News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-regional-government-review-1.4978949

The last time a PC government forced an amalgamation, they were booted from power...

I think there is a compelling case for some changes in 'who does what', as well as some amalgamation.

The issue last time, was that much of it was sold on saving money, which it didn't and it won't.

The better argument is one of upward harmonizing service levels, certain efficiencies (which are generally offset by higher service levels and wages).

There's also a need to be thoughtful, Sudbury is way too large, so it Ottawa.

Toronto's amalgamation was too much all at once. A more reasonable plan would have to be to fold East York and York into the old City of Toronto, and upload fire to Metro where all the other emergency services were already.

Be that as it may.

I think this review sounds too wide-reaching.

I would be more inclined to take a close look at 3-4 regions and be thoughtful about the exercise.

A separate review should also happen to create regional government in the north.

As one example, Niagara region has 12 municipalities, transit is also technically local, though the region is attempting a complex version of regional transit.

I would be inclined to look at cutting 3-5 of those governments and formally shifting transit to the region.

Likewise transit should be regional in Halton.

But will Doug Ford listen to the "folks"?

Doug Ford government announces review of regional governments

From link.

From link:

Consultations to start in early 2019
The Ontario government is moving ahead with a review of regional government by appointing Michael Fenn and Ken Seiling as Special Advisors. The regional government model has been in place for almost 50 years in Ontario and we are taking steps to ensure that regional governments are working efficiently and effectively. These advisors will consult broadly over the coming months and provide recommendations to improve governance, decision-making and service delivery.​
The review will examine Ontario's eight regional municipalities (Halton, York, Durham, Waterloo, Niagara, Peel, Muskoka District, and Oxford County), the County of Simcoe, and their lower-tier municipalities.​
"Our government committed to improving the way regional government works and we will be looking at ways to make better use of taxpayers' dollars and make it easier for residents and businesses to access important municipal services," said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "Michael Fenn and Ken Seiling bring a wealth of experience that will help us examine if the way regions are governed is working for the people."​
The advisors will work with the province to explore:​

• Opportunities to make it easier for residents and businesses to access municipal services;
  • Processes to deliver efficient and effective local services that respects taxpayers' money;
  • Methods to make municipalities open for business; and,
  • Possibilities to cut red tape and duplication, and save costs.
Local residents and businesses will be consulted in spring 2019.​
Quick Facts

Municipalities covered under the review

The review covers Ontario’s 8 regional municipalities (Durham, Halton, Muskoka District, Niagara, Oxford County, Peel, Waterloo, York), Simcoe County, and their lower-tier municipalities.

In total, 82 upper and lower-tier municipalities are included in the review.

Durham Region
  • Ajax
  • Brock
  • Clarington
  • Oshawa
  • Pickering
  • Scugog
  • Uxbridge
  • Whitby
Halton Region
  • Burlington
  • Halton Hills
  • Milton
  • Oakville
Muskoka District
  • Bracebridge
  • Gravenhurst
  • Georgian Bay
  • Huntsville
  • Lake of Bays
  • Muskoka Lakes
Niagara Region
  • Fort Erie
  • Grimsby
  • Lincoln
  • Niagara Falls
  • Niagara-on-the-Lake
  • Pelham
  • Port Colborne
  • St. Catharines
  • Thorold
  • Wainfleet
  • Welland
  • West Lincoln
Oxford County
  • Blandford-Blenheim
  • East Zorra-Tavistock
  • Ingersoll
  • Norwich
  • South-West Oxford
  • Tilsonburg
  • Woodstock
  • Zorra
Peel Region
  • Brampton
  • Caledon
  • Mississauga
Waterloo Region
  • Cambridge
  • Kitchener
  • North Dumfries
  • Wilmot
  • Waterloo
  • Wellesley
  • Woolwich
York Region
  • Aurora
  • East Gwillimbury
  • Georgina
  • King
  • Markham
  • Newmarket
  • Richmond Hill
  • Vaughan
  • Whitchurch-Stouffville
Simcoe County
  • Adjala-Tosorontio
  • Bradford West Gwillimbury
  • Clearview
  • Collingwood
  • Essa
  • Innisfil
  • Midland
  • New Tecumseth
  • Oro-Medonte
  • Penetanguishene
  • Ramara
  • Severn
  • Springwater
  • Tay
  • Tiny
  • Wasaga Beach

I mentioned it in another thread but it deserves to be mentioned here. The regional review seems more like a long term political tactic for future elections that the Conservatives are adopting from Republicans; the word "gerrymandering" pops into my mind when I read that article. Don't know if others share the same views but this is what I'm getting shades of.

