News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 620     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

The RCMP investigation will likely be ongoing until early 2025. That would give Ford about a year plus to get ready for the 2026 election. But yes, I also foresee Ford winning a third term. Crombie and Stiles will divide the centre-left and give a majority to Ford even if he wins only about 35% of the vote.
It really depends what other scandals arise in the mean time and how the province is doing economically. Presumably the current high inflation period and (likely ensuing) recession will have passed by then.

And some NDP or Liberal support will move towards the other if they are the more likely ones to defeat the PCs. There's rarely a perfect split in Ontario politics, but it is possible.
And even if there remains a lack of clarity on that front, the individual seats will make a difference--that is, 35-27-27 province-wide doesn't mean every PC seat is headed for a 35-27-27 equivalent result. And we know from the current Polish parliamentary election how strategic alliances among non-frontrunning parties can make a difference (even if the electoral system's somewhat different)

If you thought the above was funny, wait for this:

1698071545672.png

That's as strong and clear language for a u-turn in government policy and admission of political failure as I've seen in this government. And obviously there was consideration to release that on a Monday to ensure media coverage.

Related: https://nationalpost.com/news/two-m...rnment-for-400000-compensation-over-greenbelt

Two Ontario municipalities are asking the provincial government to reimburse them for more than $400,000 in costs they incurred while working on the now-reversed Greenbelt land removals in their communities.

Premier Doug Ford admitted last month that his government’s November 2022 decision to remove 15 parcels from the protected Greenbelt for housing development — a move now the subject of an RCMP investigation — was a mistake, and his new housing minister has now started the process to return them.

But Pickering, Ont., the site of the largest parcel of land by far, and Grimsby, Ont., where two other sites had been slated for removal, say they spent a lot of money and staff time working on those plans, and they want to be compensated.

I think developers are going to sue the gov't for their costs too no? :(

Related: https://nationalpost.com/news/two-m...rnment-for-400000-compensation-over-greenbelt

I think developers are going to sue the gov't for their costs too no? :(

The legislation introduced by the government includes a prohibition on suing the government in respect of this decision.

In general, government cannot be sued for public policy decisions, but can in some cases of malfeasance.

The gov't bills preclude even that.

I could see those bills being challenged on that basis; but it would be a very expensive legal fight; and its likely one that even other parties would uphold; so I'm not sure how many will want to go there.

The gov't has any number of tools at its disposal to penalize what it sees as problem actors; so I would think there may be some reticence there.

Edit to add:

There is actually one lawsuit over the original McGuinty Greenbelt, that's been ongoing for ages........

The gov't bill specifically identifies that lawsuit and quashes it.

I'm not sure if that's a legal first, but its certainly very rare.

Back