News   May 06, 2024
 472     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 669     1 

Problematic Park Design - Why Some Parks Don't Work

Not sure if added already, but John Rebecca Park in downtown Hamilton has to qualify as one of the most sad park, consensus design. Such a lost opportunity in what will become a high density residential neighbourhood.
1000016352.png

Not sure if added already, but John Rebecca Park in downtown Hamilton has to qualify as one of the most sad park, consensus design. Such a lost opportunity in what will become a high density residential neighbourhood. View attachment 494629

That is well and truly abysmal. They had a foundation donate 1M towards it too. How embarrassing.

Ok, that's just terrible - that can't be finished ?

Sadly, been done for at least a year if not two. Only thing that it has attracted is a tent city.

Entirely predictable.

Mostly flat, mostly paved, and so unenticing as to have few, frequent. legitimate park users.

So it appears I did not get to posting my review of Dufferin Grove Park for @Towered, and now @evandyk.

I will now correct that oversight.

As per the norm, we'll start by looking at where this park is; and what the City says its supposed to be.

Dufferin Grove is a 5.3 hectare/13.2 acre park located opposite Dufferin Mall, just 2-3 blocks south of Bloor Street West.

1690314004759.png

This is what the City tells us we should find here:

1690314151803.png

That out of the way, lets start our tour.......... (Photos are mine, unless otherwise stated, and taken in early July '23)

We'll begin opposite Dufferin Mall, where a cross walk leads us to an entrance just a bit north of the park's southern boundary:

First, we're looking toward said entrance from the west/mall side of the street:

DSC02003.jpg

A bit underwhelming (no sign, no seats, no flowers right at the entrance....) But before we cross the road, let's look up the street to see how this park appears on its Dufferin frontage:

DSC02002.jpg

Lots of tree canopy above, that's nice, though it does include some non-native, invasive, Norway Maples..... but still; but i do have a critical thought here, the frontage is not 'forest', which is fine, for an urban park, but then it is sufficiently dense/unpruned that it does limit views into the park. Not a disaster by any means, but not entirely ideal. I also note the absence of a landscape zone for the sidewalk (buffering it from traffic), such that walking alongside the park is a less pleasant experience on its Dufferin side than one might hope.

Now back to our entrance as we cross the road:

DSC02004.jpg

Here we see the entrance consists of stairs, and is therefore not accessible to those using mobility aids. There are some accessible entrances, though the only one fronting Dufferin is currently closed.

The stairs themselves (the treads) are wood, and in poor condition, the railings, unattractive, unpainted and aging. We also see people have trodden a new path into the park beside the stairs, rather than use the former.

Overall, not a great start, we'll come back to how to address that later on..... for now, lets walk in....

The first thing we encounter on the narrow, and poorly maintained entry path is:

DSC02007.jpg

Never mind barriers to keep people outside Union Station safe from errant cars, Public Health needs to get everyone a Tetnus shot before they visit Dufferin Grove!

Ok, we're just past this lovely sign, lets look left and right to see the park just in from Dufferin:

DSC02008.jpg

Above, a fairly nice open space, grass in fair condition, and some people enjoying the late afternoon sun on the adjacent embankment. Its not a large enough area for a formal sports amenity, its not a bad spot for some picnic tables, though there aren't any here; but really, its fine, though, make note of how dense that line of trees next to Dufferin is (on the left), such that it virtually blocks all the sunlight out of that area at the bottom. I might argue that's excessive, but it does do a good job of screening the traffic/noise of Dufferin.

Now, let's look right:

DSC02009.jpg

More open space, grass is mostly decent, but not very popular relative to other parts of the park, maybe just a bit too much blank space here.

As we move forward a bit, we'll look, right, or south-west once more to the path that leads into the park from its south-west corner, at Dufferin:

DSC02010.jpg

Like the path we entered by, its narrow, and the access is in the form of stairs. This access clearly is not very popular, given that the grass is encroaching on the interlocking pavers, and there is no indication of a heavy wear on the grass at all.

Lets look forward, to the embanked, or upper portion of the park, before we go further.....

