222     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 713     2 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 781     0 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
DRL is far more important than those LRT lines. if those 2.3-2.5 Billions can accelerate the DRL than it makes more sense. Finch West doesn't even have an express branch. They could start with that with reserved lane in the meantime.

You don't build transit by cancelling transit, far more money is needed and there are not enough LRT lines to cancel to build all the transit that is needed.

Would he go for another Harris repeat and fill the hole back in?

I think he would incite a riot if so. Maybe he's given up on that one (thankfully) now that things are in full swing (mind you, not that it stopped Harris). I'd say your translation was pretty much spot on.

As for the London transport thing...I visit London every year or so and use bus, over and under ground train. People seem to despise the private operating, complaining about delays, construction over runs, increasing prices... but it's just my anecdotal experience. Anyone else have any experience/info about their way of running things? Is there a role for this type of model within the TTC?

Last edited:
Seems that he takes the outer suburban vote for granted by killing their LRT (Mississauga and Hamilton) but he wants to upgrade GO to counter balance that.

Maybe he just does not see that killing a Mississauga LRT would lose him much (any?) support there? Maybe, just maybe, that project is driven by politicians and not the populace (in his mind) and cancelling it can be seen as showing a big cost saving.

Thing is that the LRT has almost 0 local opposition, The Kitchener LRT has some, and the Hamilton LRT has a very weak form of opposition, but the Hurontario LRT seems to be almost universally supported. There are no groups in opposition, however minor. People seem perfectly fine with it.

Thing is that the LRT has almost 0 local opposition, The Kitchener LRT has some, and the Hamilton LRT has a very weak form of opposition, but the Hurontario LRT seems to be almost universally supported. There are no groups in opposition, however minor. People seem perfectly fine with it.

Interpreting lack of opposition as large public support is a mistake (imo)....I get the sense that outside of a small population of transit/urban enthusiasts there is more of a large amount of public indifference. If that is the sense Hudak and his team has then cancelling it may not lose them as many votes as one might think.

I think it's interesting how by cancelling suburban LRTs he plans to win suburban ridings...

Suburbans usually hates taxes and you know what they hate even more? Taxes to fund transit. His promises are populists and it remains to be seen if he can deliver. Suburbans usually love their cars and using the Ford formula to get the votes makes sense.

Note: I'm just analyzing his strategy.

My opinion:
-In a world with limited funds and if I knew 100% that he would keep his promise, I prefer his plan.
-In an ideal world, a toll on the DVP and Gardiner was what I always preferred. 905 drivers adding gridlock in our streets should pay to help expend our network. Those revenues could have help us build everything at the same time but he doesn't have the courage to propose that.

Maybe he just does not see that killing a Mississauga LRT would lose him much (any?) support there? Maybe, just maybe, that project is driven by politicians and not the populace (in his mind) and cancelling it can be seen as showing a big cost saving.

I don't think he would loose that many votes if any. Voters are mainly drivers who don't care about the LRT. Is there any data on where most people from that city go to work? I would say that most of them take the GO Train, GO Bus and MiWay to Toronto. That LRT is a great idea and I support it but how does it help reduce gridlock in the GTA? No doubt Mississauga LRT will amplify the growth on the corridor but there are more pressing needs elsewhere. With the Lakeshore line being every half an hour and less, any promise to make it even better like the NRS in London and the RER in Paris without a dedicated transit tax will be far more popular than an LRT with a dedicated tax and the GO buses trapped in traffic and overcrowded trains.

Voters are mainly drivers...

Who hate gridlock. And would prefer to take transit if they had the reasonable possibility of doing so.

This is a good start.. I was hoping to see Eglinton's undergound portion converted to subway and the surface portion cancelled until a decision to extend the line is made sometime in the future.

This is a great start though.. A bit too late unfortunately.

Voters are mainly drivers...

Who hate gridlock. And would prefer to take transit if they had the reasonable possibility of doing so.

I think those voters care much more about improving the GO network, expanding the subway, and building rapid transit like the BRT (getting them to work faster) than a Hurontario LRT (blocking their roads, would probably have to connect to one of the systems listed before anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back