News   Jul 19, 2024
 800     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.6K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Potential for Hydro Corridor Transitways?

It would a make a great network if combined with frequent rail service...kinda like the originally envisioned GO ALRT system. I think there actually might be some merit to building an LRT network using these corridors, rather than Transit City. Cheaper and faster.

Or at least an absolutely amazing cross-town route. From Oakville to Whitby? Do this and you might be able to toll the 401!

In my opinion the Go ALRT (Mark I trains/SRT) would have been a great thing, better than the SRT, and the GO ALRT would have precluded the need for the Sheppard subway at the time. Mark II trains would still be great if put on such a network.

We ought to build something of this calibre throughout the Finch Hydro corridor:

[video=youtube;vPhhbF0Ms7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPhhbF0Ms7g&feature=related[/video]

From Wiki: "Buses travel at a maximum speed of 100 km/h (62 mph), and the busway is capable of carrying 18,000 passengers an hour, from the Central Business District to Tea Tree Plaza in 15 minutes"

To me, this is superior to any notion of light-rail down Finch Avenue where buses can more than suffice if/when the bulk of commuters would rely on the BRT service as an alternative to 50+ stops en route to Yonge Street. Even crossings like the Lord Seton Reservior are a piece of cake if you think about it; just run the Busway elevated between Dufferin and Bathurst along the southside of Finch allowing for two stations at Wilmington and Torresdale (thus directly serving the only major trip-generators along Finch proper that the FHC kind of misses). Like was said above: Humber Regional Hosp, York Gate Mall, Jane-Finch high-rises, Tobesmory high-rises, York U residences, Finch West Stn, potential Barrie GO connection, Finch Stn (underground beneath Finch GO bus terminal), Bayview Mall, Old Cummer GO, Don Mills high-rises, Seneca College and Bridletowne Mall via a north-south hydro corridor east of Pharmacy all align themselves pretty well with the Cherrywood corridor. East of Warden it could run on-street along Finch proper with dedicated lanes.

I've been to Adelaide, and most of the locals regard the BRT as a white elephant. It does indeed serve it's purpose well, but elevated busways are so expensive they make LRT look like a bargain.

I've been to Adelaide, and most of the locals regard the BRT as a white elephant. It does indeed serve it's purpose well, but elevated busways are so expensive they make LRT look like a bargain.

Indeed. Once you start putting down track you might as well get the advantages that longer vehicles provide.

The O-Bahn busway also utilized proprietary buses from Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz refused to build new buses for the O-Bahn, and Adelaide was forced to pay a premium for new buses from Scania.

Not that I have any idea why one would be averse to tolling long-distance traffic - there doesn't seem to be any objection to this at most border crossings with the USA.

repercussions to business and trade. consequences far-reaching beyond that of merely "Toronto"

anyways, the 401 is "owned" by the Province of Ontario and hopefully they won't do anything silly like that ;)

The entire hydro corridor need not be paved over to make this a viable option for a few key locations. There are many destinations where the service of a dedicated busway may be an option for moving large numbers of commuters (or shoppers/students...) over fairly short distances such as the York University section.
The fact that the land is owned be the Hydro Corporation should not be an obstacle when the public good is being served. Compromises can be reached.

Another thing that could be added to some of the corridors is bike lanes. The same could be said for the rail corridors. A narrow, single purpose bike path could be built very reasonably and could provide connections to mass transit locations such as go and TTC stations.

The cost is only that low when you put traffic lights at intersections. The moment you start thinking of bridges or ditches or any other sort of grade separation, it stops being $5 million. This means that the speed won't be much faster than that of a local bus. It helps buses bypass traffic jam gridlock, but that's about it.

I'm sorry, but isn't that pretty much Transit City in a nutshell?

The entire hydro corridor need not be paved over to make this a viable option for a few key locations. There are many destinations where the service of a dedicated busway may be an option for moving large numbers of commuters (or shoppers/students...) over fairly short distances such as the York University section.
The fact that the land is owned be the Hydro Corporation should not be an obstacle when the public good is being served. Compromises can be reached.

If anything, would it not be easier to rent the land from the Hydro Corp than buy it from a private entity? If the corridor is owned by the Province (or a subsidiary corporation of it), couldn't an inter-departmental deal be reached? Remember, it would likely be the Province paying for this anyway, as they did with Transit City. The City would merely be responsible for saying "we'd like to put it here".

I think the Renforth to York U busway via the Finch Hydro Corridor would be a far better investment than the Finch LRT which won't be much faster than a VIVA Bus. The busway would be real rapid transit.

Not everyone needs nor should even get a transit station at their door...........that's what the local bus is for. A lot of people need real rapid transit across the top of the city to connect with major rail and employment centres, The Finch busway would offer GO speed and service but be useful for those needing to get somewhere fast that doesn't entail going to Union.

That horrid traffic on the 401 is not because a lot of those people wouldn't take transit but because there is absolutely no transit to take. Sitting on a crosstown bus for an 2 hours is not optional for 99% of the population.

I think the Renforth to York U busway via the Finch Hydro Corridor would be a far better investment than the Finch LRT which won't be much faster than a VIVA Bus. The busway would be real rapid transit.

Not everyone needs nor should even get a transit station at their door...........that's what the local bus is for. A lot of people need real rapid transit across the top of the city to connect with major rail and employment centres, The Finch busway would offer GO speed and service but be useful for those needing to get somewhere fast that doesn't entail going to Union.

That horrid traffic on the 401 is not because a lot of those people wouldn't take transit but because there is absolutely no transit to take. Sitting on a crosstown bus for an 2 hours is not optional for 99% of the population.

There was a 40-year-old plan to make it into a commuter-style RT line (i.e GO Urban / GO-ALRT / smaller rer-style surface subways), so I personally don't think it's an unrealistic idea. Naturally local-med dist service would be better off along the roadway and where ppl are and are going. But a commuter-focused service wouldn't be an issue.

Undergrounding transmission lines is an eventuality in a city like TO. Creates land, lessens vulnerability, saves power (less line loss). We're seeing it elsewhere, so I wouldn't t rule out the use of hydro corridors in our future.

Has anyone checked in with Hydro One lately?

The last I heard, they were emphatically opposed to any joint use of their corridors. The Kipling bus terminal and potential road alignments at Six Points is one such point of contention.

- Paul

Has anyone checked in with Hydro One lately?

The last I heard, they were emphatically opposed to any joint use of their corridors. The Kipling bus terminal and potential road alignments at Six Points is one such point of contention.

- Paul
Definitely "show me the money" time now that it's being flogged to the private sector.

Back