News   Jul 17, 2024
 273     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 988     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 559     0 

Poll: Renaming Yonge-University-Spadina

What should the Yonge-University-Spadina line be called?

• Yonge-University-Spadina

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Yonge-University

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • Yellow Line

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Line 1

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
I would make it Orange. The TTC uses Red for surface routes on their maps and signs.

Um, the TTC can use any colour it wants for surface routes. It shouldn't have any bearing on the colour of the DRL.

To counter your orange, I would suggest that'll be Hurontario's colour, and it'll be the "Orange" line, so you cannot use it for the DRL.

Further, I would suggest that if and when the SRT is replaced with a subway extension to STC (freeing up the colour blue), that we use blue as Eglinton's colour (the Eglinton Crosstown display boards show it in blue after all) so Eglinton can be the "Blue Line".

In summary:

Red Line - DRL
Orange Line- Hurontario
Yellow Line - YUS
Green Line - Bloor-Danforth
Blue Line - Eglinton
Purple Line - Sheppard

For future lines (e.g. Finch LRT) we still have less ideal colours like Pink, Black, Silver.

Last edited:
Wait...why do we care what colour Hurontario is? By this logic we need to avoid duplicating VIVA colours too. At least our subway lines actually connect to VIVA routes. As long as the lines don't touch, duplication is not a primary concern, and DRL and Hurontario will never ever intersect.

Yeah. No idea why Hurontario is relevant at all.

I agree with your colours, except the DRL should be Orange. The surface routes have, and always will be red, since that's the TTC's colour. I recommend not using the surface route colour for a rapid transit route.

Yeah. No idea why Hurontario is relevant at all.

I agree with your colours, except the DRL should be Orange. The surface routes have, and always will be red, since that's the TTC's colour. I recommend not using the surface route colour for a rapid transit route.

Honestly I think that's the worst reason I've ever heard not to use Red for a subway. As I said, surface routes can use any colour you want, or no colour. I understand why they've used red up until this point, but adding subway lines we'll have to use Red at some point. Red is preferable to Orange for a DRL because Orange is too close to the Yellow of the YUS line.

Another reason you should be looking at the Hurontario LRT is because it's the only other rail rapid transit in the GTA so it makes sense to show it on the map, at least when Bloor-Danforth reaches Hurontario & Dundas and/or MCC. Gotta plan ahead people! Keep up!

Honestly I think that's the worst reason I've ever heard not to use Red for a subway. As I said, surface routes can use any colour you want, or no colour. I understand why they've used red up until this point, but adding subway lines we'll have to use Red at some point. Red is preferable to Orange for a DRL because Orange is too close to the Yellow of the YUS line.

There are an infinite number of colours, so there's no reason to bump hundreds of routes out of the colour red. Orange is only as close to Yellow as you want it to be, thanks to the wide variety of hues available.

There are many subway systems with more than six lines, and I don't think the world came to an end when they had used up the primary and secondary colours.

London, for example, uses 3 different shades of blue for different lines. Dark Blue for the Picadilly line, Blue for the Victoria line, and Light Blue for the Waterloo and City line. The DLR also uses light blue, but with a white stripe on the maps.

Another reason you should be looking at the Hurontario LRT is because it's the only other rail rapid transit in the GTA so it makes sense to show it on the map, at least when Bloor-Danforth reaches Hurontario & Dundas and/or MCC. Gotta plan ahead people! Keep up!

Why would MT use orange for their LRT? Orange is for local buses. Blue (MiExpress) is for express services.

Even if there was a Red Line DRL subway, no one is going to confuse surface route with it. MT uses a different colour for every route. No one goes by the colours anyway.

As for why MT/BT would use orange for their LRT, I don't know if they would, but I would. Orange is MT's colour and Hurontario is mainly in Mississauga. Blue (Brampton's colour) is already used by the SRT and the Eglinton LRT. It's just my personal preference. And like I said, I think the Hurontario LRT should be on a map with the subway and other rapid transit.

The signage in stations has red lines on it to direct people to surface transit. All the signage across the system would need to change to be clear.

I don't think anyone has ever associated Red with the surface network. It's just a background colour that stands for the TTC. Nothing more, nothing less. There's still no reason it can't be used for the DRL.

I voted Line 1 (which is actually what it is called internally). I'm a fan of the Parisian system of numbering the subway lines and lettering the regional rail lines. Obviously, the current colouring of the TTC lines should stay, but they would be generally referred to by the number.

I voted Line 1 (which is actually what it is called internally). I'm a fan of the Parisian system of numbering the subway lines and lettering the regional rail lines. Obviously, the current colouring of the TTC lines should stay, but they would be generally referred to by the number.

If Metrolinx took control of all the transit systems in the GTA then they could implement such a region-wide system of letters and numbers

I think the current usage of the colour yellow is already fairly effective. Some tourists (and some of my suburban friends) know the lines by their colours on the map. I was once waiting for a southbound University train at St. George and some tourists came up and asked whether this was the right platform to take "the Yellow line to Union".

The signage is already colour-coded enough that you don't even need to know the name of the line anyway.

I voted for Yonge-University, not because of cultural value, but because it distinguishes between the two sides of the line. If I'm downtown with friends, I might ask them "Are you taking the Yonge line or the University line home?" What would I ask if the line were simply called the Yellow line?

This is something I have adopted for all the maps that I make. Using the NYC-style bubbles, subway routes are numbered, and LRT/BRT routes are lettered. Provides a multitude of reference options, and clearly distinguishes what is subway and what is LRT/BRT. Of course, NYC uses both numbers and letters as well, but their's is because of the two previously independent systems.

Should we have a vote on the DRL's colour? I vote we call it the Red Line.

I have used red for my maps, so naturally, that is my preference as well, haha.

IIRC the DRLNow! group uses red for the DRL as well. That may have biased my opinion. I think it's often shown in red.

How about the Yonge-Downsview line? Please-NO Color names...

Everyone: Why not re-name the YUS route the Yonge-Downsview Line after the final destination area of the Spadina leg of the line but not re-name the Yonge leg because of its significant importance to this route?

I am NO fan of re-naming lines with a well-established name in favor of a color like what was done in Chicago...

To me it is "dumbing down" the transit system - I understand it may make things easier on a literacy standpoint
but the names in question are well-established and get the point across just fine...I do understand,though how the Yonge-University-Spadina name may confuse people...

Let me also clarify myself and say that I have NO problem with color coding on maps,signs,etc as it can only help riders identify routes but I DO have a problem when the line in question is re-named in favor of the color used...

Thoughts and opinions from Long Island Mike

Back