News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Reducing "red tape". Does that include reducing building code inspections?

(Maybe they should have used screws instead of nails?)
As I mentioned in another thread, he might be right (either none or not enough) but he's making an allegation based on a single image. Building codes are minimal standards.

Residential building inspections are a responsibility of the municipality.

Screws are not approved for structural construction because they have lower shear strength unless they are approved as 'structural'. For example, you can frame in your basement with standard screws because the walls are not load bearing, but you can't use screws to fasten joist hangers on your new deck.

Take that back about screws versus nails. Key word "structural". Let the battle begin...

No argument from me. Structural screws used to be the purview of specialty supply houses but are now fairly widely available at box stores and building centres.

A lot more people are DIYing it these days and too many people see 'screws' and figure they are good to go. They are temptingly easy with widely available cordless impact drivers, as opposed to hand-pounding nails (a skill, particularly in repetition) or nail guns that either require a compressor or the more costly gas-discharge type.

From link.

Ontario stopped enforcing credentials in skilled trades, right after Doug Ford took power

For three years running, Ontario has not enforced its rules requiring tradespeople — such as electricians, auto mechanics and plumbers — to be certified, CBC News has learned.

Enforcement of Ontario's compulsory certification of licensed trades ground to a halt right after Premier Doug Ford's government took office.

It means that since the middle of 2018, there has been no provincial oversight of whether the people working in Ontario's licensed trades actually have the credentials to do the work.

"It's like having an environmental act with no enforcement," said Patrick Dillon, business manager of the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council, a grouping of labour unions.

"You can't have a trades qualification act and compulsory licensed trades and not have enforcement," said Dillon in an interview.

The lack of enforcement affects not just tradespeople, but also potentially anyone who hires an electrician, a plumber or a mechanic.

"You as a consumer pay a premium dollar to have your car serviced," said Lou Trottier, owner of All About Imports, an auto service garage in Mississauga, Ont. "If you find out it was done by an unqualified, unlicensed person, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, doesn't it?"

The mandate to enforce the province's skilled trades certification rules lies with the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT), an agency created in 2009.

Ford made a campaign promise to scrap the college, describing it as burdensome red tape for businesses. His government passed legislation in the fall of 2018 to begin winding it down.

However, OCOT still exists and was supposed to continue carrying out its core duties, including enforcing credentials in the trades where licensing is compulsory.
Ontario requires certification in 23 licensed trades, including electricians, plumbers, crane operators, refrigeration technicians, hairstylists and a whole range of automotive work, such as brakes, transmission and auto body repair.

It's illegal to practice any of those trades in Ontario without the proper certification. It's also illegal for an employer to hire someone who isn't authorized to perform the work of those trades.

"One of the main responsibilities of the college is to ensure that individuals performing the skills of compulsory trades have the training and certification required to legally practise this trade in Ontario," says a current statement on the OCOT website.
There is little evidence the agency has carried out that responsibility over the past three years.

College inspectors found more than 4,200 people working without proper authorization in the licensed trades in each of 2015 and 2016, the last full years for which figures are available.

Yet since June 28, 2018, the day before the Ford government was sworn in, there is not a single notice of contravention posted on OCOT's website. There are also zero Provincial Offences Act convictions posted since July 2018.
Before the Ford government was elected, college enforcement officers made thousands of visits annually to construction sites, automotive garages and body shops to validate the credentials of skilled tradespeople.

Government officials admit enforcement stopped, even though the law remained in place.

"Since we formed government, OCOT inspectors have taken an educational role," said Ryan Whealy, acting press secretary for Monte McNaughton, the minister of labour, training and skills development, in a statement.

"We heard loud and clear from workers and management that OCOT, including its enforcement, was deeply politicized and ineffective," said Whealy.

The lack of enforcement over the past three years is a source of frustration for tradespeople who continue to pay their mandatory annual fees to remain licensed in Ontario. The $120 fee was reduced to $60 in 2019.

Dillon characterizes it as a sort of legalized theft. "When you're paying for something and you're not getting it, that is just a breach of the contract," he said.

He acknowledges there may have previously been problems with enforcement, but argues that those problems "should have been fixed rather than blowing up the college."

Trottier said the lack of enforcement irritates him. "I play by the rules. I'm a stickler for rules. And I would love everybody to be forced to play by the rules as well," he said.

