News   May 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 591     0 

Questions regarding "transit cabotage" and routes post subway extension

I know it's different, but how MiWay and YRT (and possibly Brampton) behave when they enter Toronto mirrors the cabotage rules. Oddly enough, the TTC doesn't have any routes other than the 192 Airpirt which follow "cabotage rules" into the suburbs, I mean, the 58 Malton could easily operate as the only non Toronto stop being the Westwood Mall, or perhaps a hypothetical route to Vaughan Mills which followed similar "cabotage" restrictions. In the hypothetical 58 Malton scenario, only one fare would be paid at the Westwood Mall and the bus would go directly into Toronto's boundary before its first passenger could be discharged.
The 58 Malton route is replaced with a branch of the 52 Lawrence West route.

Forgive me for asking, I can't seem to find information, but what will the York U Commons Loop be used for then? I don't know about you, but all this seems very poorly executed.

This is how TTC, Brampton Transit and YRT routes presently feeding into or running close by York University will look like once the subway extension is complete:

screen-shot-2015-12-02-at-1-39-33-pm-png.60799

tysse_newroutes_201611.png

So it looks like four of the YRT routes serving Pioneer Village Station (3, 20, 22A, 101), will also loop into York Lanes. Brampton Transit will serve all three stations north of the campus. Only the 41B/E Keele will serve York University Station on the TTC's part though.

This is how TTC, Brampton Transit and YRT routes presently feeding into or running close by York University will look like once the subway extension is complete:

screen-shot-2015-12-02-at-1-39-33-pm-png.60799

tysse_newroutes_201611.png

So it looks like four of the YRT routes serving Pioneer Village Station (3, 20, 22A, 101), will also loop into York Lanes. Brampton Transit will serve all three stations north of the campus. Only the 41B/E Keele will serve York University Station on the TTC's part though.
What I don't understand is why the TTC decided to keep the 107 Keele North after the subway extension? To me, it doesn't make sense because its pretty much duplicating the subway service up to Pioneer Village Stn. Also, I won't be surprised if York region demands a subway to Vaughn Mills & Wonderland (mid-May to mid-October), Newmarket, and Markville Mall (Line 2)

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why the TTC decided to keep the 107 Keele North after the subway extension? To me, it doesn't make sense because its pretty much duplicating the subway service up to Pioneer Village Stn. Also, I won't be surprised if York region demands a subway to Vaughn Mills & Wonderland (mid-May to mid-October), Newmarket, and Markville Mall (Line 2)
The 107 serves the industrial area east of Keele.

TTC operates some bus routes for other agencies(you probably know a few already), but the other agencies don't operate buses for TTC. For example, once a TTC bus goes into Mississauga, it is now a Miway bus. On the other hand, Miway buses go into Toronto because not because they want to serve residents there but because they need to connect to the subway, and so they do not serve TTC riders(a Miway bus heading to Islington can't pick up riders in Toronto, and a Miway bus returning can't drop off passengers in Toronto).

So, for example, for the TTC 52 Lawrence West, MiWay has asked TTC to operate the route? This doesn't make sense to me. MiWay already has their Route 7 which is an exact duplication of the route from Pearson to Westwood, for the part of TTC 52 operated in Mississauga. Why would MiWay want the TTC to operate this route alongside their own. I could understand if the TTC was doing it to bring their citizens who work/commute to Malton, but this should be free like MiWay/YRT bring their passengers to the Subway without additional fare.

IIRC, all of Steeles Avenue belongs to the City of Toronto, including buildings on the North side with addresses in Toronto. Therefore, the TTC has full control of transit on Steeles.

Yes and no. The entire ROW itself, including access from either side, is under Toronto's jurisdiction, but any property north of it is in York Region. The TTC doesn't have full control of transit - because of how the province regulates transportation, YRT is still allowed to operate transit on Steeles and freely pick up/drop off people who are travelling to/from York Region.

So, for example, for the TTC 52 Lawrence West, MiWay has asked TTC to operate the route? This doesn't make sense to me. MiWay already has their Route 7 which is an exact duplication of the route from Pearson to Westwood, for the part of TTC 52 operated in Mississauga. Why would MiWay want the TTC to operate this route alongside their own. I could understand if the TTC was doing it to bring their citizens who work/commute to Malton, but this should be free like MiWay/YRT bring their passengers to the Subway without additional fare.
I'm not sure why this route still exists but I do know that it's still used by some to/from Malton. Miway's 7 is only a duplication to the terminals and then goes to Sq1 while TTC 52 goes the other way to Lawrence West. Miway's 11 is has its terminus at Islington. Perhaps this route is kept as historical, Malton has been served by the TTC since the '40s, first as TTC 58 and then a couple years ago by the similar 52, so this line was in service about 30 years before Malton was amalgamated to Mississauga. I think that the double fare past Jetliner Rd. should be removed.

So, for example, for the TTC 52 Lawrence West, MiWay has asked TTC to operate the route?

Yes. This arrangement predates the creation of Mississauga transit by several decades. The route originally connected Malton to the trolleybuses on Weston road and later to the Spadina subway.

I don't know exactly how it works, but TTC says "this service is operated for residents of the City of Mississauga". And as for the specific case of #52, if I live in Malton then I would not like to have to take 7(infrequent) to the airport and transfer to 52 there and vice-versa. Also, as others have said already, 52 only duplicates 7 for a short distance. Hope that helps.:)

Back