Last edited:
I mentioned it in another thread but it deserves to be mentioned there. The regional review seems more like a long term political tactic for future elections that the Conservatives are adopting from Republicans; the word "gerrymandering" pops into my mind when I read that article. Don't know if others share the same views but this is what I'm getting shades of.

That's one way to extend the subway up to Algonquin Park.

That's one way to extend the subway up to Algonquin Park.

Or to the Pickering Plant. Or to Durham. Or to North Bay. Or to Barrie. Or to Niagara Falls. Or to Maintobia. Or to SW Ontario. Or to Ottawa ( Trudeau's new ride! ), or to the USA ( Trump's wall will be non-exist if there is a subway that the "refugees" can take below ), or to outer space. Or, to your dreams !!!!

I mentioned it in another thread but it deserves to be mentioned here. The regional review seems more like a long term political tactic for future elections that the Conservatives are adopting from Republicans; the word "gerrymandering" pops into my mind when I read that article. Don't know if others share the same views but this is what I'm getting shades of.

Wonder if Doug will try to fit the "new" wards for each municipality using the Ontario ridings as a guide?

And something to reflect upon considering the above, remember the "Open for Business" mantra? (Guelph's mayor is right of centre, the council is split in terms of 'left/right' and yet: )
Guelph lets the province know it denounces proposed Bill 66
Guelph City Council joins others in expressing concerns about proposed legislation that one delegate called 'reckless and irresponsible'
about 11 hours ago by: Tony Saxon

Guelph has joined numerous other municipalities in denouncing the province’s proposed Bill 66.
There have been many concerns about Bill 66, Restoring Ontario’s Competitiveness, which the province says is aimed at attracting employers and accelerating development approvals.
The bill would allow elements of several pieces of provincial legislation, including the Planning Act and the Clean Water Act, to be bypassed by municipalities.
Many, including the City of Guelph, feel that would put municipal water supplies at risk.

Council voted unanimously Monday on seven staff recommendations letting the province know it opposes Bill 66.
“While City staff recognize the merits of an expedited review process for major employment uses, staff have significant concerns regarding the proposed process,” says a staff report.
“The concerns include the potential risks to health and the safety of municipal water supply and environment; the lack of prescribed consultation and notification requirements; the lack of detail on the nature of the criteria or conditions that can be imposed; the non-applicability of Provincial and Municipal Plans as they relate to planning matters; and the potential impact to existing economic development initiatives.”
The city will request a meeting with provincial staff to further discuss the bill.

The city is also calling on the province to engage in a formal consultation with municipalities and hold a public consultation in Guelph on potential changes to the act.
Delegates speaking at city council’s committee of the whole meeting Monday slammed the bill.
“It’s reckless and irresponsible,” said Wellington Water Watchers' Karen Rathwell.
Hugh Whiteley told council that their vote on Bill 66 was “one of the most consequential decision you’ll make in your four-year terms.”
He said the bill was interested in short-term financial gain while sacrificing long term environmental protection.
https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-n...ce-know-it-denounces-proposed-bill-66-1195721

Maybe Ford could force a government shutdown until they buil.......sorry, got pulled off-track...

How is this effectively true though? The Ontario ridings are done with a supposedly neutral body that bases its ridngs on federal ridings generally. And even if Ford wanted to gerrymander them he doesn't really need to change municipalities to do that.
First, he came for Toronto.

Next, he comes for Brampton.

In the future, he'll come for the rest.
The problem is with the concept of a Peel region amalgamation is the idea is not popular in Mississauga where the Conservatives hold the seats but they are all in play next election. Like they MAY be petty enough to remove Patrick Brown as mayor but like it is politically very risky. And even then he can run for mayor or the amalgamated city so what is the point?
It is a different scenario than the Toronto city council cut where most people do not care at all. Politcally risky for no gain. Suburban Toronto is 100% on board with the council cut which does nto affect their lives in any way and probably helped them because now council has less members and less pet projects will be approved.

Back