News   May 08, 2024
 21     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 546     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 475     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

This should be interesting:

Both Brampton and Mississauga have been in an unhappy marriage for a number of years, with Caledon seemingly just an illegitimate child.

If this goes through, the transition is going to be interesting; it's pretty hard to unscramble an omelette that was first poured in the pan almost 50 years ago.

Both Brampton and Mississauga have been in an unhappy marriage for a number of years, with Caledon seemingly just an illegitimate child.

If this goes through, the transition is going to be interesting; it's pretty hard to unscramble an omelette that was first poured in the pan almost 50 years ago.

Same can be said of various amalgamated municipalities in Ontario - and I don't see DoFo in a particular rush unscramble the megacity for example. What is clear is that the current government only has expediencies, not principles.

AoD

what do you think the 100+ candidates for mayor will say about this, maybe it is time for someone to grow a pair and make Toronto independent from the province. If that happened dougie would no longer be eligible to be an MP, even junior would be scrambling around looking for a safe seat. Why can't toronto be a city state? TorontoCanada - whythehellnot?

Same can be said of various amalgamated municipalities in Ontario - and I don't see DoFo in a particular rush unscramble the megacity for example. What is clear is that the current government only has expediencies, not principles.

AoD

Of course it’s Mississauga pushing it. They’re about to get surpassed by Brampton in population after dominating Peel for decades. With a better tax base though (more expensive residential properties and more commercial development), they don’t want to have to share.

Even though she’s six feet underground in a box, the previous mayor has influence.

what do you think the 100+ candidates for mayor will say about this, maybe it is time for someone to grow a pair and make Toronto independent from the province. If that happened dougie would no longer be eligible to be an MP, even junior would be scrambling around looking for a safe seat. Why can't toronto be a city state? TorontoCanada - whythehellnot?
That would require a Constitutional amendment and I'm not sure anyone with any political capital is willing to spend it on this. I see some - or at least one - are arguing that the DVP and Gardiner should be uploaded to Province, so clearly various views.

As a Caledon resident, I'm not sure what the fallout will be from this. Caledon definitely can not be independent, without massive financial subsidies from the province it will become unaffordable to live here as the taxes will go up significantly.

The obvious alternative is a merge with a next door neighbor, Duffern or Halton most likely.

Just a hypothetical option is Caledon is axed and carved up with portions merging with other regions.

Not sure what's gonna happen. 🤔

That would require a Constitutional amendment and I'm not sure anyone with any political capital is willing to spend it on this. I see some - or at least one - are arguing that the DVP and Gardiner should be uploaded to Province, so clearly various views.

Why would the province want to take on the ownership (and the cost) when they can just more or less dictate to the city what they need to do (and cannot do - like tolling) with it? Municipal ownership is borderline meaningless other than being a financial albatross.

We are still running this country - with institutions and structural barriers - like it is 90% rural.

AoD

Lovely precedent! Can we now de-amalgamate the 416 so that the old city of Toronto is no longer held hostage by the other 5 (suburban) boroughs?

Reactions: T3G
Lovely precedent! Can we now de-amalgamate the 416 so that the old city of Toronto is no longer held hostage by the other 5 (suburban) boroughs?

I would love to see Toronto broken up personally.

Metro was not a bad thing and honestly Toronto is too large to manage itself effectively. Having 5 cities and 1 Borough once again would really help focus on local issues and potentially eliminate alot of issues we currently face.

The only problem I can foresee would be with things like the TDSB, Toronto Hydro, etc. Keep in mind that Scarborough had the Scarborough Board of Education and Scarborough Public Utilities. The other parts of Toronto had the same.

I think this is a great idea but I can't see it gaining much traction. There doesn't seem to be much appetite for decentralization these days; I've even seen some people suggest that the entirety of the Horseshoe should be one single town under one mayor!!!

I think this is a great idea but I can't see it gaining much traction. There doesn't seem to be much appetite for decentralization these days; I've even seen some people suggest that the entirety of the Horseshoe should be one single town under one mayor!!!

In the long run the GGH region having a "chair" might not be a bad idea (and probably inevitable at some point). Anyways, I can't wait to see how DoFo justify Mississauga and Brampton now having to create separate bureaucracies for services that were previously delivered under Peel Region.

AoD

I'd be in favour of this actually, albeit modified. Regional governments in the current context are basically useless. They're too large to deal with local issues, but too small to deal with truly regional issues (the GTHA region extends far beyond the borders of any one "region"). If we're going to have regional governments, at least make it one government that actually covers the entire region.

Upload the responsibilities of each of the regional governments into a single regional government, and then de-amalgamate the City of Toronto within this context. In essence, re-create Metro Toronto, but expand its mandate to include the entire GTA (purposely minus Hamilton). I'd go even further and de-amalgamate cities like Mississauga under this context. Under this type of configuration, we would have smaller lower-tier municipalities that would be able to effectively respond to local desires, and an overarching Metro government that can effectively tackle regional planning and infrastructure.

what do you think the 100+ candidates for mayor will say about this, maybe it is time for someone to grow a pair and make Toronto independent from the province
If they are smart they won't talk about it at all. Keesmeet looked like a real fool when she proposed it, only to find out that the provinces and feds would need to be on board.

Back