News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 913     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Go to https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-information-and-protection/bill-calculator to determine which rate is best for you.

Get your utility bill, or several months of bills. To use the calculator most effectively, you’ll want to know how much electricity you use and when you use it. You can find this information on the Electricity line of your bills, your utility may provide your data when you access your account online, or contact your utility for more detailed information about your electricity use.

Doug Ford says it’s ‘a great idea’ to move the Science Centre to Ontario Place

Moves are afoot to bring the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place, says Premier Doug Ford.​

From link.Moves are afoot to bring the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place, says Premier Doug Ford.
The premier, who has been under fire over the planned private Therme spa for the waterfront park, insisted the looming Ontario Place redevelopment would “be a world-class destination.”

“You know, it doesn’t come without bumps and hurdles. Therme (spa) and then Live Nation is going to just have a spectacular outdoor venue,” Ford told reporters Thursday in Kitchener.

“But when it comes to the Science Centre, that came on the table probably a year ago and I personally think it’s a great idea,” he said.

Ford said he could not divulge any details that will be shared within days by Infrastructure Minister Kinga Surma.

“If I told you now, my minister of infrastructure would shoot me on the spot. So can you stay tuned till next week, but I think it’s a fabulous idea — and there’s a tremendous opportunity,” the premier said.

Surma said last Thursday that “since 2019, our government has been working with the Ontario Science Centre to explore including science-related tourism and educational programming as part of our vision to bring Ontario Place back to life.”

Asked if the current Don Mills site of the Science Centre could be repurposed for housing, Ford left the door wide open.

“If we decide to move it, yeah, I think there’s an opportunity right there at Don Mills and Eglinton,” he said.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think there’s about 90 acres — and I don’t know if it’s all buildable — but even if it’s half of that that’d be great opportunities as well (for) highrises, density around that whole area,” the premier said.

“That’s where the Ontario Line (subway) is going to go to as well, so I think there’s a tremendous opportunity to create something — attainable homes and affordable and non-profit homes in that region if we decide to go down that road,” said Ford.

“But it really needs to be revamped.”

The future of Ontario Place has emerged as a major issue in the June 26 Toronto mayoral byelection campaign.

Therme, an Austrian company, is planning a 65,000-square metre private entertainment, water recreation and wellness centre on Ontario Place’s West Island.

As part of the plan, Queen’s Park would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a five-level, 2,100-spot underground parking garage to service the spa and a rebuilt Budweiser Stage concert venue operated by Live Nation.

Mayoral candidate Ana Bailão, a former deputy mayor to John Tory, has been urging Ford to move the Science Centre to Ontario Place, freeing up much of the city-owned Don Mills land to build 5,000 homes, 1,500 of them affordable.

Bailão said that would enable Ontario Place to be a family-friendly showcase for science and innovation.

“I am pleased to hear that Premier Ford and I agree on this proposal — and that the province has been working on this for some time. I look forward to seeing the full details of their announcement next week,” she said.

But Bailão emphasized the existing “beloved heritage building” that houses the Science Centre should be turned into a community hub for Flemingdon and Thorncliffe residents with the new housing built on the massive parking lot.

Rival Josh Matlow, a city councillor, says the city should “move forward with a revitalized public park that is fully integrated with a reimagined Exhibition Place” with no spa at Ontario Place.

Mark Saunders, the former police chief and Ford’s former $700-a-day adviser on Ontario Place, says the site is a “crown jewel … which means the tourism opportunity, associated job creation and economic development must also be a strong factor in decision making.”

But NDP MPP Kristyn Wong-Tam (Toronto Centre), whose riding includes Ontario Place, said Ford’s scheme is “another distraction” to deflect attention from other problems besetting the government.

“Who asked for this proposal? There’s been no meaningful consultation,” said Wong-Tam, adding the plan reminded her of when the premier was a city councillor who wanted “a mega mall and a Ferris wheel” as part of the waterfront.

“People deserve better.”

It's a BAD idea.
dislike-thumbs-down.gif
From link.

Doug Ford says it’s ‘a great idea’ to move the Science Centre to Ontario Place

Moves are afoot to bring the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place, says Premier Doug Ford.​

From link.Moves are afoot to bring the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place, says Premier Doug Ford.

It's a BAD idea.
dislike-thumbs-down.gif
From link.
Worst idea from Doug Ford, or his cronies, this month.

Renovate the Science Centre.

Use the wasteful parking lots for mixed-use development that includes affordable housing. No need for the parking lots with Line 5 & the Ontario Line coming along.

Worst idea from Doug Ford, or his cronies, this month.

Renovate the Science Centre.

