News   Apr 24, 2024
 141     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 602     0 

Problematic Park Design - Why Some Parks Don't Work

@Northern Light

Regarding the exposed dirt throughout June Rowlands Park, it is very popular with picnickers and hosting large-scale parties, as well as people playing soccer as there are no designated publicly accessible soccer fields in the area.

The Geneva Centre for Autism (based on Merton Street a few blocks to the south) hosts an annual picnic at the park with many inflatable castles, popcorn machines, fire trucks, and such.

All those large picnics and large-scale parties (and impromptu soccer playing) put a huge toll on the grass in the park.

That may explain it, in part.

The dimensions of the area in the sun, in front of the washroom are far too small for a regulation soccer pitch for teens/adults; but you could, just, squeeze in a junior pitch for those 8 and under.

In general, well maintained grass can with withstand some informal play and picnickers without too much damage. But large, heavy machines, tents, carnival rides etc. would do damage.

You could probably squeeze an 8 and under pitch in to the south of the ball diamond (very tight).

Maybe the area in front of the washroom then gets a small formal plaza (hard surface), the new butterfly garden and then an intentional picnic space with permanent tables and some refreshed grass, with some seat walls around it, or other protection to reduce excessive wear.

We actually took the kid to June Rowlands last weekend because my father-in-law moved in near there. Kid loved the playground, but the musical stuff was a bit of a side show. He tapped on all of it, but it didn't hold his attention.

Hey @Northern Light. Can you direct me to the highest review you've given to a park so far?

You realize you made me scan all 19 pages of this thread, LOL.

I haven't kept an Excel spread sheet of them, and I never gave any park a star-rating, so they aren't ranked as such.

Of the parks I included as positive examples, where I either found nothing, or very little to quibble with..........

We have

Corktown Common, the Music Garden, St. James Park would probably be a clear top 3.

Corktown Common's Review is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1694378

Music Garden is discussed here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1659194

St. James is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1663499

Last edited:
He likes Sugar Beach too, because you see a lot of boats and planes, can build sand castles, and watch the huge sugar scoop at work if you're lucky.

Took my toddler to Amos Waites park recently for the first time. One of the more decent parks in Etobicoke (most of them are lame).

On the long weekend we went out to Mississauga intending to visit Rattray Marsh, but the kid just wanted to play in the playground at Jack Darling. So we drove like 45 minutes each way so he could play in a playground way worse than St. James or Corktown.

You realize you made me scan all 19 pages of this thread, LOL.

I haven't kept an Excel spread sheet of them, and I never gave any park a star-rating, so they aren't ranked as such.

Of the parks I included as positive examples, where I either found nothing, or very little to quibble with..........

We have

Corktown Common, the Music Garden, St. James Park would probably be a clear top 3.

Corktown Common's Review is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1694378

Music Garden is discussed here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1659194

St. James is here: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...n-why-some-parks-dont-work.32075/post-1663499

Thanks, Northern. I think Music Garden is top for me.

On the long weekend we went out to Mississauga intending to visit Rattray Marsh, but the kid just wanted to play in the playground at Jack Darling. So we drove like 45 minutes each way so he could play in a playground way worse than St. James or Corktown.
Ratray is just okay, but the lakeshore is always nice.

I wanted to go to the pebble beach and skip stones with him, but he just wanted to stay on the playground.
As you like diversions, there is an interesting one in your new hood. I have seen people with youngsters grab a coffee/pastry and sit on a bench at the Bloor UPX station. As there are three different types of trains coming by every couple of minutes it seems to be a hit. Lol

He loves that stuff. We sat on the patio at Amsterdam last weekend and he was in heaven watching the planes and helicopters landing at the airport. And of course we see a lot of planes and trains from our balcony. He also loves making fun of the traffic jams on the Gardiner :) (I may have influenced him in this regard...)

IMG_5205.jpeg

I saw this on Twitter, and it makes me wonder how widespread this sentiment is against parks that incorporate some sort of naturalization? I personally really enjoy to see the return of ecosystems that were lost during the city’s growth and the use of native plants to support local wildlife, but I don’t know if this is shared by many other Torontonians? Just a thought.

View attachment 490130
I saw this on Twitter, and it makes me wonder how widespread this sentiment is against parks that incorporate some sort of naturalization? I personally really enjoy to see the return of ecosystems that were lost during the city’s growth and the use of native plants to support local wildlife, but I don’t know if this is shared by many other Torontonians? Just a thought.

I think the one thing he gets right is his appreciation of Cormier; but he gets the reason entirely wrong.

Cormier isn't anti-nature, and when we look at the parks in this thread that don't work, nature is generally not a factor.

What Cormier gets right isn't complicated, and that's the art.

His work is rarely high concept. Instead, it simply asks 'What do People like?

Answer: Water features, Beaches, A mix of sun and shade, Pretty, A sense of discovery, something you might not expect, something quirky that's not just like all the other parks.
Combined with good sightlines, good seating, good lighting, and quality finishes.

When you look one of the other most loved 'designed' parks in the City, from MVVA, its very nature-forward.

That park is immensely popular.

I'm not actually sure what he's on about when talks about 'fake swamps'

The only thing I can think of at all like that might be the small wetland feature in Village of Yorkville Park. Again, a very popular park.

The correct version of his sentiment is simply that Cormier designs parks for the users of the park, not out of artistic conceit.

Back