The Ford government recently announced the Ontario College of Trades will be replaced effective Jan. 1, 2022 with a new Crown agency called Skilled Trades Ontario.

The legislation for the new agency shows that certification will remain mandatory in the designated trades, and McNaughton promises it will be enforced.
"As we move forward this summer, we'll ensure that the compliance and enforcement regulations are worked through," McNaughton told CBC News on Tuesday.

"I can assure everyone out there working in the trades that we'll ensure that enforcement is present on job sites."

A panel commissioned by the Ontario government is recommending the new agency focus on training and certification in the trades, and the responsibility for enforcement go to the Ministry of Labour's occupational health and safety inspectorate.

Trottier questions whether the college's enforcement of compulsory certification in the auto service sector was ever effective. "I think if you ask the average technician what the Ontario College of Trades actually does for them, they'll shake their heads and go, 'I have no idea.'"

Despite his sense that the lack of enforcement in the past three years was unfair, Trottier doesn't believe it harmed his business.

"All around me, there are businesses that use unqualified staff," Trottier said. "I would love if the Ontario College of Trades would go in there and correct that. But at the end of the day, it doesn't necessarily impact me that much, because I only use staff who meet what my customers expect."

But, the province actually spent $10.3 billion less than planned, including $1 billion less in health and a $3.4-billion end-of-year balance in a contingency fund. That money will go toward reducing Ontario's net debt - projected to be about $400 billion.
How do you end up spending $1b *less* on healthcare during the biggest medical emergency in a generation?

How do you end up spending $1b *less* on healthcare during the biggest medical emergency in a generation?

Looking at the actual report by the FAO.........:

* note the report is on the last fiscal year ending March 31, 2021, and specifically the fourth quarter.

These first couple of blurbs are Q4 only:

1626903039313.png

1626903311268.png

Below is full year:

1626903171812.png

So, overall, they spent 8.4B more in this last fiscal year than they had originally budgeted.

So the headline is a tad misleading.

The lower than budgeted physician services payment will be the result of closed family doctors offices; as well as cancelled surgeries and consultations.

Final word from the FAO report (on health spending)

1626903614236.png

Of note though is how much under the Province is in terms of the estimated deficit; a function both of greater revenue and less expenditure than budgeted:

1626903726939.png

The whole report can be found here: https://fao-on.org/en/Blog/Publications/2020-21-expenditure-monitor-q4

Last edited:
Remember back in 2019, when ...

Doug Ford 'proud' of tearing up hundreds of green energy contracts

See link.

Renewable energy costs are in freefall. What that could mean for Canada

Six in 10 new wind and solar projects were cheaper to install than the least costly fossil fuel alternative in 2020 — continuing a trend that shows no signs of reversing.

From link.

The writing’s been on the wall for coal for awhile, and in 2020, it just couldn’t compete with renewable energy when it came to new installations.

That’s according to a new report by the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), which found that 62 per cent of renewable energy capacity that came online last year cost less to install than the cheapest fossil fuel option. In real terms, that’s a total of 162 GW that was cheaper to install than coal, around double what it was in 2019.

The costs of individual types of renewables fell as well. IRENA reports concentrating solar power fell 16 per cent, onshore and offshore wind by 13 and 9 per cent respectively, and solar photovoltaic cells (PV) by 7 per cent. Operating costs continue to undercut coal as well, and IRENA expects 2020’s renewables installations will save US$156 billion (C$195 billion) in emerging economies over the course of their lifespan.

That drastic fall in both installation and operating costs bodes well for the fight against climate change, IRENA’s director-general, Francesco La Camera, said in a release from the group.
Renewables present countries tied to coal with an economically attractive phase-out agenda that ensures they meet growing energy demand, while saving costs, adding jobs, boosting growth, and meeting climate ambition,” he said. “I am encouraged that more and more countries opt to power their economies with renewables and follow IRENA’s pathway to reach net zero emissions by 2050.”

2020’s renewable costs continue the downward trend that’s been the norm for the past decade. Since 2010, solar PV costs have fallen an astounding 85 per cent, onshore wind by 56 per cent, and offshore wind by 48 per cent. IRENA says solar and onshore wind auction prices can be as low as 3 cents per KWh in some cases, even without financial support from governments — bargain prices against which coal just can’t compete.

