilling onto that new public park.

SD2, both City Centre Drive and Burnhamthorpe Road will be reconstructed in the next two years, narrowing the lanes, and building/widening sidewalks, centre medians and on street parking.

Observer Walt, The Mayor is opposed to tearing down any of the walls around City Hall as it would destroy the architect's overall vision of the space. Next July marks the 20th anniversary of the new Civic Centre and there is talk of designating the building a heritage site, which would make it even harder to tear down the walls.

Meanwhile, the Council wing of City Hall we be vacated in the next few weeks and moved to the new Court House as it will be under intense reconstruction, including tearing down two walls in the Council Chambers to provide greater sightlines, the Mayor's office will be out from the symbolic centre of the building to make way for two new Councillor's offices. The Mayor's office will now face the north towards the Living Arts Centre.

Finally, that art space will be turned into a skateboard park/bmx park come June. The Civic Square will be fully programmed this summer with free concerts, an ethnic night market, the Square One farmer's market will be moved across the street from City Hall, trucks of sand will be dumped onto the square for beach volleyball, picnics and sunbathing for city residents, and there is even talk of nightly fireworks off the top of City Hall.

Louroz

Sounds good! So all these changes are expected to be completed within the next 2 years?

Back