News   May 03, 2024
 981     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 600     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 288     0 

'Quebec Seperation Unstoppable'

Recent immigration (including mine) is completely different. My family, for example, emigrated to Canada because we valued both Canadian culture and its inherent openess. I suggest this is the thinking of most immigrants; few emigrate to Canada with the hope of one day breaking up the country to serve their own culture's interests.

No, the error back in the 1700s had nothing to do with immigrants (unless you include the new British rulers) but instead had everything to do with leaving a conquered people with their pre-conquered language, culture and way of life. Quebec today is a distinct society, which now may break up the country, for which they can thank (or blame) their British leaders.

Many countries have distinct peoples with distinct ethnicities, languages and cultures. Homogenising your population isn't a prerequisite to having a successful nation.

Having said that, I have little sympathy or time for Quebec separatists.

"Many countries have distinct peoples with distinct ethnicities, languages and cultures. Homogenising your population isn't a prerequisite to having a successful nation."

Certainly examples such as Switzerland and (somewhat) the Netherlands show this to be true. However, in cases of conquest, most nations ensure that the dominant player is on tops and that those below know their place. Look at the USA for example, there are dozens of languages and cultures (same goes for a lot of Canada) and none are trying to go their own way and seperate from the Union.

In cases where the dominant nation has been unable or unwilling to crush and/or assimilate the conquered, eventually nationalist movements rise, with the eventual demands for seperation. The Quebecois are simply following the examples of the Scots, Basques, Irish, Poles and Norwegians; these nations never excepted the language, culture, politics and dominion of a greater power and thus began independence movements.

I was born in Quebec, lived through an exodus of my community and was constantly told that I was not really a Quebecker because I was not pure laine, did not have endless ancestry there...blah, blah, blah. To say separatism is not ethnically based is only partially true. The roots of separation have always been rooted in the mythology of New France.

I left Quebec and never looked back. I was tired of the politics, the endless debates about language, identity and so on. After moving to Ontario it was clear as to how much difference there is between the two provinces. I prefer the more "open to the world" attitude here in Ontario.

If this sounds like an "emotional" statement, it is true. But then the the debate about separation in Quebec is emotional, too. There is no proof that Quebec would be better off outside of Canada. It is simply the idea of being on one's own that appeals to separatist leaders and supporters.

Back