DSC02011.jpg

Huh, path is a bit wider, but yet another set of stairs. The elevation changes here are not huge, but there are lots of barriers for people w/mobility aids or strollers, particularly on the Dufferin side of the park.

Now one last glance back, along the path we came from, before we move up:

DSC02013.jpg

Now up we go:

DSC02014.jpg

We're looking due north, as we arrive at the top of the stairs. Once again, you see the vegetation next to Dufferin, and now the open grass which extends well into the park at the top of the embankment.

I don't think every space in a park needs 'programming'. Yet, I must confess to thinking this space seems a bit under used. Its not quite nature, its not quite a picnic space, its not a path, nor a super popular tanning spot; without being cluttery, I think this space could be just a bit more than it is.

On that note, we need to break here due to pictures per post limits, and we'll continue in the next post.

Continuing on...

The next two pictures reflect the view from the path we're on, looking to the north and west, and to the north (north-east of the path)

DSC02016.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

Above, we see a fair few trees, the path is now a bit wider, asphalt rather than brick, its in acceptable'ish condition, but is aging. We also see some picnic tables and benches, and standard City of Toronto park light fixtures that
are charitably, a bit blah, though they serve their purpose.

A quick diversion takes us to the south to visit the main entrance to the park from the south. On the upside, its accessible, and the paved path is amply wide.............on the other hand:

DSC02022.jpg

Its not particularly inviting. No seats, no entry court, no signage to speak of except for the tagged construction notice affixed to the gate. Ok....so its dull...........that's not the worst thing..........but.....wait, lets move just a smidge to the right.

DSC02023.jpg

Ok then...... we have 3 different paths, a pile of our favourite garbage cans, a thoroughly tagged shed, a port-a-potty (in a park that has washrooms), a railing beside one path for no obvious reason that is in decidedly poor condition; a curb that looks like a giant trip hazard and thank goodness for the 'no exit' and 'no parking' signs, those seem aptly placed.......

Now let's take a closer look at that construction sign on the gate........

DSC02024.jpg

Well, that's good, we can see Parks can afford stickers to update everyone on their delays. Errr..... (spoiler alert......... they didn't make their revised June '23 deadline, as we'll see later)

As we wander along, we encounter the park's outdoor kitchen:

DSC02027.jpg

While this is a neat feature of the park, and speaks to the strong community engagement here, I have to confess I'm not taken by this. A lot of mud, and the background structure, I'm sure is supposed to be playful/childlike, but as a middle-aged spoil sport..... yeah, I'm not getting it. It just looks really rough. I support this type of feature, but this is not the way I would choose to deliver it. Another item to discuss later.

I will say this though, at least they did include some dining space in the form of picnic tables nearby, which were in use during my visit.

DSC02028.jpg

Moving along............

Now we've shift towards the east side of the park, and as we do so, we encounter a very large wading pool that had just been drained for the day:

DSC02029.jpg

Further east, behind the pool is one of the more interesting spaces in the park, and was by far the busiest during my visit:

DSC02031.jpg

What you're seeing above, might be described as the City's largest, non-beach, sandbox. Its filled with rocks, and wood, both loose and fixed, and assorted kids toys. It also has its own water connection, allowing the kids to flood the space or fill buckets w/water to allow them to go make sand castles or the like.

This close-up shot doesn't really capture the hubub and excitement of more than a dozen kids, but I was mindful of not invading privacy:

DSC02032.jpg

The kids were making a river, with bridges of lumber.

The liability hawks in City legal hate this sort of think, as to the risk management types. The locals here have always told them to stuff it; and good on them! I would have loved this type of thing as a little kid, and it was bustling.

Across from this area and the wading pool is the park's playground:

DSC02030.jpg

Its very large, with a wide range of equipment types for kids of all ages. They don't build'em like this very often, never did. It wasn't as a busy as the 'sand box' but it was busy w/kids when I passed by.

On that note, I'm again up against the picture limit, so we'll continue in the next post.

As we continue on from the playground, moving north through the park......'

