30     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 957     0 

POST PICS-the worst of Toronto

D

downtown dude

I think it would be a good idea for people to go around Toronto taking pictures of the worst of Toronto. There is so much wrong with Toronto, that it would not be too hard a task. Maybe this way we can embarrass politicians, architects, developers, businesses and the citizens of Toronto into action, or at the very least make people think about the possibility of positive change. Mayor Miller promised to beautify Toronto, well planting flowers ain't gonna do it. Some distinctive furniture on main streets might help. Do away with all above ground parking lots will help. Mega shopping malls with huge parking lots have helped to destroy the burbs, at least they should build apartments/condos above those huge monsters and help contribute to the end of needless sprawl. What a waste of land, such bad planning. Make Toronto original, give us our own look, style and flavour. Think outside the box. It is time to take desing and architecture seriously in this god forsaken town. Mr. Miller, save us from ourselves and greedy developers! Post those ugly pics, you have lots of material to chose from. Ok, this rant is finally over! My frustration, remains. lol

rford.jpg

Now, if you posed that question to, I dunno, "Toronto Star readers" (or whatever, in some abstract way, approximates "AOLers" or whatever derogatory term was accorded to Middle American Web Bumpkins not so long ago), you might get a few responses like this

ass3imgB.jpg

Speaking of which, here's looking forward to the next Fugly awards;-)

I think it would be a good idea for people to go around Toronto taking pictures of the worst of Toronto. There is so much wrong with Toronto, that it would not be too hard a task. Maybe this way we can embarrass politicians, architects, developers, businesses and the citizens of Toronto into action, or at the very least make people think about the possibility of positive change. Mayor Miller promised to beautify Toronto, well planting flowers ain't gonna do it. Some distinctive furniture on main streets might help. Do away with all above ground parking lots will help. Mega shopping malls with huge parking lots have helped to destroy the burbs, at least they should build apartments/condos above those huge monsters and help contribute to the end of needless sprawl. What a waste of land, such bad planning. Make Toronto original, give us our own look, style and flavour. Think outside the box. It is time to take desing and architecture seriously in this god forsaken town. Mr. Miller, save us from ourselves and greedy developers! Post those ugly pics, you have lots of material to chose from. Ok, this rant is finally over! My frustration, remains. lol

And your contribution.

^ :lol . You aren't understanding Ed... this is like Dan's newsclip discussion threads were he doesn't need to start the discussion... in this case downtown dude is starting a post pictures thread sans pictures :)

Well let's deal with mental images then!

The image I'm conjuring up for my worst-ever nominee is Bay Street south of Front:

(1) The metal barriers in the middle of Bay, with signs on them telling pedestrians not to cross. Except that people cross anyway and squeeze between them to reach the bus terminal. Pamplona has the running of the bulls, we have the running of the commuters.

(2) The concrete barriers by the roadside in the underpass that are also intended to prevent people crossing Bay. There are a few gaps and sometimes people still run across.

(3) The concrete barriers in the middle of Bay, south of the underpass, outside the ACC. People still vault over them, like some sort of obscure Olympic sport.

In essence, signs that tell you to do one thing, and barriers that are so poorly designed they tempt you to ignore the signs and just do it anyway!

How about that remaining fragment of the green-PoMo sidewalk shelters they lined Bay with in the late 80s?

You aren't understanding Ed... this is like Dan's newsclip discussion threads were he doesn't need to start the discussion... in this case downtown dude is starting a post pictures thread sans pictures

dude, you really got a boner for me, don't you. :eek

Back