rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
137 Portland Street

513314215_sj8ji-M-1.jpg

513314375_oKdAL-M-1.jpg

513314389_v6oPT-M.jpg

Nice house.

OT. If you buy a semi and want to tear your side down to rebuild, what kinds of rules/restrictions are in place?

Nice house.

OT. If you buy a semi and want to tear your side down to rebuild, what kinds of rules/restrictions are in place?

I dont know about the rules, but if you have the cash and have some plans approved by the city and follow the building codes, i dont see why you cant build something similar to this Eco-Home.
The only snag i see is when it goes up for approval and the city sends out the letter of what you are proposing in your neighbourhood. Your neighbours might bitch and complain about this future box next door and try to stop it at the Committee of Adjustment in which case you might have to take it to the OMB.

I like .... any interior shots? :D

What's the building at the far right in the 3rd pic - another modern infill?

Last edited:
Thank you AG,
I'm was curious about what happens with the common party wall in a semi. Does the builder of the new house have to seal it or reinforce it in any way?

Thank you AG,
I'm was curious about what happens with the common party wall in a semi. Does the builder of the new house have to seal it or reinforce it in any way?

In the case of a friend of mine that renovated an old Edwardian house in Parkdale, which also was a semi he had to build himself and his neighbour a firewall in between with a bunch of layers of 5/8 fireproof drywall and soundproof/fireproof insulation, but it was a gut and not a buildup from the foundation. I would think and someone on this forum might know better, that if you build up from ground level you would most likely have to build a seperate wall from the party wall.

Thanks again, I've seen a few in my neighborhood and wondered what kind of hell they'd have to go though. If you build from the ground up, would they then considered to be two detached houses?

This issue interests me too. I have a two story semi and am interested in building a 3rd floor addition. I wonder if I could simply put a new wall on top of the old brick, or would I have to make the 3rd floor addition narrower than the second floor and avoid getting close to the shared wall. Building the full width is obviously more attractive for usable space.

Back