CANADA: ‘MORE POTENTIAL THAN WE COULD EVER HOPE TO USE’

Canada already boasts one of the world’s cleanest energy grids, at least in terms of generation, with three quarters of it made up of nuclear and hydro. Non-hydro renewables such as wind and solar make up only around 7 per cent, with the rest a mix of fossil fuels, including coal.

That small share notwithstanding, new wind and solar installation costs have plummeted in Canada just as they have in emerging markets.

Robert Hornung, president and CEO of the Canadian Renewable Energy Association, told The Weather Network that he sees new wind contracts in Alberta and Saskatchewan signed for prices below $40 per MWh, and $48 per MWh for new solar contracts in Alberta — and says prices will keep on declining through the remainder of the decade.

Hornung says electrification is accelerating as governments move toward net-zero, pointing to studies suggesting wind and solar could make up as much as 95 per cent of all new installations across North America by mid-century.

“Canada has massive untapped wind and solar energy resources in every part of the country — more potential than we could ever hope to use,” he says. “This will be critical as we move toward net-zero greenhouse gas emissions in 2050.”

'PERFECT OPPORTUNITY': THE RIGHT SPOT FOR LARGEST SOLAR POWER OPERATION IN CANADA

A large part of wind and solar competitiveness, Hornung says, is their flexibility and drastically lower capital costs when compared to zero-emission heavies such as hydro and nuclear. It’s also not uncommon for new nuclear and hydro to have lead times in excess of a decade.

“Wind and solar can be deployed quickly and at whatever scale makes sense,” he says. “The economics remain favourable at multiple scales. They are decentralized and can be sited where it makes best sense to do so.”

Those advantages relative to fossil fuels have prompted provincial governments to take renewables seriously: so far, Saskatchewan, Quebec, and Nova Scotia have signed agreements for new wind and solar, or plan on releasing tenders for them.

The corporate world is also taking notice: Hornung says Alberta has seen a surge of big corporate names such as TD, Amazon, and Budweiser, signing agreements to purchase power from those sources.

As fast as wind and solar have been rising, Hornung adds there are additional things governments can do to boost them further. Chief among them are hard decarbonization targets, strategies for electrification and the use of green hydrogen, continued carbon pricing, and market reforms that allow consumers greater choice over their energy supply.

Sooo...

Minister Clark............he of MZO fame; and also Del Duca-like pressers where he was last seen announcing a 'sign' for a river..............

Is at it again today............he announced the expansion of the Greenbelt in Durham Region.............oh....wait.....you thought he was protecting heretofore unprotected land???

You would be mistaken! They're adding Darlington Provincial Park to the Greenbelt (which carries a lower level of statutory protection than is the case now) but that would seem moot
as I don't believe there was any threat of Darlington being developed, LOL.

The associated presser about nothing, can be found here: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/...darlington-provincial-park-into-the-greenbelt

How Seinfeldian.............

In weird Ontario news.........

The Ontario gov't put out a news release announcing it has fined itself $50,000 over sewage odours in Wasaga Beach.

I, for one, feel truly gratified that the government took this enforcement action against itself, and will pay itself $50,000.

I feel confident that will teach them!

:rolleyes:

In weird Ontario news.........

The Ontario gov't put out a news release announcing it has fined itself $50,000 over sewage odours in Wasaga Beach.

I, for one, feel truly gratified that the government took this enforcement action against itself, and will pay itself $50,000.

I feel confident that will teach them!

:rolleyes:
The Ontario Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Park, David Winsor Piccini, should be the one "billed" for it directly. If not him, then "bill" Premier Doug Ford (he's "rich", so should be able to afford to pay it).

Sooo...

Minister Clark............he of MZO fame; and also Del Duca-like pressers where he was last seen announcing a 'sign' for a river..............

Is at it again today............he announced the expansion of the Greenbelt in Durham Region.............oh....wait.....you thought he was protecting heretofore unprotected land???

You would be mistaken! They're adding Darlington Provincial Park to the Greenbelt (which carries a lower level of statutory protection than is the case now) but that would seem moot
as I don't believe there was any threat of Darlington being developed, LOL.

The associated presser about nothing, can be found here: https://news.ontario.ca/en/release/...darlington-provincial-park-into-the-greenbelt

How Seinfeldian.............
I had to read the release a couple of times just to figure out it was in fact an announcement about nothing....you can't make this crap up !

Back