News   Jun 28, 2024
 4K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 662     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ford government rejects Toronto's own plans for Yonge and Eglinton downtown, demands more density.

The Ford government has thrown out the City of Toronto’s amendments to its official plan for the areas of Yonge and Eglinton and the downtown core, with the municipal affairs minister saying the plan needs to allow for denser housing near transit hubs.

In July 2018, the City of Toronto made amendments to its official plan for the downtown core and the Yonge and Eglinton area.

Toronto Mayor John Tory has said he was told of the rejection by the province via text message last night.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ford-government-changes-toronto-s-plan-for-yonge-and-eg-downtown-1.4452712

This makes no particular sense to me.

These stations, the downtown 'U' and Eglinton do not lack for density over and around them.

Building heights are as high as 80 plus stories, and there is little challenge getting anything 40+ approved.

How much more density was one hoping for?

If you want more density in Toronto, particularly around transit stations, the places to revisit are along the Spadina line, and Line 2 from Broadview and east, or Bathurst and west, even Sheppard has good density approvals.

There is a need for more density at some key locations, say, Kennedy Station...but there are next to no applications there at this time.

Still, if they upzoned the TTC parking and surrounding plazas for 30s I'd be perfectly fine w/that.

This, though, makes no sense.

Yikes. My grandfather died in France for the "right" to cheap beer?

D8URGiQV4AAVm-C.jpg

Last edited:
Ford Fest is back June 22... but without beer.

Many have already pointed out that it’s ironic that there will be no beer at the annual Ford family BBQ since it's been so central to Ford's government mandate and after his party's MPPs posted synchronized tweets complaining that they can't buy beer at convenience stores this past weekend.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/06/ford-fest-toronto-2019/

A thought came to me: I wouldn't be surprised if this Ford Fest winds up being cancelled due to unspecified "threats"--and of course, Ford Nation will try to spin the cancellation in such a way that implicates the opposition...

Gov't moving to add 300 additional stores selling Beer, Wine and Cider:

- 60 this August

- 150 total by Dec. 2019

-Remainder by summer 2020.

- 87 new supermarkets (20% to each region, so about 22 new locations in the GTA

-The balance is 200 additional 'agency' stores in rural Ontario.

Rural locations being rebranded as LCBO Convenience Outlets.

- Existing Grocers selling under restricted licenses (Canadian product only) will see those restrictions lifted in October of this year.

News Release:

Backgrounder:

Ontario created over 75% of the 28,000 jobs that were reported today.
Since Ford won the election, that's over 200k jobs. At times, Ontario still is the economic engine of Canada - creating jobs at a much faster rate than their ~60% population compared to the rest-of-Canada.

(edit - fixed Table reference).

Attachments

• Ont job.jpg
    Ont job.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Ontario created over 75% of the 28,000 jobs that were reported today.
Since Ford won the election, that's over 200k jobs. At times, Ontario still is the economic engine of Canada - creating jobs at a much faster rate than their ~60% population compared to the rest-of-canada.

View attachment 189552

Where did you source this chart? Link Please.

Also, the data is not as described.

This is a bar graph, utilizing percentages, not a ratio.

Back