News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 630     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 302     0 

Positive Listeria test sees Maple Leaf recall more than 26,000 packages of wieners

Prometheus The Supremo

►Member №41+⅜◄
Member Bio
Reaction score
not good for business. i admire their honesty. there are tonnes of things out there that never get noticed or reported. i think it's showing up more in maple leaf since they have such a giant footprint in the market and they probably test better. this situation is not as bad though since hotdogs get cooked. i wonder if they can save the wieners by irradiating them?

Positive Listeria test sees Maple Leaf recall more than 26,000 packages of wieners

1 hour, 9 minutes ago

By Michael Oliveira, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - More than 26,000 packages of wieners have been voluntarily recalled by Maple Leaf after thousands were mistakenly shipped throughout Eastern Canada despite some of the hot dogs testing positive for Listeria, Maple Leaf said Tuesday.

While the company said the risk to the public is extremely low, it added it was "clearly not acceptable" that some of the 450-gram packages of Shopsy's Deli Fresh All Beef Frankfurters and Maple Leaf Hot Dogs made it to market in Ontario, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland and Labrador.

"In this particular case we had human error," said Michael McCain, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Foods (TSX:MFI).

"Product was released out of quarantine. It shouldn't have been.

"We've taken corrective action against both the individuals responsible and the situation."

The recall is another public relations blow to Maple Leaf, which has been dealing with the aftermath of one of the largest food-borne illnesses in Canadian history.

The company has agreed to pay up to $125,000 to individuals with serious and long-lasting physical injuries resulting from a listeriosis outbreak linked to one of its Toronto plants last summer.

The outbreak killed at least 20 people and triggered the largest meat recall in Canadian history.

Concerns about the hot dogs were raised when some of the products produced at a Hamilton plant tested positive for Listeria.

The company tests for all six types of Listeria even though only one - Listeria monocytogenes - is dangerous to human health. It was not clear what type of Listeria was responsible for the latest recall.

Instead of being held in quarantine pending further test results, the hot dogs were accidentally cleared for release, said spokeswoman Linda Smith. About 40 per cent of the shipment was then sent to stores.

It took about one week for the recall to be declared and it's expected all the remaining products will be back in the company's control by Wednesday, Smith said.

"Clearly this is unacceptable to us, given that we have extraordinarily stringent protocols and a culture of food safety," she said.

Since Listeria is so pervasive, positive test results are actually a good sign that Maple Leaf's safety scanning is working, McCain said in an interview.

"It's a bit of a leap of faith but I'm very hopeful that people will see this is actually a good news story, that these protocols and our commitment to those protocols result in action that years ago would never even have been detected, let alone acted upon."

No illnesses have been reported by anyone who consumed the hot dogs and the company said it's confident that the risk to human health is low.

Eating a contaminated hot dog would only be potentially dangerous if it was consumed uncooked, since cooking a wiener would kill the Listeria, Smith said.

Shopsy's Deli Fresh All Beef Frankfurters carrying the product code 20730 and UPC 6487520730, with a best before date of April 22 and 23, are affected by the recall.

The recalled Maple Leaf Hot Dogs Original products have product code 22356 with UPC 6310022356 and a best before date of April 23.

Consumers who purchased the products should call 1-800-568-5801 for more information about a refund or replacement.

source

Instead of being held in quarantine pending further test results, the hot dogs were accidentally cleared for release, said spokeswoman Linda Smith. About 40 per cent of the shipment was then sent to stores.

It took about one week for the recall to be declared and it's expected all the remaining products will be back in the company's control by Wednesday, Smith said.

Maple Leaf might want to consider some new employees.

Here we go again...
video3-en.png

hydrogen, i totally missed that part you quoted. that's just not right.

I wonder when we will get another Tory insensitive joke.
This is crazy to have happened twice to the same company. It doesn't give me confidence in the food safety laws and regulations being implemented to protect the nation.

it doesn't matter what laws are in place. if people don't follow the rules, stuff like this will continue to happen.

does anyone know if food irradiation is allowed in canada?

I don't think irradiation is allowed in Canada. Last I checked, it is allowed in the US (FDA) but requires an unappatizing radium label. That grade of meat is served in low-income school lunch programs and prisons.

I am very wary of food irradiation. Not so much the danger, but that it could allow food processors to get away with anything knowing radiation will deal with most pathogens.

