News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 629     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 

Poll: What Should The New Eglinton/Scarborough LRT/Metro Be Called?

What Should The New Eglinton/Scarborough LRT/Metro Be Called?

• Eglinton Crosstown LRT

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Eglinton Metro

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Midtown LRT

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Midtown Metro

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Crosstown LRT

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Crosstown Metro

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough LRT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough Metro

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 18 19.4%

• Total voters
I think to Torontonians "subway" implies more the technology than it does whether or not its actually underground.
I call a subway a subway because it's (mostly) underground. "Eglinton line" is likely what people will call it, and they'll think of it as a subway regardless of the fact that it is LRT.

But what happens when it gets extended into Etobicoke?

I would rename it: Scarborough-Eglinton-Pearson.
I can't remember if the extension to Pearson continued on Eglinton; but if it did it could remain Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown.

I would rename it: Scarborough-Eglinton-Pearson.
I can't remember if the extension to Pearson continued on Eglinton; but if it did it could remain Scarborough-Eglinton Crosstown.

This is why I personally avoided regional or street names in my choice (my preference being Midtown Metro). It's a simple name that has a nice ring to it, and it accurately describes the fact that the majority of the line passes through what would be considered 'Midtown' Toronto. I personally consider 'Midtown' to be anything between St. Clair and the 401, but that's just me.

He died in the 1980s ... as did Allen.

Noted. Thank you. Still, I don't think Rob Ford would be too keen on naming Miller's legacy project after Miller right now, haha.

That would be like, should Ignatieff win, him naming the new Stats Can building after Harper.

This is why I personally avoided regional or street names in my choice (my preference being Midtown Metro). It's a simple name that has a nice ring to it, and it accurately describes the fact that the majority of the line passes through what would be considered 'Midtown' Toronto. I personally consider 'Midtown' to be anything between St. Clair and the 401, but that's just me.

That certainly makes sense.
If the airport link were added though I would have "Airport" in the name as well; "Midtown-Airport" sounds good to me!

I voted the Etobicoke-Eglinton-Scarborough metro, but the Eglinton-Crosstown metro would also work. The main reason why I didn't go for 'LRT' is because it would make it too easy to lump any or all shortfalls the line may encounter with the LRT branding. If people perceive it as another line in our subway network, it will allow it the opportunity to develop public support rather than an "orphan" line like the SRT is today.

Eglinton Line

...Most people in the greater public don't want to hear if it's SRT, LRT, etc. etc. etc.... all they care is that it's a damn transit line. And it GENERALLY runs along Eglinton.

Eglinton Line

...Most people in the greater public don't want to hear if it's SRT, LRT, etc. etc. etc.... all they care is that it's a damn transit line. And it GENERALLY runs along Eglinton.
Most sensible post yet!

Eglinton/Blue line. The one bright spot about this is that it allows Eglinton to use the colour blue. I'm not a fan of the SRT blue, but it's still blue.

Back