530     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 829     2 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it is that balancing the budget can be done within a 1st mandate. No shovels would be in the ground in less than a term anyway for all those subway lines. The only funds necessary withing a first term would be the planning part of the project (bids, design and engineering) which would be in the millions of $. The billions would come much later once the construction is ready to begin. I don't see how it's misleading to say that the province would be ready to spend billions once the budget is balance. It doesn't stop them to dedicate funds from a balance project once the deficit is gone.

If that's the case, then the truthful thing to say is - there won't be any subways built until the election after if we became government.

AoD

I know the Liberals just wasted a billion dollars. But the PCs wasted Billions to filling in the Eglinton Subway and building the Sheppard Subway... Both parties Fd up. But the Liberals at least have transit as a top priority moving forward. The PCs top priority is balance and if that ever happens then we can talk (talk is cheap) about building transit. Maybe the NDPers and Andrea can all ride their rafts to work. SMH

Well the PCs didn't waste billions directly - but it certainly contributed to cost increases down the road when a line has to be built.

AoD

yea if you are a transit advocate you are trading a bird in a hand (LRT) for Birds in a bush (Subway). People should really think about how much they dislike the idea of LRT vs having NO TRANSIT before voting PC.

Agreed. As a transit user, i couldn't imagine voting for Hudak's current transit plan.

On that score, his government had no qualms about filling in a hole that had just started on the basis of "budget deficits" - and I believe the deficits are worse this time over.

AoD

That is like saying that Liberals have no qualms about cancelling a signed helicopter contract and then sending soldiers and rescuers out to die in ageing choppers.
They were one-off policies made under difficult financial conditions.

That is like saying that Liberals have no qualms about cancelling a signed helicopter contract and then sending soldiers and rescuers out to die in ageing choppers.

Dont worry the PCs made sure we got air planes to send off to the ukraine. We dont need transit.

Nice analogy, though one that might hit closer to home is Walkerton and SARS. Jest aside, I have said, the financial conditions are more difficult now.

Wasn't most the the existing subway network built under PC governments' tenure?

The PC governments of yesteryear were very different from the PC party today. Hudak is a Harrisite Conservative, and Harris' government was the one known for cancelling an under-construction Eglinton West subway...

I'm a transit enthusiast as anybody else on this board but Ontario's economy is in terrible shape and needs to be repaired. That can't be ignored either.

I don't trust Hudak, I trust his desire to win. I believe he'll deliver the DRL to get Toronto's votes which he needs to get a majority. If in 4 years he has nothing to show for it (financing plans, opening date, station designs) he can kiss his job goodbye since Toronto would never forgive a 2nd betrayal and I think he knows that. Will he deliver all of the above? I'm not naive enough to believe it unless he achieve an economical miracle of biblical proportion. I think under a PC majority there will be shovels on the ground for the Scarborough subway, Eglinton Crosstown will be progressing and the DRL studies and plans will be done and we might be bidding. I think reforming Metrolinx to make it similar or like Transport for London will be a main focus of his term.

Any less than that and he will lose Toronto's votes

Last edited:
Well the PCs didn't waste billions directly - but it certainly contributed to cost increases down the road when a line has to be built.

Opportunity cost. It's extremely clear the GTA economy is being held back by transportation issues.

If you believe, as entities like the Toronto Board of Trade tell us, that the GTA is losing $8Billion GDP per year then congestion is costing the province about $1.5B in lost revenue per year. That might be tens of billions of lost revenue by the time something is actually built.

You can't pin that on any individual party (they've all messed up). The voter has been pretty damn consistent about sacrificing tomorrow for today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back