News   May 08, 2024
 297     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 642     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

I'd be in favour of this actually, albeit modified. Regional governments in the current context are basically useless. They're too large to deal with local issues, but too small to deal with truly regional issues (the GTHA region extends far beyond the borders of any one "region"). If we're going to have regional governments, at least make it one government that actually covers the entire region.

Upload the responsibilities of each of the regional governments into a single regional government, and then de-amalgamate the City of Toronto within this context. In essence, re-create Metro Toronto, but expand its mandate to include the entire GTA (purposely minus Hamilton). I'd go even further and de-amalgamate cities like Mississauga under this context. Under this type of configuration, we would have smaller lower-tier municipalities that would be able to effectively respond to local desires, and an overarching Metro government that can effectively tackle regional planning and infrastructure.

That's old stuff - basically what Anne Golden proposed decades ago. Except that's not what we're getting in this move. It's purely about getting votes - not some grand principle on restructuring regional governance they intend to carry out.

AoD

That's old stuff - basically what Anne Golden proposed decades ago. Except that's not what we're getting in this move. It's purely about getting votes - not some grand principle on restructuring regional governance they intend to carry out.

AoD
That's true about the Anne Golden part, but I think that absent that larger structural change this dissolution is actually a step in the right direction. A city the size of Mississauga should not be beholden to a region that they're almost half of in terms of population. Absent a truly regional government, single tier municipal status for Brampton and Mississauga is the way to go.

That's true about the Anne Golden part, but I think that absent that larger structural change this dissolution is actually a step in the right direction. A city the size of Mississauga should not be beholden to a region that they're almost half of in terms of population. Absent a truly regional government, single tier municipal status for Brampton and Mississauga is the way to go.

Except that it really isn't "beholden" considering regional governance is derived from representative of both regions (plus Caledon) - this will be true of any regional form of governance. Also I am not suare about the wisdom of replicating regional functions municipally and then presumably taking them all away again - it is a waste of energy and resources. Plus there is the question of equity - why should some municipalities of similar sizes not be independent and yet others should be?

AoD

Last edited:
Except that it really isn't "beholden" considering regional governance is derived from representative of both regions (plus Caledon) - this will be true of any regional form of governance. Also I am not suare about the wisdom of replicating regional functions municipally and then presumably taking them all away again - it is a waste of energy and resources. Plus there is the question of equity - why should some municipalities of similar sizes not be independent and yet others should be?

AoD
Don't confuse our poor dullard of a premier with such logic.

The official press release about the dissolution of Peel Region is here:

The bits that we get out of it aren't substantial at this juncture.

This is most of what we got:

1684441789370.png

They appear to be proposing to take Caledon single-tier; that would really peculiar, and make for some mind blowing tax hikes.

This should be interesting:

Both Brampton and Mississauga have been in an unhappy marriage for a number of years, with Caledon seemingly just an illegitimate child.

If this goes through, the transition is going to be interesting; it's pretty hard to unscramble an omelette that was first poured in the pan almost 50 years ago.
I am against this completely. This is so Bonnie can have her own fiefdom. And so she won't run for the Liberals either. None of these will have the money for police or fire. Or water.

I would love to see Toronto broken up personally.

Metro was not a bad thing and honestly Toronto is too large to manage itself effectively. Having 5 cities and 1 Borough once again would really help focus on local issues and potentially eliminate alot of issues we currently face.

The only problem I can foresee would be with things like the TDSB, Toronto Hydro, etc. Keep in mind that Scarborough had the Scarborough Board of Education and Scarborough Public Utilities. The other parts of Toronto had the same.
Different governance models but there are urban areas all over the world that are entities unto themselves; Greater London and New York City come to mind. Admitted, I don't know how their governance is carved up.

They appear to be proposing to take Caledon single-tier; that would really peculiar, and make for some mind blowing tax hikes.

It would interesting to see how the balance sheet shakes out. Caledon taxpayers send money to the region and get certain regional services in return (some roads, planning, etc.). They already pay for a lot of their own services like police and fire and, in many ways, wouldn't be all that different from other single-tiers.

It might be interesting to see if this piques any interest in other municipalities that are the result of a shotgun wedding, mostly under Harris. I know there was much angst in Kawartha Lakes and Chatham-Kent at the time, largely because of the rural-urban imbalance. On the other hand, perhaps they have made peace with it.

The Town of Caledon needs to be joined in matrimony with the Region of York.

643px-Greater_toronto_area_map.svg.png
From link.
I'm not so sure it does. Most of the regions and single-tier municipalities followed existing county lines (Durham had some substantive boundary changes with two adjoining counties) but that was likely just as much a matter of simplicity than anything else. I'm not convinced they have to be a 'member' of anything. If Caledon merged with York, it couldn't be a stand-alone (single tier) municipality. As a lower tier municipality, perhaps, but it could also lean to Dufferin or even Wellington counties. With the proximity of Orangeville to Caledon's northern border, there are a number of synergies. I'm not sure they've ever been completely enthused with regional government.

Carving Caledon up would likely have significant tax implications because the tax base is not geographically balanced.

There is a proposal for a Bolton GO train. A lot of the Town of Caledon is within the Greenbelt. Highway 413 would also run through the Town of Caledon.

GTA_West_corridor_14_RevisedRoute_August2020-resize-2.jpg

From link. Maybe Doug wants to remove input from the Region of Peel in those matters, leaving the City of Brampton & Mississauga having no voice in the matters.

I just saw a local news item that indicated that this is just a step and that the 'local governance review' is still ongoing. Apparently Simcoe County was originally on the hit list, then not, and is now back on.

Kinda glad I'm moving.

Wouldn't be surprised if Doug chose to abolish all remaining county and regional governance, whether on behalf of amalgamations or on behalf of going-it-alones.

I do find it a bit strange that they would have Caledon be single-tier, rather than have it join Dufferin County, for example. York is another possibility, I suppose.

I wonder if there's any chance that the legislation won't pass? It'll be interesting to see what happens from now until January 1, 2025.

The official press release about the dissolution of Peel Region is here:

The bits that we get out of it aren't substantial at this juncture.

This is most of what we got:

View attachment 478340

So what developer owns lots of land in Caledon that in some way stands to profit from this move?

Back