News   Apr 29, 2024
 116     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 330     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.9K     6 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

There's this:

Female and/or transgender millennials and younger voting for the CPC will have leopards eat their faces:

I doubt there's any significant numbers of LGBTQ voting for the CPC.

Again, what is obvious here is that the majority of young people are so fed up with the current economic situation that they just don't care about any other issue, be that climate change, or LGBTQ rights...

What boggles my mind is that the LPC is not acting more concerned. They aren't just going to lose this generation for one election cycle. Highly likely that Poilievre will win 1-2 additional terms.

I'm alphabet mafia, and I really don't feel comfortable that the political winds won't blow the other way.

I wouldn't oversell PP getting a decade in power. Just like Doug ditched the PC party chances before Covid, things can go south quickly for a new government, especially once LPC has a new leader. Doug was saved by COVID. Kory Tenyke is the adult in the room advising Ford. I don't sense the same level of exhaustion with LPC as LPO after McGuinty and Wynne. Trudeau is done, but the Liberals can bounce back with the right leader.

Last edited:
The bribery scandal aside, he was actually a decent statesman that did get a few things done for the country. I think history will be kinder to him than the public was during his time in politics.
As is often the case. The word 'statesman' comes to mind. Something you don't see much of these days - anywhere.

I saw a Chretien quote in an article that likened the political atmosphere of the day as 'being like hockey. You fight like hell on the ice then go for a beer after'. Sadly, those days are being us.

RIP

Yeah. But that bench is looking weak right now. Who do they have is not tainted by bring too close to Trudeau but still has good enough French to do well in Québec?
Carney is buzzing around. I haven't heard his French. I'm sure it won't be Freeland.

As is often the case. The word 'statesman' comes to mind. Something you don't see much of these days - anywhere.

I saw a Chretien quote in an article that likened the political atmosphere of the day as 'being like hockey. You fight like hell on the ice then go for a beer after'. Sadly, those days are being us.

RIP

Chretien was the last Canadian politician that made me proud to be Canadian.

After him, it all went to hell.

Chretien was the last Canadian politician that made me proud to be Canadian.

After him, it all went to hell.
It's clear that the Federal government must re-assert Canada as a national project against the centrifugal forces occurring in this country.

Canada will absolutely not survive on the embers of the postwar nationbuilding project as a 'Postnational' state, in Trudeau's words.

Mulroney came across as a used car salesman and was never really liked by Canadians. His scandals were too many to mention but he was a leader and, although having good relations with Reagan & Thatcher, he was not afraid to take them on especially in regards to South Africa and environmental concerns. His endless attempts at reuniting the country thru Meech & Charlottetown was indicative of his love for Canada and he worked hard to guarantee our collective advancement. He was very much a "progressive" Conservative.

Mulroney was a statesman with a vision for nation and was well respected on the international stage and history will treat him well quite unlike how history will treat Justiin. Despite his many faults, I would vote for Mulroney in a heartbeat as opposed to the options we have today.

Nah history will treat Justin just fine once all the dullards who want to have sex with him are in the ground.
But also, of course Boomers are happy, they robbed subsequent generations of nearly everything to have the comfortable life they live now.

Nah history will treat Justin just fine once all the dullards who want to have sex with him are in the ground.

Very much debatable. He started with a ton of promise. But actual accomplishments that are enduring are kinda mixed. Climate policy probably going to be reversed. Not sure how much of the new social programs survive in their current forms. COVID management was a positive. But the immigration surge and all the problems that has created will have lingering effects that he'll be remembered for. Just look at the lack of productivity growth and half a decade of stagnant GDP per capita (now at 73% of the US and trending downward). He was handed a winning hand with low debt and a strong economy and he has played it rather poorly.

Canada's economy was in a recession in 2015, because of the oil crash. The unemployment rate was 7%, before Trudeau was elected. It is now 5.7%. I believe, when interest rates goes down, and the government FINALLY gets their green subsides off the ground, then economic growth will be strong.
The ball is in their court.

Canada's economy was in a recession in 2015, because of the oil crash. The unemployment rate was 7%, before Trudeau was elected. It is now 5.7%. I believe, when interest rates goes down, and the government FINALLY gets their green subsides off the ground, then economic growth will be strong.
The ball is in their court.

I don't think you're getting it. Unless he can magically make houses appear out of nowhere as if it were some kind of SimCity game, he's toast. A marginally better economy isn't going to sway anyone who can't afford to buy a house.

PP Housing plan is worse. A strong economy, plus major gains to both housing and the environment does go a long way. Hopefully the Gaza war is over by fall 2025 election.

But also, of course Boomers are happy, they robbed subsequent generations of nearly everything to have the comfortable life they live now.
Late-term Trudeau has a similar air to late-term Tory; PR-friendly managerial ‘centrism’ beset by intensifying crises, while leadership feels like it is absent or aspirationally demure in the face of these issues.

The difference is that I think Trudeau will see it through to the election, while Tory took an early exit stage left.

Back