News   Apr 25, 2024
 89     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 394     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 673     0 

Public Art in Toronto

I didn't know we were including memorials. Don't think of them as public art.

I must refresh my list then:

#1 Graff
#2 Memorials
#3 Coupland
#4 The rest......special shut out to Dupont Station which is in its entirety a work of public art.

#1 Graff
#2 Memorials
#3 Coupland
#4 The rest......special shut out to Dupont Station which is in its entirety a work of public art.

I thought about whether to mention it before I posted that comment. I think that if a memorial is characterized by sculpture and artistry, it can qualify as public art commisioned as part of an effort to memorialize something. If they didn't intend for the South African War Memorial to be public art, they would have gone with a plaque, a generic symbol like a cross, a building named after what was being memorialized, or a public space like a garden or square.

I thought about whether to mention it before I posted that comment. I think that if a memorial is characterized by sculpture and artistry, it can qualify as public art commisioned as part of an effort to memorialize something. If they didn't intend for the South African War Memorial to be public art, they would have gone with a plaque, a generic symbol like a cross, a building named after what was being memorialized, or a public space like a garden or square.

Yeah, that's a fair point and a good way of looking at it.

I sort of considered "public art" to be more pieces that weren't to be taken seriously. Sort of colour added to the streestcape. Or something of visual interest only there for the sake of having something of visual interest. Etc.

#1 Graff
#2 Memorials
#3 Coupland

Sadly, that last one is dire need of major maintenance.

Issues around cleanliness of same aside; there are significant cracks in the grout/tile work.

Its going to need comprehensive restoration/renewal.

Sadly, that last one is dire need of major maintenance.

Issues around cleanliness of same aside; there are significant cracks in the grout/tile work.

Its going to need comprehensive restoration/renewal.

Yeah, that's a fact...or at least it was the last time I was there some years ago (probably around 3 years back, at least)...can only imagine it's starting to look a bit sad. :(

It's too bad. It's a true gem. I mean, especially in this town where our subways stations are so ugly and utilitarian. Truly aesthetically criminal.

On the condition of the tile work at Dupont Station; some photos, from February 21st, 2021:

1613952510685.png

1613952541742.png

This is a shot of tiled ceiling: note the efflorescence

1613952651439.png

Now the platform level: Cracks, chips, missing tiles, discolouration of tile and grout:

1613952683237.png

1613952709089.png

1613952740989.png

1613952767253.png

Right through the mosaic:

1613952809515.png

1613952839874.png

1613952964709.png

I'm a big fan of public art that's integrated into the structural and functional elements of buildings. For instance, Dupont has Ron Baird's sculptural SciFi-esque doors, which provide access to an electrical substation. They're functional doors and at the same time, a work of art.

Such features are quite common in the Montreal Metro, which help to give the system its charm. For instance, there's the well-known "concrete tree" light fixture, which is a sculpture by Michel Dernuet.

Wow, I really hadn't been at Dupont Station in years....that is a pathetic and embarrassing sight.

Reminds me of my visit to the thirld world: Detroit in 2007.

I wonder what would James Sutherland think of the damage to his Spadina Summer Under All Seasons installation.

Since Dupont station is getting another of his artwork, it would present a good opportunity to repair Spadina Summer Under All Seasons under his supervision.

I'm not sure how you'd restore it; in terms of keeping what's there.

The extent of the damage is substantial.

Colour-matching tile and grout would be a @#$#

I think we're at the point of reproducing all the tile; stripping it all down; fixing some obvious leaks; and probably some underlying structural issues too; then re-tiling it all.

But that's not my field of expertise, so perhaps I'm incorrect.

Regardless, the current condition is not acceptable.

I don't know what it would take to fix that either, but it sure is a sad, sad comment on our society.

I'm not sure how you'd restore it; in terms of keeping what's there.

The extent of the damage is substantial.

Colour-matching tile and grout would be a @#$#

I think we're at the point of reproducing all the tile; stripping it all down; fixing some obvious leaks; and probably some underlying structural issues too; then re-tiling it all.

But that's not my field of expertise, so perhaps I'm incorrect.

Regardless, the current condition is not acceptable.
Spadina Summer Under All Seasons was completely untouched for repairs or renovations since it was added in 1977, one year before the station's opening in 1978. An art installation of that size, especially using mosaics, would be difficult to maintain over 40 years. Summertime Streetcar in Eglinton West station uses enamel and is in much better shape, despite being the same age as Spadina Summer Under All Seasons.

The mosaic art itself at Dupont Station seems to be in decent shape. The colourful material could be carefully removed and reapplied if need be. It's the orange tiles of the station walls that are in bad shape.

But they're just little round orange tiles. How hard would it be to issue an RFP to tile makers around the world to produce tiles of the same proportions, colour, and material?

The mosaic art itself at Dupont Station seems to be in decent shape. The colourful material could be carefully removed and reapplied if need be. It's the orange tiles of the station walls that are in bad shape.

But they're just little round orange tiles. How hard would it be to issue an RFP to tile makers around the world to produce tiles of the same proportions, colour, and material?

Replacing the tile shouldn't be a technical challenge.

It will, however, be expensive.

Doing the entire station, including ceilings in many spots will be into the millions.

There will be added costs, because one can see evidence of leaks, and some structural shift that will have to repaired or mitigated.

The art is an additional cost for installation, assuming its done the same way as the original.

(some savings might be achievable by applying it over the tiles or pre-fabbing whole sections of tile.

Though getting large sections down to the platform level could be interesting (maybe brought in by work car)

Last edited:

Back