News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 694     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

It is a no-win situation for Ford. If he backtracks he runs the risk of pissing off a large swath of the 905 (not to mention denting his credibility) where he currently holds seats. However, if he does not backtrack it plays into Bonnie Crombie's hands and makes her look like the champion here.
Ford has credibility? Who knew? Seriously, he has waffled and flip flopped and backtracked so many times.

He should backtrack anyway. Crombie already wants to keep Peel Regional Police. It's a dumb idea.

Neither Mississauga nor Brampton want to get rid of Peel Police. The only question mark is how they're funded.

Although I wonder, once Peel is dissolved, what do you call Peel Police? Keep the name? Change the name to Mississauga-Brampton Police?

Neither Mississauga nor Brampton want to get rid of Peel Police. The only question mark is how they're funded.

Although I wonder, once Peel is dissolved, what do you call Peel Police? Keep the name? Change the name to Mississauga-Brampton Police?
It might be a matter of perspective; do they not want to get rid of PRP or do they not want to pay the full freight for their own service.

Even a name like that would be fraught with ego; Mississauga-Brampton or Brampton-Mississauga? The mind reels.

Premier Ford trained his sights on potential provincial Liberal leadership candidate and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie Wednesday, saying it would be a "slap in the face" to residents for her to continue in the city's top job while campaigning to lead the third-place party.

A visibly irritated Ford said Crombie's provincial ambitions are about her own "political agenda" and that staying on as mayor while running for the Liberal leadership would mean neglecting her constituents.

"Bonnie is going to be running around the province not worrying about the people of Mississauga. In my opinion, it's a real slap in the face to the residents there," he said.

Ford made the comments at an unrelated announcement in London, Ont.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ford-crombie-liberal-leadership-1.6853001

Then what's the point of splitting peel region, are they for real? 🤣

Premier Ford trained his sights on potential provincial Liberal leadership candidate and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie Wednesday, saying it would be a "slap in the face" to residents for her to continue in the city's top job while campaigning to lead the third-place party.

A visibly irritated Ford said Crombie's provincial ambitions are about her own "political agenda" and that staying on as mayor while running for the Liberal leadership would mean neglecting her constituents.

"Bonnie is going to be running around the province not worrying about the people of Mississauga. In my opinion, it's a real slap in the face to the residents there," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ford-crombie-liberal-leadership-1.6853001
Poor Thug is shitting his pants because he's clearly scared of her, haha! 🤣

Then what's the point of splitting peel region, are they for real? 🤣
To appease Mississauga, who are the majority "breadwinners" in the region.

Doug's a ridiculously hypocritical jack hole. One minute, he'll complain that two government offices are buying pencils from different suppliers in the name of "inefficiency", the next he's happy to download a metric tonne of inefficiency on a region of ~1.4m.

Keep the name, no point in changing it now.

Crybaby...why did you blow up Peel Region then? What an act of self sabotage.

Keep the name, no point in changing it now.
Here's something to consider: even if the governmental entity will be defunct, Peel will in all likelihood--*should* in all likelihood--remain a geographic entity, recognized by the census, one with a long history going back to the c19, etc. And if the region-wide police force--or a region-wide *anything*--remains post-region, there's nothing wrong with it retaining the historical name, unless someone decides that the, uh, "good name" of Sir Robert Peel has sufficient skeletons to require cancellation a la Dundas or Ryerson...

Under the heading of 'be careful what you wish for', a nuclear option that the government certainly won't exercise, is dissolving both Mississauga and Brampton into a single Municipality of Peel. population about 1.4Mn. Problem solved. 😁

Under the heading of 'be careful what you wish for', a nuclear option that the government certainly won't exercise, is dissolving both Mississauga and Brampton into a single Municipality of Peel. population about 1.4Mn. Problem solved. 😁

And that had happened during Harris under the guise of "efficiencies", so it's really not that nuclear.

AoD

The real 'nuclear' option here is offering @lenaitch appointment as Peel's Future Czar.

If you draw that kind of sensible, reasonableness out of retirement, you never know what might happen! Things might inadvertently end up sensible.

And that had happened during Harris under the guise of "efficiencies", so it's really not that nuclear.

AoD
I'm not sure how the Conservative war room viewed the Harris moves after action. A lot of his tinkering was amalgamating rural municipalities and/or small towns into larger ones, which was probably pretty benign. There were a lot of unhappy people in places like Chatham-Kent, City of Kawartha Lakes and rural Ottawa, however. How that shook out in the long term I don't know.

Different bull; different china shop.
The real 'nuclear' option here is offering @lenaitch appointment as Peel's Future Czar.

If you draw that kind of sensible, reasonableness out of retirement, you never know what might happen! Things might inadvertently end up sensible.
Ha! Thanks for the endorsement but I have no stomach for such things. I am (or was when I was working), at best, a benevolent dictator. Besides, they'd probably want me to drive there everyday.

I'm not sure how the Conservative war room viewed the Harris moves after action. A lot of his tinkering was amalgamating rural municipalities and/or small towns into larger ones, which was probably pretty benign. There were a lot of unhappy people in places like Chatham-Kent, City of Kawartha Lakes and rural Ottawa, however. How that shook out in the long term I don't know.

Different bull; different china shop.
Probably more of a *shrug* what-can-you-do.
But really; the biggest victim of all of this is a kind of old-school "municipal identity"--that is, when townships and towns are reduced to wards within an amalgamated entity, it reduces said identity to something rather utilitarian: less about "place" than about "representation".

And I'm just reflecting on how utterly *extinct* this kind of once-drilled-into-our-heads lay-of-the-land is
The visualizing of Ontario in terms of county boundaries, or of places shown according to population size (or the charms of looking up the population figures in the map index)--who has that kind of "mental map" anymore?
Or even the more elaborate, back-roady 80s-style maps, with their more elaborate depictions of municipal boundaries.

People don't have such mental maps of Ontario anymore. Their Ontario might as well be boundary-free, population-size-free. Or even map-free, in a GPS age. So within that void of palpable *map* identity, the kind of municipal structure doesn't matter anymore except in the most utilitarian terms...

Back