350     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 630     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference....laying off 100,000 employees requires you to go to people currently employed and give them lay off notices. Not replacing them upon them leaving for other work or retiring does not require that at all. Will there be layoffs....I bet you there will be.....is it anywhere close to 100k....not likely.

For an election campaign that has ground down and been bogged down in technical definitions it is right for Mr. Hudak to resist any lies that he will "lay off" or (worse) "fire" 100,000 people......it is simply not true.
I really don't care about the issue of terminations. I'm far more concerned by longer waits in hospitals, bigger classes, and more poverty.

Office clerks, receptionists, couriers, cleaners and position that only requires a high school diploma will be cut way ahead of teachers and health workers.
Some 700,000 of the 850,000 provincial government workers are in education and health. I don't think the schools or hospitals have anywhere near enough clerks, receptionists, and cleaners to get 100,000 cuts in position!

Office clerks, receptionists, couriers, cleaners and position that only requires a high school diploma will be cut way ahead of teachers and health workers.

If you believe there are nothing but 100,000 clerks and cleaners on the provincial payroll, then you are incredibly uninformed.

Smaller cities with large government buildings such as Guelph, will have skyrocketing unemployment rates under Hudak, as they could lose over 1000 good paying jobs. Also means that there are fewer opportunities for young workers.

Smaller cities with large government buildings such as Guelph, will have skyrocketing unemployment rates under Hudak, as they could lose over 1000 good paying jobs. Also means that there are fewer opportunities for young workers.

I guess we would need to know how many provincial employees there are in Guelph and what they do....that is beyond my knowledge level but do you know or is the 1000 just a number?

Exactly. From a TO perspective you can't see this, but many Ontario cities (Guelph & Kingston are two that immediately come to mind) are dependent on the provincial public sector to survive economically. Just look at all the economic malaise the city of Ottawa is now facing because of Harper's government cuts.

I'm going to be cheesy and take a line directly from Wynne: "Government should be a force for good in people's lives".

People need to STOP using 'government' like its some dirty word and propose all these stupid ideas to cut it down. Government is GOOD, it equalizes our society, makes everything fairer, provides us with services we need.

I guess we would need to know how many provincial employees there are in Guelph and what they do....that is beyond my knowledge level but do you know or is the 1000 just a number?

According to CUPE Senior Economist Toby Sangerit will be over 2400 jobs lost in Guelph and over 3000 in Kingston.

http://ofl.ca/index.php/research-reveals-devastating-city-by-city-impacts-hudaks-100000-job-cuts/

I haven't heard from Hudak where and what jobs will be cut? Will Guelph and Kingston see fewer job cuts as 1overcosc said because they are dependent on the provincial public sector to survive economically?

According to CUPE Senior Economist Toby Sangerit will be over 2400 jobs lost in Guelph and over 3000 in Kingston.

http://ofl.ca/index.php/research-reveals-devastating-city-by-city-impacts-hudaks-100000-job-cuts/

I haven't heard from Hudak where and what jobs will be cut? Will Guelph and Kingston see fewer job cuts as 1overcosc said because they are dependent on the provincial public sector to survive economically?
Look at where the employees are. 140,000 in Ministries and agencies. And over 500,000 in education and health. Presumably the cuts will be everywhere.

But even I wonder if we need a Ministry of Agriculture ... which obviously would hurt Guelph. Though I'm sure Guelph could survive that ... I'm not expert, but isn't their industrial base actually doing relatively well (at least compared to the rest of the province! At least that's the impression I get when I'm driving though ... as opposed to driving down Warden, or driving through places like St. Thomas).

Last edited:

So, do we just let the hospitals be dirty after you cut the cleaner, or do we pay the doctors $96/hour to clean?

Look I don't agree with the usage....but it is exactly the same way the government of the day used it when they presented that budget in 2009 (and likely in other documents as other governments have). When Mr. Duncan stood in the house to present that budget do you think he was misleading the public when he said the government programs had created "X number of jobs"?
There's a big difference in the public impact of an election campaign and a budget speech. You must agree that there's a difference in scale at least.

cut 100 000 positions (including those that are already vacant, not replacing those who are retiring and not renewing contractual employees, casual employees and temporary employees) not 100 000 employees and certainly not permanent employees
I'm not sure where the argument is here, I'm not disagreeing with you. That being said, the 100,000 jobs cut will still devestate the public service. Whether it's through attrition or layoffs the impact on the workplace is the same - valuable positions are still being lost. Or in the case of casual employees and cleaners, cheap employees whose absence would save next to no money.

So, do we just let the hospitals be dirty after you cut the cleaner, or do we pay the doctors $96/hour to clean?

The private cleans hospital at a reduce cost. We did it for our government buildings and RCMP detachment, and guess what, we saved money and I never heard of a cop who had to mop the floor.

Last edited:
Ha okay. So you mean to tell us that a the aforementioned poll and all the polls consistently showing that 60% to 2/3 of Ontarians oppose the PC's (and presumably their "cut the spending") are wrong. You must be a really optimistic guy.

Not saying the polls are not accurate. It's reflective of what the sample answered. All I'm saying is the true poll is election day

I'm not sure where the argument is here, I'm not disagreeing with you. That being said, the 100,000 jobs cut will still devestate the public service. Whether it's through attrition or layoffs the impact on the workplace is the same - valuable positions are still being lost. Or in the case of casual employees and cleaners, cheap employees whose absence would save next to no money.

Cutting those positions would bring back the number of positions in the government to 2009 level. Funny how I don't recall our government being in chaos in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back