News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

It's just that they were once a semi-useful website for local information.

It appears now that they are turning into a woke SJW forum.
There have been articles written with this important information for years. It doesn’t make anyone “woke SJW”. People aren’t always aware of their rights and of the information they can / can’t be asked. I have cringed many times over the years hearing employers continue to ask women, for example, if they plan to take time off to have babies.

Not sure where to properly post this but Blogto has hit a new low.

For a moment I thought they were hacked but no.. they just found a new extremist soapbox.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2023/06/looking-for-a-job-in-toronto-companies-discriminating/

Huh? This doesn't belong in this thread; this is about the Ontario Human Right Commission guidelines on employment applications.

Also, while BlogTO journalism, cough, leaves a great deal to be desired, I'm not sure how reporting on what the Human Rights Commission's guidelines are; and that several large employers don't follow them, qualifies as extremist.

You could disagree w/the guidelines, but they weren't written by BlogTO....

There have been articles written with this important information for years. It doesn’t make anyone “woke SJW”. People aren’t always aware of their rights and of the information they can / can’t be asked. I have cringed many times over the years hearing employers continue to ask women, for example, if they plan to take time off to have babies.
A company I used to work for existed for years without an HR person. Eventually they decided to hire a woman for the newly created position, but then fired her after a few months because she got pregnant...

It's a big issue for small and medium sized businesses. You hire and train someone, and then after within a year or two of being hired, for personal reasons they vanish for 14-18 months during which you cannot permanently replace them, and then when the original employee returns you're often compelled to terminate or at best reassign the person who's been doing the job well for sometimes close to two years. We need babies, I get it, but shouldn't there be some compensation for businesses when the government requires them to take a financial hit? I know companies that prefer to hire women in their 40s for this reason.

It's a big issue for small and medium sized businesses. You hire and train someone, and then after within a year or two of being hired, for personal reasons they vanish for 14-18 months during which you cannot permanently replace them, and then when the original employee returns you're often compelled to terminate or at best reassign the person who's been doing the job well for sometimes close to two years. We need babies, I get it, but shouldn't there be some compensation for businesses when the government requires them to take a financial hit? I know companies that prefer to hire women in their 40s for this reason.
So what do you suggest? I have know people to be "let go or laid off" because they were pregnant, hiring women over 40 has problems too, they might have young children at home and problems do arise too albeit not for long term. Employers do hire short term employees to fill in for women on maternity leave, they get trained prior to the event and sign a contract employing them for said term. BTW men are taking maternity leave too, in order to care for infant so their wife may or want to return to the workforce. BTW: we do not vanish, we simply take leave to care for an infant which is a proven benefit for both mother and child and employer, yes babies cry, need to be fed every 3 to 4 hrs and an exhausted employee might not be an asset.

It may be an issue, but you can’t ask about it or include it as part of your hiring process. I owned a small business for years. There are a lot of issues, but those don’t supersede basic human rights.

So what do you suggest?
There is no solution really. Companies are expected to take whatever the financial and business hits are as part of greater societal gain. Maybe maternity leave tax credits for businesses? IDK.

I got my first job by filling a mat leave position, and when the employee came back they found me a permanent place elsewhere, so it was a good foot in the door.

I got my first job by filling a mat leave position, and when the employee came back they found me a permanent place elsewhere, so it was a good foot in the door.
That is usually what happens, the temporary contract employee is on, essentially, 'probation' and if they 'pass' they get slotted into a suitable vacancy.

Back