530     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 828     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although Metrolinx, we can all admit, has failed in its initial goal of being a non-partisan agency taking the politics out of transit, it's true that it maintains a certain degree of decision-making ability and/or independence. That I believe is what Hudak would do to it: remove whatever "teeth" Metrolinx has, and turn it into a brand or a shell under which different services like GO and the TTC subway could be joined.

Of course that's not to say that Hudak couldn't outright dissolve Metrolinx either. He's certainly flirted with the idea before, and I consider him reckless enough to do it. To a PC supporter, an agency like Metrolinx is really at odds with the gospel of small government.

To return to the original point, it's true that people have no idea what a proper regional rail service could do. I've often noted with transit that people prefer frequency over capacity, given the choice, and that's fundamental flaw in our systems as they stand: GO runs 10-or-12-car trains pulled by enormous diesel locomotives at low frequencies, on most lines not even all day, and they run empty much of the day because of the monolithic and inflexible nature of that model. Riders living at Dundas and Bloor will board the subway at Dundas West to commute downtown rather than hop on the GO from Bloor station, even though the GO will get them there faster, because they don't want to pay a higher fare for a service that requires them to conform to a rigid schedule of trains separated by huge gaps in service. Were GO running 4-to-6-car EMUs at 10-15 minute intervals, ridership would skyrocket because trains would be fast AND frequent. As it stands now people are driven to the subway by GO's choice of capacity over frequency - in short, a self-fulfilling destructive prophecy. Not to mention even the fare structure and lack of local bus connections. This needs to be addressed, or else we'll keep wasting untold billions on subways into the depths of suburbia (like the mind-numbingly-stupid Vaughan Centre extension) when GO could just as easily, or even more easily, accommodate the same trips. Bringing the whole TTC directly under Metrolinx control would work wonders for these problems.

Although Metrolinx, we can all admit, has failed in its initial goal of being a non-partisan agency taking the politics out of transit, it's true that it maintains a certain degree of decision-making ability and/or independence. That I believe is what Hudak would do to it: remove whatever "teeth" Metrolinx has, and turn it into a brand or a shell under which different services like GO and the TTC subway could be joined.

Of course that's not to say that Hudak couldn't outright dissolve Metrolinx either. He's certainly flirted with the idea before, and I consider him reckless enough to do it. To a PC supporter, an agency like Metrolinx is really at odds with the gospel of small government.

To return to the original point, it's true that people have no idea what a proper regional rail service could do. I've often noted with transit that people prefer frequency over capacity, given the choice, and that's fundamental flaw in our systems as they stand: GO runs 10-or-12-car trains pulled by enormous diesel locomotives at low frequencies, on most lines not even all day, and they run empty much of the day because of the monolithic and inflexible nature of that model. Riders living at Dundas and Bloor will board the subway at Dundas West to commute downtown rather than hop on the GO from Bloor station, even though the GO will get them there faster, because they don't want to pay a higher fare for a service that requires them to conform to a rigid schedule of trains separated by huge gaps in service. Were GO running 4-to-6-car EMUs at 10-15 minute intervals, ridership would skyrocket because trains would be fast AND frequent. As it stands now people are driven to the subway by GO's choice of capacity over frequency - in short, a self-fulfilling destructive prophecy. Not to mention even the fare structure and lack of local bus connections. This needs to be addressed, or else we'll keep wasting untold billions on subways into the depths of suburbia (like the mind-numbingly-stupid Vaughan Centre extension) when GO could just as easily, or even more easily, accommodate the same trips. Bringing the whole TTC directly under Metrolinx control would work wonders for these problems.

The Western GTA MOVE Taskforce spoked about creating a single transit body with all systems solely under Metrolinx in their just release transit report and it was removed for some reason unknown to the group at the last moment.

Even addressing various issues with Metrolinx as well issues Metrolinx had no control over were removed as well.

Unless the PC/Hudak have a plan to find 150 engineers within 6 months of being elected to offer all day service on all lines as well 15 minutes service, it going to take 3/4 years to get them under current Transport Canada and FRA standards. At the same time, a lot of wasted resources having these people doing very little in those 2 years of being hire to be an engineer.

Then there is the problem of putting anymore service on the Milton line until the 3 and 4 track is in place which was supposed to be done as 3 tracks by 2011 and now 2021/23 for 4 track corridor including a fly under from the south side to the north side in the Lambton area at a cost of $1.5 Billion. CP Mainline to the US

The same type of problem on the KW line between Bramalea and Georgetown where a 4th track has to be added and putting in a 3rd track in Downtown Brampton. Then you got to add a 2nd track from Georgetown to KW and possibility of a 3rd. CN Mainline to the US.

Not electrifying the system is not been green, waste of resources, more expensive to operate and continue doing things the old ways.

Metrolinx has fail from day one as it doesn't have the power or backbone to override municipality changing plans under the Big Move; seeing the Big Move is flaw and take steps to correct those errors; building project that have the less impact on moving people or environment green ahead of ones that do to keep everyone happy; not doing a true business case review and true ranking of projects and cow bowing to their master.

In some way,
Hudak is correct in looking at scraping Metrolinx as it is another layer of government under MTO.

The Lakeshore Line change to 30 minute service has already prove how good the idea was doing that it has increase ridership in a short time frame and making profit doing so. Not every line going to see this, but if it help to take 10% of the cars off the road today, it none its job with all day service 7 days a week.