Last edited:
I don't think irradiation is allowed in Canada. Last I checked, it is allowed in the US (FDA) but requires an unappatizing radium label. That grade of meat is served in low-income school lunch programs and prisons.

I am very wary of food irradiation. Not so much the danger, but that it could allow food processors to get away with anything knowing radiation will deal with most pathogens.

i know. irradiation is an excuse to be lazy and sloppy. i wonder if all these listeria outbreaks will freak the public out into accepting irradiated meats and provide fuel for the meat industry to lobby for irradiation.

i know. irradiation is an excuse to be lazy and sloppy. i wonder if all these listeria outbreaks will freak the public out into accepting irradiated meats and provide fuel for the meat industry to lobby for irradiation.

Just curious, but how do you know that irradiation would automatically result in lazy and sloppy practices? Food irradiation is a means to reducing - and in some cases - eliminating food-born pathogens where they otherwise exist now. The reason why it is rarely used in Canada is because of unchallenged fear-mongering over radiation.

Food irradiation would be regulated. And the food industry has already been lobbying for irradiation for years.

Read page 218 of Fast Food Nation in the chapter "What's in the Meat". That should sound alarm bells about what food irradiation could mean for what "safe" food you might end up consuming. Sloppy slaughterhouse practices because supposedly irradition will kill everything anyway could have you literally eating shit, while ignoring the many problems in food production.

hydrogen, shontron answered for me.

right now, they're very careful not to drop things on the floor or get fecal matter on the product. if it's going to get irradiated, you don't have to be that careful since the germs will be nuked.

Rather than using Fast Food Nation as a source, I've posted a document from the IAEA concerning food irradiation. You will note, for example, that on pages 14 and 15, there are recommendations stating that processing practices for meat be of the highest standards irrespective of irradiation. If anything, food irradiation demands a clean environment, and that is pointed out in the research. Less initial contamination also means lower doses of radiation.

http://www.iaea.org/nafa/d5/public/foodirradiation.pdf

Fast Food Nation and groups opposing food irradiation use such scare tactics about a resulting negligence in meat processing practices as a means to preventing the introduction of radiation. They claim that standards will fall, but offer no proof that such a thing will actually happen.

While it's easy (and popular) to attack meat and meat processing (and the potential for greater use of food irradiation), you might want to consider those nice greens you perceive to be so healthy because they're not meat. The fact is that no amount of washing can reliably eliminate the risk of contamination found naturally in fresh produce pulled from the soil. Soil is "contaminated." Guess where things like E.coli, salmonella and listeria are found?

Food irradiation was first patented in 1905, and has already been used for decades in many countries (including Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, Thailand and China). Items including many fresh fruits and vegetables, grains, potatoes, onions, garlic, spices, food seasonings and numerous dehydrated and dried foods have been irradiated on an industrial scale for decades. Irradiation of wheat and wheat flour was approved in the U.S. in 1963. China has been selling irradiated apples since the early 1990s.

Add to that, most disposable medical devices are sterilized using radiation, as are products such as tampons, baby bottles, cosmetics, food packages, juice cartons and wine corks.

Add to that, most disposable medical devices are sterilized using radiation, as are products such as tampons, baby bottles, cosmetics, food packages, juice cartons and wine corks.

i can't recall the last time i ever ate a tampon. :D ;)

of course allowing food irradiation isn't a guarantee that people are gonna let feces come into contact with meat and let it pass but it allows the possibility since there is less risk if it does. of course that can and probably does happen now without irradiation but i think there is more reason to not pass that defiled meat onto the consumer because there is currently nothing to kill the bacteria. why be extremely careful when you don't have to?

Prometheus, existing food processes such as heating, freezing, chemical or fumigation treatment have never been intended or used as substitutes for good hygienic practices. Nor would irradiation.

If you read the article and other guidelines concerning food irradiation, you would see that clean practices must be followed in order to properly prepare foods for irradiation. In fact, irradiation requires a stricter adherence to internationally recognized good manufacturing practices in order for the product to be properly irradiated. This is not government or industry rhetoric. In order for irradiation to be most effective, the food has to be clean. This is necessary because of how irradiation works, and important in determining how radiation doses are calculated

In short, irradiation is not a food hygiene shortcut.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodirradiation.htm

if "In order for irradiation to be most effective, the food has to be clean." wouldn't the food not need to be irradiated in the first place if it was clean?

Last edited:

Back