News   Aug 23, 2024
 534     0 

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Post:

An iconic logo, much like the Swiss flag

Marc Lostracco, National Post
Published: Thursday, May 25, 2006

Toronto's current flag is stodgy, boring and ugly. I offer this redesign, along with some related images, for the National Post's new-flag contest.

I was going for something very contemporary, simple and iconic, in the way the Swiss flag is. The redesign is square instead of the usual rectangle, which not only complements the strong graphical (almost semaphore) element, but also does not visually fight any flag it may share a flagpole with.

The design is extremely simple and graphic, creating a symbol that looks as good on letterhead as on a T-shirt.

Currently, Toronto does not have a strong logo like the London Underground, or even the letter-within-circle design of New York's subway lines.

On a T-shirt, for example, this design bucks the tourist-tee trends and emanates pride, strength and coolness.

A single sans-serif capital T could be both the flag and a logo indicating something official, from the ticket booth in Dundas Square to city employee badges to recycling bins.

If used as a city logo, it could have a text component that would ''label'' whatever it refers to. The lack of any text on a flag design (or T-shirt) would be almost mysterious but entirely confident in its identity.

The presence of the ''Blue T'' logo would instantly be recognizable as a brand, similar to Montreal's simple Metro signs, New York's yellow cabs or the blue-and-yellow Human Rights Campaign logo.

Toronto-based companies would be proud to fly the square flag, as might private tourist destinations such as the Rogers Centre and the Eaton Centre. Information kiosks could fly the flag (or logo branding), and there would be no confusion that the city implemented it (like the weak T.O. Tix and Toronto's current ''phone booth'' tourist kiosks).

Residents could slap on a square blue bumper sticker, as they do with the black-and-white oval U.K. or rainbow flag.

The flag design is also complementary to any kind of architecture it may fly in front of, from classical to ultra-modern.

The design is not dated or overthought, nor is it intrusive, yet it's identifiable and strong. Its simplicity would cut right through the endless billboards and advertising.

The brand would come to signify progression and competence and would fit into the iconic branding of other world-class cities. It avoids incorporating cliches like the CN Tower, the maple leaf or City Hall -- done to death. It's entirely scalable from a huge billboard to a tiny Web browser favicon.

The colours work well for this design, reminding one of clean air, sparkling water, white snow ... but also of glass skyscrapers, shiny subways and public fountains.

Finally, the similarity to the Swiss flag has an element of cheekiness, a nod to actor Peter Ustinov's famous description of Toronto as ''New York run by the Swiss!''

- Got an idea for a new Toronto flag? E-mail the Post at thecity@ nationalpost.com. The winning entry will be forwarded to the Mayor's office, and a National Post mug forwarded to the winning designer.

The whole exercise is a little silly, but the design as put forth by Mark Lostracco is indeed quite iconic - simple capital "T" set in a sky-blue background.

Now I have the urge to see it *everywhere*

AoD

the only thing that needs to be done with toronto's flag is getting rid of the maple leaf.

The city hall logo is increasingly used for all city services and employees. Do we really need another logo? Maybe a new flag is needed but that is different than a logo for government services.

logo_city_pt2.gif

Looks like some medieval herbal lore. No thanks.

AoD

To my mind, the flag (or banner, to be precise) should be the same as the arms of the city: Or, a cheif and a pale Azure. Which is to say, a blue T on a gold background.

Ultimately, the question of a flag for Toronto is properly one for the Chief Herald to answer. You'd think the Post would know that, since they used to regularly publish new achievments of arms. But now they seem to be too busy publishing lies about Iran.

The day our city fathers and mothers abandoned the high standards of "Industry, Integrity, Intelligence" in favour of the standardless world of "Diversity Our Strength" may one day be regarded as the beginning of the end.

I agree, though I enjoy the heraldic pun of basing the arms on a medieval mappa mundi, therefore underscoring Toronto's position at the centre of the universe. That's lost on hoi polloi I s'pose.

Toronto has a great flag - it's distinctive and tasteful. The real push should be for a new Ontario flag, to replace the colonial embarrassment that we currently sport.

A few years ago one of the English cities tried to use a letter of the alphabet for an identity ( 'S' for Sheffield? 'M' for Manchester? 'P' for Plymouth? I forget ... ) and it also went nowhere fast.

Why not just remove the 'T' altogether? Then we'd have something so inoffensive and neutral you could read anything into it. If the official identity of Toronto is strength through diversity, then we'd be safer to avoid any positive images at all and just go for a negative void.

The three I's isn't gone yet is it? Diversity is our Strength is just a marketing line -- but not our motto, which is intact (so yeah, so much better). But we are canadians, so we go overboard with diversity talk sometimes.

Oh no. How dreadful. I guess i was wrong. I like that Beaver though, otherwise.

The real push should be for a new Ontario flag, to replace the colonial embarrassment that we currently sport.

One-hundred percent agreement!

Back