Because trains are not DMU, it cost about $500 to break or makeup a train that should only be 3-5 cars long for off peak in place of the 10-12 car train. The extra wear and tear on the equipment that is not needed for these off peak train is worth the cost of having sets sitting in the yard or on line during the peak time. Even the maintenance and wear and tear of the track system will benefit from shorter train.

Will Mr Nut Case
Hudak address these issues and tell us how he will deal with it???

Last edited:
The Lakeshore Line change to 30 minute service has already prove how good the idea was doing that it has increase ridership in a short time frame and making profit doing so.

That's a nugget of information I had not seen before....the 30 minute service is making a profit? When they announced/started it they said it would take an additional $7million/year subsidy to offer that level of service....so they have had so much ridership they are not only not using the subsidy they are actually turning a profit? When was that announced? (it should have been front page news!)

That's a nugget of information I had not seen before....the 30 minute service is making a profit? When they announced/started it they said it would take an additional $7million/year subsidy to offer that level of service....so they have had so much ridership they are not only not using the subsidy they are actually turning a profit? When was that announced? (it should have been front page news!)

Drum uses the term profit very loosely. What he really means is that it is not requiring as large of a subsidy as expected.

Last edited:
Drum uses the term profit very loosely. What he really means is that it is not requiring as large of a subsidy as expected.

Even that is good news though....if I were the MoT and announced a generally well accepted increase in service and estimated it would cost $7 million a year....and in the first year it proved more successful and used something less than that...I would be shouting it from the rooftops!

I wouldn't be surprised if what Drum means is that the additional fare revenue from the increase of service is above the cost of introducing that additional service, meaning the subsidy is the same if not slightly lower than the old hourly frequency. Given that the ridership increase has been roughly double what they expected (30% compared to the expected 18%). I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

I wouldn't be surprised if what Drum means is that the additional fare revenue from the increase of service is above the cost of introducing that additional service, meaning the subsidy is the same if not slightly lower than the old hourly frequency. Given that the ridership increase has been roughly double what they expected (30% compared to the expected 18%). I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

I am not questioning, or guessing, what Drum is saying...I am sure the next time he checks the thread he will let us know.

What you have described would be that the 30 minute service is profitable....if I understand you correctly you are saying that the ridership is high enough to cover the cost of the additional service and, perhaps, even eat into the old subsidy level.

Either way, again, they should be screaming that out as loud as they can...there was very little criticism of the service introduction even though they said/acknowledged that it would cost $7 million additional yearly to increase from hourly to half hourly.....you are suggesting it might be that none of that $7 million is being spent which would mean that the service is crushing its original ridership projections...this is the sort of news a pro-transitexpansion government should be telling the world.

Even that is good news though....if I were the MoT and announced a generally well accepted increase in service and estimated it would cost $7 million a year....and in the first year it proved more successful and used something less than that...I would be shouting it from the rooftops!

Indeed. It is good news. I believe improved GO performance for minimal investment over the last few years is what encouraged the liberals to propose 15 minute frequencies on all lines.

Indeed. It is good news. I believe improved GO performance for minimal investment over the last few years is what encouraged the liberals to propose 15 minute frequencies on all lines.

Just not sure why they have not published/announced these results (at least I can't find it).....looking forward to Drum telling us where the numbers are.

Just not sure why they have not published/announced these results (at least I can't find it).....looking forward to Drum telling us where the numbers are.

I've not seen official numbers either. GO in general doesn't seem to like to release information when they don't need to. The closest I know of are a few hints in the press that things are going well.

Staff, unofficially, will tell you things are going well.

Matt's analysis is bang on. Personally, I favour either uploading the entire system (surface routes and all), or leaving it alone. The PCs seem to have a bad habit of separating the parts of an entity that make money from the parts that don't, leaving the parts that don't to either require a larger subsidy or to wither and die.

If Hudak wants to tinker with who is delivering what, I think he should start by uploading Burlington, Oakville, and Milton transit (Halton being one of the two regional municipalities in the GTA that doesn't have an upper level system) to Metrolinx, so that it can be fully integrated with GO transit. Let those areas benefit from the same type of RT-surface route synergy that the TTC has now.

Then, once you have all of the 'upload kinks' worked out, move on to other 905 agencies, and eventually the TTC. Tackling the TTC first IMO is a recipe for disaster, because it would likely be biting off more than Metrolinx can chew. At least a smaller 905 agency could be a manageable undertaking.

So you would rather have a Regional body determine the locations of the stops on my local bus route, than to have the subway system (which is clearly used by many passengers from the GTA) uploaded to the Provincial government so they can integrate it with their current (GO) system and so they can pay for the expansion which is beyond the means of the City.
The status quo tells us one thing. Improvements of GO to serve Toronto will never happen under the current arrangement. The longer the TTC subways stay out of the hands of the Province, the longer it will take to have frequent service on GO to serve Toronto.

We haven't gotten all day service in 40 years, therefor we must upload and wreck a completely separate system to get it? what? The reason we don't have frequent all day service is because nobody has ever dedicated the capital to do it, not because the subway is owned by the city. Its almost like saying "The DVP is really congested, we need to widen it. To do that, we need to upload highway 174 in Ottawa!"

Both of those things in that hypothetical situation are being considered by Hudak as well BTW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back