News   May 09, 2024
 616     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2K     4 

Progress Place Renovation

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is happeining to the Progress Place office building on Church north of Wellesley. I have always thought that it was a blight and needed to be completely rebuilt; I hate split level retail.

Anyone have any information?

The sign just says they are renovating--which is too bad, i'd be happy to see it gone too. They have got rid of the exterior fire stairs, so hopefully it will be an inprovement.

That ugly beer store is one of the most profitable in the corporation's entire portfolio. I don't think they will ever leave that neighbourhood, but they should definitely consider rebuilding the store into more of an attractive outlet - and bring the damn thing out to the sidewalk on Church street!

exactly! A nice street side retail store would be much better. Even if they had a driveway beside to so people could park in the rear.

Too bad someone doesn't develop that ugly beer store on Church St. Such a waste.

The beer store site has been among Kyle Rae's bugaboos, and over the years he has more than once advocated the redevelopment of the site, to make for a more pedestrian-friendly/street-oriented beer store.

Whether the Beer Store is receptive, I do not know.

I notice that the Progress Place website timeline has a very short description of the work being undertaken:

2006. Received a capital grant from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care to renovate Progress Place's building, improving accessibility to prospective and current members with physical challenges.

Brewers' Retail has always been the most urban-regressive retailers out there, geared totally to the car-owner - just about every store is behind a parking lot on its own single-use site or in a crappy strip plaza. The new self-serve stores (usually on "pads") are mini Wal-Marts in their size and brutal design.

Even downtown stores like Bathurst and College or Church and Isabella or Gerrard and Ontario are this way, and it just doesn't work. LCBO is light years ahead, even in suburban locations.

I'm surprised no one has made a comment, but the Progress Place reno is pretty much done... and wow.. it turned out a lot uglier than I could imagine. Metal siding should be banned

I rather like it, especially when the exterior light fixtures are on - nice signage too.

For me, the only improvements are the elimination of the open area below grade and the glass-enclosed stair. Otherwise, it's neither worse nor better.

Progress Place has been an eyesore for years, this reno. is definitely an improvement. It's nothing to stand and admire but the large glass panels facing the street and staggered lighting strips along the front and sides are a welcome touch.

Back