1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

His government, perhaps.

AoD
yup... do not give the government once cent, just directly give it to the conservative party, I am sure they will make sure it will trickle down.....
But seriously what's in Doug's brownie squares, taxes are basically our contribution to the government, is he suggesting we with hold them?

Dumb cluckery.....

From November 21, 2019...

Doug Ford 'proud' of tearing up hundreds of green energy contracts

Documents show Ford government spent more than $230 million to cancel renewable energy projects

See link.

While...

Renewables were the world’s cheapest source of energy in 2020, new report shows

See link.

responsive_large_webp_W67wrTsaw6pklY1YXzzh6gOII1rjxhf-XDHN1_P7TzI.webp

responsive_large_webp_nk4SRFO4V9FK33DRXg75URMYDF0vWyryAOOJcxhkm6A.webp

How do you toll every highway in the province? This isn't just a GTA/controlled access highway issue.

How about tolls for controlled-access highways, as a surcharge for their use; and an odometer read every time you get your plate renewed, and the renewal fee is base + per 100km driven?

Just a thought.

How about tolls for controlled-access highways, as a surcharge for their use; and an odometer read every time you get your plate renewed, and the renewal fee is base + per 100km driven?

Just a thought.
I suppose a toll on every controlled-access highway, as a surcharge, could work. That is essentially what happens now; although the up-front infrastructure charge would be significant, and likely seriously impact things like tourism and the cost of goods. Every rig carry goods entering at Windsor or the Quebec border would have to pay, and if is somehow engineered to be revenue neutral, then the concept of 'surcharge' kinda goes out the window.

I'm not sure a per-km based renewal fee could be implemented. Odometer photos with the renewal? Criminal investigations for those photoshopped (it would be a fraud after all)?

I suppose a toll on every controlled-access highway, as a surcharge, could work. That is essentially what happens now; although the up-front infrastructure charge would be significant, and likely seriously impact things like tourism and the cost of goods. Every rig carry goods entering at Windsor or the Quebec border would have to pay, and if is somehow engineered to be revenue neutral, then the concept of 'surcharge' kinda goes out the window.

I'm not sure a per-km based renewal fee could be implemented. Odometer photos with the renewal? Criminal investigations for those photoshopped (it would be a fraud after all)?
They already ask for the odometer reading at license plate renewal time. No proof, just your "written" word.

You could mandate that at any transfer of ownership, the odometer must be read/recorded during the safety inspection and the road toll would have to be trued up at that point. Could also mandate a minimum renewal fee based on the average VMTs each year, and a rebate applied at any transfer of ownership. Otherwise you could get the odometer read at a Service Ontario location. Would only be worth it for those with big differences. Or require that the odometer reading be recorded physically every 3-4 years.

It's a lot like reading utility meters.

The odometer information produced by an OBD-II port can be inaccurate. However, it could be close, so one can find out it the odometer was tampered with.

From link.

It might surprise you, but on-board diagnostics dongles aren’t able to access a vehicle’s actual odometer reading. Instead, OBD dongles calculate a car’s approximate mileage information based on its location as well as the start and end of the driver’s trips. As you can imagine, inferring mileage from location and trips comes with inevitable inaccuracies. On top of that, if the dongle wrongly detects the start or end of a trip, small imprecisions can turn into significant errors.
2004-Lexus-ES-330%20%2837%29.jpg

From link.

You could mandate that at any transfer of ownership, the odometer must be read/recorded during the safety inspection and the road toll would have to be trued up at that point. Could also mandate a minimum renewal fee based on the average VMTs each year, and a rebate applied at any transfer of ownership. Otherwise you could get the odometer read at a Service Ontario location. Would only be worth it for those with big differences. Or require that the odometer reading be recorded physically every 3-4 years.

It's a lot like reading utility meters.
I actually like the idea of a reading being part of a safety inspection, but that can be awfully infrequent. For anything fee that purports to be on a 'per-use' basis, it needs to be halfways contemporary and accurate. I'm not a fan of using some sort of broad average because it is so broad, and departs from its 'per-use' basis and just becomes an arbitrary fee - kinda like we already have.

There is little similarity with utility meters. My power meter is wi-fi and somebody comes around and physically reads my gas (I don't know what they do with municipal water systems). The government has gone to great lengths to drive plate, etc. renewals online and I doubt they would be willing to pay for Service Ontario to bundle up and toddle out to the parking lot.

Back