We encounter the park's soccer pitch, which is the defining element of the north-east section of the park:

DSC02034.jpg

The field seems like a good asset and is in reasonable condition, though I wonder at the lack of lighting for night-use. In a city very short of soccer facilities that might be a sensible choice here.

Just to the south of the field is the principle entrance path to the park coming in from the east:

DSC02035.jpg

Its not really paved........... and lacks seating along its edge for the most part, it also lacks dedicated lighting.

As we head back to the west, so we can follow the main N-S pathway in the park, we encounter a fire pit:

DSC02039.jpg

As I passed by, there was still a residual fire in the pit, and no one attending to it. That's bad practice! However, the area around it has a low risk for catching, there is an adjacent water source (points for putting that in) and it was not a windy day, so not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Still. I like fire pits, and I would like people to use them responsibly, so we could have more, rather than fewer.

Just north of the fire pit, one finds a quaint, winding path that will lead you down to Dufferin Street:

DSC02042.jpg

A bit to the north, beside the soccer pitch is one of the park's permanent washrooms:

DSC02045.jpg

Its a quaint little building, but its overall condition and interior lighting visible in the shot above probably seem more apt for a horror film shoot than family-friendly park.

There's a small 'community garden nearby, which looks ok, but was blocked off, as entry was reserved to 'volunteers'. I'm a little mixed in my view of how appropriate that is........

DSC02047.jpg

One other observation about the above. Anyone else see a problem? Hint, you're looking south here, which is the direction from which this garden gets its sun......

Yes, that's right, someone thought it was a great spot to plant a shade tree! LOL. Newsflash, the vegetable growers will not be impressed in 10 years time...

As we wander into the construction zone in the north-west of the park, we encounter its outdoor rink, which is now completely re-done and re-opened, though fences surround it due to ongoing work. The rink is set-up for skate-boarding for the summer season:

DSC02052.jpg

As we pass the above, exit the park as its northern reach; and turn back to look at its entrance here:

DSC02054.jpg

The landscape around the entrance is an obvious issue, but I'll try to be hopeful that that might be addressed by the ongoing construction. A quick glance to the left/east shows a further problem:

DSC02053.jpg

Here we see people trampling the grass to make a beeline for their preferred destination, which is either the soccer pitch or the washroom; either way, this should probably be a formal path. If the City would prefer otherwise, they will have to do a better job of obstructing that pedestrian movement.

We're not quite done, we'll take a look now at the ongoing construction in the north-west of the park, which, cough, was supposed to be finished in June '23, according to our 'revised' sign.

DSC02055.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

Finally, the park's main entrance from the north-west corner, the one where the Farmer's market used to historically be located:

DSC02061.jpg

Needless to say, they'll be very lucky to get this done by Labour Day weekend.

That wraps our visit to Dufferin Grove Park.

Overall, a popular space with some great features; but one clearly suffering some neglect, facing some accessibility challenges, and maybe not using all of its spaces quite as fully as it might.

A very solid park, but one in need of additional investments.

I will discuss my ideas for the park in a future post, but must now run some errands!

Last edited:
What you're seeing above, might be described as the City's largest, non-beach, sandbox. Its filled with rocks, and wood, both loose and fixed, and assorted kids toys. It also has its own water connection, allowing the kids to flood the space or fill buckets w/water to allow them to go make sand castles or the like.

This close-up shot doesn't really capture the hubub and excitement of more than a dozen kids, but I was mindful of not invading privacy:

The kids were making a river, with bridges of lumber.

The liability hawks in City legal hate this sort of think, as to the risk management types. The locals here have always told them to stuff it; and good on them! I would have loved this type of thing as a little kid, and it was bustling.

This sand feature has got to be one of the coolest free things for kids in the city. I only discovered it recently, and my kid is a tad bit too old to fully enjoy it. I only wish we knew about it before. A true hidden gem. Building rivers and dams and bridges...child me would've been in heaven.

I walked through last week on the way to see the laneway house construction, and the trees and grass are great, but the walkways and other amenities are a bit decrepit. I'm no expert, and I will like lounging in the shade, but will probably not make use of the rest of it.

Back