News   Aug 12, 2024
 16     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 833     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

The Liberals had from 2003 to 2018 to take the lead on minimum wages, but they did little until their final year. It’s disingenuous to suggest that minimum wage increases is a Liberal issue when they ignored it for the fifteen years they held power at Queen‘s Park.

Not quite true:

cp-ont-minimum-wage.png

The late jump basically restored the increase that would have otherwise had happened between 2010-15.

AoD

Last edited:
Not quite true:

cp-ont-minimum-wage.png

The late jump basically restored the increase that would have otherwise had happened between 2010-15.

AoD
Yes, that's why I said they did little (little ≠ zero) until their final year, 2018 when they granted a nearly 21% increase. If the OLP was the champion of minimum wage increases McGuinty/Wynne would have not left the rate unchanged for many years. That's how Doug Ford was able to steal the issue from the OLP. Mind you, it'll likely be well into his third term before he raises it again, so the OLP can have a chance to do it right.

Yes, that's why I said they did little (little ≠ zero) until their final year, 2018 when they granted a nearly 21% increase. If the OLP was the champion of minimum wage increases McGuinty/Wynne would have not left the rate unchanged for many years. That's how Doug Ford was able to steal the issue from the OLP. Mind you, it'll likely be well into his third term before he raises it again, so the OLP can have a chance to do it right.

There was a 25-30% increase between 2005-10 (not sure if that was "little"); and of course we knew what happened in the early 2010s. Also, Doug Ford actually cancelled the planned increase when he took power - I am not sure how you can "steal" something if he had cancelled it in the first place.

AoD

Last edited:
How is it phoney? The only reason any politician does anything is to seek re-election.
He cancelled it with glee upon taking power. Now, heading into an election year with the polls looking unfavourable, he suddenly brings it back to make himself appear the generous saviour. It's a classic (though extremely cynical) ploy.

Eliminating the server min wage is a good step. I wouldn't mind toning down/eliminating tipping culture--staff should be paid properly without having to prostrate themselves for creepy patrons.
A certain contingent of servers would fight against that tooth and nail.

The culture amongst some restaurant servers (especially those in fine dining) is they deserve every last penny of a given tip, the rest of the place be damned. They complained when tips were shared with back-of-house and I know several who would work for nothing if they could take home all of their tips (hint; they can take home thousands a week). It's sad that there are places where servers can make more annually than the chef-de-cuisine, and regularly make more with no formal education at the entry level than the very lowest-level cook who has a (often required, in most places these days) two year culinary school diploma.

That side of hospitality can be a very big ego trip. Some get off on the "I'm the person who truly makes the customer happy!"-idea.

He cancelled it with glee upon taking power. Now, heading into an election year with the polls looking unfavourable, he suddenly brings it back.....
That's politics in action. We may hate DoFo for it, we may think it's cynical, or not enough, etc, etc. but he's swept a leg out from under both the NDP and the resurgence plans of the OLP. I predict another PC majority in 2022, with a significant drop for the NDP and an equal rise of the OLP. Maybe by 2026 we'll see the OLP return to minority government with the NDP's help.
beneficiary of privilege....
Sigh, can be park the woke'isms? Such chatter about privilege and other campus woke politics is why the US Dems are going to lose both branches of Congress in 2022 and the Presidency in 2024. Most people, IMO do not want to hear all this woke talk. People want the semblance of good governance without being overtaxed, that's what Ford is giving the people and that's why he's going to win a majority in 2022. Myself, I'm going to vote NDP once more in Toronto Centre, but Horvath has not presented herself as an credible alternative to Ontarians outside of Toronto and the far north.

Last edited:
Well, there's 17 minutes of my life I'm never getting back. I just read the 2021 Fall Economic Statement (mini-budget)....

Link here: https://budget.ontario.ca/2021/fallstatement/contents.html

Let me save most of you some time.........there's no there there.

Lots of existing promises re-iterated. Precious little is new.

Minimum Wage, Highway 413 and Bradford Bypass, re-iteration of SSE, Ontario Line and Sheppard Subway East (but not west which is a problem......but I digress)....., mostly the same projects in healthcare and long term care that were already known.

There really wasn't even much of anything in terms of new timelines or details on those projects.

The new stuff, such as it is, one or two hospitals moved into the redevelopment picture, but with no clear timelines/budgets etc. (Trillium's Mississauga Campus the most notable of these).......also
redevelopment of Uxbridge hospital in the north-east GTA.

Conspicuous by its absence was no mention of the badly needed rebuild of Scarborough Hospital.

But really, most projects lacked any useful specifics.

Elsewise, if you take a staycation next year (vacation in Ontario) some of your costs will be eligible for up to a 20% rebate on your taxes. Woohoo! Time to find the top tier hotel in the Sault! LOL

Minimum Wage, Highway 413 and Bradford Bypass, re-iteration of SSE, Ontario Line and Sheppard Subway East (but not west which is a problem......but I digress)....., mostly the same projects in healthcare and long term care that were already known.

I wonder if the Bradford By-Pass and Highway 413 will tank their chances in the 905. IIRC it swerves around a golf course owned by a PC supporter and cuts right through a residential neighbourhood.

What were they thinking!?

I wonder if the Bradford By-Pass and Highway 413 will tank their chances in the 905. IIRC it swerves around a golf course owned by a PC supporter and cuts right through a residential neighbourhood.

What were they thinking!?
Not to mention that most, if not all, of the towns and cities directly affected by it are against the proposal.

Not to mention that most, if not all, of the towns and cities directly affected by it are against the proposal.

For that reason alone I can see it ending up like the Spadina Expressway.

A nice idea designed to serve a useful purpose but it would kill their chances politically.

Back