News   May 22, 2024
 850     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 666     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 471     0 

Pre-Con Condo (sell or wait till closing)

Rocky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bought a Pre-con Condo a couple years back with potential occupancy in 2013. have done 4 down payments on it already but due to unforseen financial situation we are seeking a way out from this.

Q. Is it smarter to sell (or assign) this pre-con condo prior to occupancy, or would it be smarter to hold off until closing and then sell once its move in ready.

With the uncertainty of the market i am wondering if waiting until closing will cause more $$$ loss due to the addition of closing cost to the gross cost of the condo.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

In this inflated market I would seriously suggest assigning it now and locking up the price. Depending on the area, I would highly doubt you'll get more than you will now in 3 years time and you very well might get less.

In this inflated market I would seriously suggest assigning it now and locking up the price. Depending on the area, I would highly doubt you'll get more than you will now in 3 years time and you very well might get less.

Simuls, Its one of the new condos being built near Fairview mall and the cost is around 387 per sq ft, I am very keen to know how much more could the market get worst in 3 years from now !?

As you know, the profit in 3 years is not guaranteed. Also the closing date might be delayed, so you might not even be able to sell (post-closing) as planned. If you assign now, you will pocket the profit today....presumably when you need the money for other uses.

I know it hurts a bit when you sell too early (aided by hindsight). But I guess you are not in too much of a bind if you are still considering holding on to the unit until closing. How badly do you need to get out of this, could you handle bad/worst case scenarios - what is your level of risk tolerance or aversion?

I personally feel the amount of additional profit in three years, if any, is likely not enough when weighted against the risks and your financial situation (which I know I'm making assumptions about). However, I've been wrong about things like this in the past...and I know hindsight over "missed opportunities" can be painful. I'm also not very familiar with the Fairview area/condo projects.

It might be more helpful if more details about the unit were provided. Maybe your unit is different from the market in general. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
If it is near the subway, it should be O.K., although you cannot expect the huge increases of the past few years. It seems like you got it at a good price, so maybe, just maybe, it will turn out to be an 'O.K.' investment/purchase.

Back