Use the wasteful parking lots for mixed-use development that includes affordable housing. No need for the parking lots with Line 5 & the Ontario Line coming along.
Wondering which one of his builder friends gets the go ahead building these homes on the Ontario science centre site. The whole plan is idiotic, however Don mills rd is a nightmare during school holidays with cars lined up to get into the parking lot. Hopefully the LRT will solve that problem. Having said that, I always hoped the Ont. science centre would get updated and the valley land around it would be included for education. Yes, renovate the science centre, and leave Ontario place to the people of only, not a world class Spa and multi billion dollar parking garage. Just wondering if Ford will resurrect his Ferris wheel again.

A
So moving the zoo back to Riverdale is a good move? 😄

See this link for a history of the original Riverdale Zoo.

:eek:

Of course no one would want the old Riverdale Zoo back for a host of reasons; but equally, its true that the choice of moving the Zoo off to an extreme corner of the City with relatively poor transit access has in fact impaired attendance.

There isn't really anywhere better to locate it now; but there was then.

Last edited:
The Ford gov't out with what it thinks is a good news announcement and I think is a bad one in so many ways.

So this is extending day-use reservations to additional Provincial Parks.

Here's why that is not a good thing.

1) This is about rationing provincial parks because we don't have enough to go around. With next to no consequential new provincial parks within easy driving distance of the GTA in the last 30 years, we don't have enough hiking trails, beaches (or campgrounds) to meet demand.

2) In deferring the choice to create/expand additional parks, we've watched the land values skyrocket, so should we get around to it now or in 10 years, the cost will be vastly greater, adjusted for inflation than it would have been.,

3) The day-use reservation system means capping the number of park entrants and it also cost $$ to set-up. Dollars that put to use 40 years ago might have funded an entire new park.

4) Changes to campground reservations limit people enjoying extended staycations, which is only fair, if we need to ration, but didn't used to have that need.

This is a solution to a problem we never ought to have had; its a band-aid one which signals unmet demand, and its one that still cost precious dollars to deliver. FAIL!

It's not just in the GTA either. The pace of creating new parks has really dropped off over the past generation and little new provincial parks area as been added as a whole across Ontario.

parks.png

Be careful what you wish for. From May, 2010...

The new Douglas Ford Park was opened recently - the result of a petition from the public with thousands of names on it. The rechristened Douglas Ford Park is in honour of the late entrepreneur and MPP whose son Rob Ford is running for mayor. The Etobicoke York Community Council decided last year to rename the park, now known as Weston Wood Park, on Royal York Road. It backs onto the house where Doug Ford raised his family. Councillor Rob Ford , because he is a mayoral candidate, declared a conflict of interest in the matter and did not vote on the decision. Doug Ford Sr., founder of Deco Labels and Tags, served as a Progressive Conservative MPP for Etobicoke Humber from 1995 to 1999. He was known in Etobicoke for his various community contributions as a Rotarian, a board member at Etobicoke General Hospital and a prolific volunteer. As a youth, Mr. Ford was a championship swimmer and in 1954, at the age of 16, attempted the CNE marathon swim across Lake Ontario, alongside Marilyn Bell, who completed the distance. Mr. Ford died in 2006 at the age of 73. Douglas Ford is remembered for his open door policy, dedication to public service, and also for donating his governent salary to charity. Officiating at the event is Kevin Bowser of Parks, Forestry & Recreation. Councillor for Ward 11 -- Frances Nunziata talked about her admiration and respect for Douglas Ford, and why this Park is a fitting tribute.

It's not just in the GTA either. The pace of creating new parks has really dropped off over the past generation and little new provincial parks area as been added as a whole across Ontario.

View attachment 469303

There are three in the pipeline in Southern Ontario that I'm aware of, 2 decent-sized.

The small one will be day-use only (its 500 acres) at the headwaters of the Humber, it was announced in 2022, but plans since have been fairly hushed.

This year the gov't quietly announced a 'major' new provincial park that will feature camping in central Ontario, but they've been very non-specific about where; meanwhile White Duck Provincial Park is on its way in the Kawarthas, it will be ~30,000acres and feature camping; but its apparently being held up by an interminably long finalization of the settlement w/the Algonquins of Ontario.

I would argue strongly for the following:

A dramatically expanded Bronte Provincial Park
A dramatically expanded Shorthills Provincial Park
A dramatically expanded Darlington Provincial Park
A long called for new park to link Sandbanks Provincial Park to Pres'quille and otherwise expanding Sandbanks.
A large expansion of Forks of the Credit Provincial Park
New/Expanded Parks on the escarpment to link Boyne Valley Provincial Park to Mono Cliffs and add camping
A significant enlargement of Bruce Peninsula National Park to the south and inclusion of a second campground
At minimum, a quadrupling in size of Pt. Pelee Provincial Park to protect/restore additional coastline and add camping
Doubling the size of Awenda Provincial Park
Enlarging Wasaga Beach Provincial Park, including additional beach and group picnic space
A major new provincial Park fronting Lake Simcoe with camping.
A major new provincial Park at Baccus Woods with camping.
Enlarge the Luther Wildlife Hunting area by a factor of 5 (headwaters of the grand river), make it a provincial park.

That would be a decent start.

Back