369     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 650     1 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you call crown corporations? If they're still there to spend people's money, technically we can extend this all the way to the private sector, where private investments and employment generated from sales would technically still be 'spending other people's monies'.

Crown corporations should be run exactly like private companies in terms of cost containment and profit maximization.
No, private business are not spending other people's money. They create products for people to spend one - it is a choice not an obligation. I can choose to buy an iphone or not. But I can't choose not to subsidize a public servant's income even when the job shouldn't exist. That's the difference.

Fairness means everyone gets what he/she works for, not everyone getting an equal share of the pie.
You're able to live in Toronto, with its present Mayor, and believe that fortune is determined by what everyone works for?

Government is good to the extent its cost is worth the value it provides. However, everyone knows the government itself doesn't generate money. The government's role is to spend other people's money

What the heck do you mean by "other people's money"? The government doesn't spend "other people's money". It spends our money (taxes) that we all collectively decide how to spend.

And no, the government's role isn't to "spend money".

Last edited:
Crown corporations should be run exactly like private companies in terms of cost containment and profit maximization.
No, private business are not spending other people's money. They create products for people to spend one - it is a choice not an obligation. I can choose to buy an iphone or not. But I can't choose not to subsidize a public servant's income even when the job shouldn't exist. That's the difference.

By all extents it's still your money, even if you can choose whether or not you want to pay for it. It it's not your money, then it's someone else's.

It's asinine to reduce government down to the sole role of 'spending people's money'. If you can do that, I can too- declare that private expenditures is akin to 'spending other people's money'.

According to this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zSv89ue201E/U48h4pe36WI/AAAAAAAATKQ/ehMdV5VYrxA/s1600/Ridings.png it looks like in Guelph the Green and Tories will be battling for second. Green is polling well in Dufferin-Caledon

Interesting that the Green's are polling their best in the riding that isn't even their leader's. Schreiner is polling pretty well in Guelph though. I would have suspected they would have taken a page from the Federal Greens and put all their eggs in their leader's basket in an effort to get them elected.

What the heck do you mean by "other people's money"? The government doesn't spend "other people's money". It spends our money (taxes) that we all collectively decide how to spend.

And no, the government's role isn't to "spend money".
So then he is not wrong. They spend other peoples money. Which is the tax dollars and green boondongles etc that have happened since 2008.

Just to get this back to transit, here is summary of each party's transit platform according to this:

Liberal: Regional Express Rail (electrification and two-way, all-day service on all GO lines within 10 years); downtown relief line; LRT on Toronto’s East Bayfront and in Mississauga; extension of the Yonge subway to York Region; transit for Brampton, Halton Region, Durham, Hamilton as per the Metrolinx Big Move plan; party does not specify whether it supports LRT or bus rapid transit on Brampton’s Queen corridor or in Hamilton; electrification of UP Express, the Union-Pearson rail link opening next year.

Funding: $29 billion over 10 years using, in part, 7.5 cents of existing provincial gas tax and the existing HST charged on gas and diesel.
NDP: Downtown relief line; electrification of UP Express; Scarborough subway (the council-approved plan); two-way, all-day GO service to Kitchener-Waterloo; year-round daily GO train to Niagara Falls; committed to all Big Move projects, including LRT in Hamilton and Mississauga. Would, however, defer Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill. Would provide municipalities with $60 million for a bus replacement program cancelled by the Liberal government in 2010.

Funding: $29 billion over 10 years with a $250-million kick-start fund, using higher corporate taxes.
Progressive Conservative: Upload TTC rail to integrate service with GO Transit; downtown relief line; Scarborough subway; Yonge subway extension to Richmond Hill; complete the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, including the east-end portion running on a separate right-of-way on the road; cancel LRTs on Sheppard, Finch, Mississauga, Brampton and Hamilton; more all-day, two-way GO trains, including more rush-hour and express GO service providing Wi-Fi, power plug-ins and cup holders; longer term, would extend the subway to Mississauga and the Sheppard subway from Don Mills to the Scarborough City Centre.

Funding: Doesn’t allocate a specific figure to transit but will prioritize Toronto region gridlock within the $12-billion annual provincial infrastructure budget; Ontario Transportation Trust funded in part by commercializing transit stations with more retail and up to $2 billion a year realized by government and operating efficiencies.

Just to get this back to transit, here is summary of each party's transit platform according to this:

Now why does MetroNews think Hudak is going to complete the Eglinton Crosstown anytime soon, given he's announced he'll defer the Ottawa LRT, which is already under construction?

First of all, I think you meant Harris; second, while it is certain the cutting of Federal transfers has an impact, it was Harris who reduced personal income tax by 30% - and the latter didn't hesitate to download the costs to municipalities either.

AoD

Yes, i meant Harris. The claim was that the PCs broke a promise about healthcare in the 90s but in fact one of the few major portfolios that wasn't slashed under Harris was healthcare, and in fact he increased spending on it over the previous government. The tax cuts and reforms may have been unpopular with some but they were set out pretty clear in the platform that people voted for.

Now why does MetroNews think Hudak is going to complete the Eglinton Crosstown anytime soon, given he's announced he'll defer the Ottawa LRT, which is already under construction?

Can you confirm he said he will cancel the existing LRT project?

From the debate and everything I've read, his comments referred to the deferral of Phase 2:

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0606-elxn-lrt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back