News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I agree with you about the duration of retirement and the low CPP payout. I always say I'll retire when I'm dead because I love my work, I can do it while lounging on the couch, and I performed very well in the past through pneumonia, bronchitis, and post-surgery narcotic fumes, among other situations!

I am simply thinking of those who are not so privileged, and who don't need to be afflicted with a serious disease to be unemployable in their line of work. For example, at various points in his life, my husband was an infantry soldier, a Linotype operator, a trained radio announcer, and a computer store owner, but he lost those through prejudice (no gay soldiers in the US in the 1970s!), technology advancements, deafness, and industry consolidation, and in the end, with just a GED, he was a general labourer, required to be on his feet all day, which you cannot do with something as comparatively innocuous as plantar fasciitis. So he took his Social Security at age 62 (with a rather larger pension than someone with his income history would have in Canada). I am concerned that people who do not have a spouse or other supports would fall through the cracks and end up on social assistance, which has even lower benefits.

I share you sympathy, but I think the two ways I would address that would be sectorally bargained union agreements that allow for the unique conditions of certain types of jobs; along with proper disability pensions.

I should add, because there will always be people who fall through proverbial cracks that OW/ODSP ought to be a good deal more generous and less punitive on those willing and able to work part-time.

There is such a vast range of jobs, particularly physically demanding ones, and such a wide range of employment conditions/employer-employee relationships, it's difficult to create systems that serve everyone. People that are completely self-employed, such as farmers, bush workers, etc. might have difficulty doing it into old age (although the guy we leased our fields to did it deep into his 70s). I know several ex-infantry types who became physically broken at a fairly young age. At least with the military they can change trades and keep gainfully employed.

I don't know enough about private sector bargaining units whether they offer or sponsor some kind of retirement planning packages, group RSPs, etc.

I'm not sure that having a 10-year pension goal is all that workable in many sectors. Given that, statistically, I'm in my last decade, there's not many people who can handle police work, firefighting, EMS, nursing, etc. or many private sector jobs, into their 70s. True that I did a couple of post-retirement jobs but, depending on the job, some have maximum age limits (most commercial flying) or are limited by their insurance company.

There's only so many Walmart greeter jobs to go around.

Given that, statistically, I'm in my last decade, there's not many people who can handle police work, firefighting, EMS, nursing, etc. or many private sector jobs, into their 70s.

I expect to be invited to your 100th b-day if I'm still around, LOL.

Once in Paris, I did roll my eyes at a demonstration of unemployed people asking for vacation time (now, every year, they can take 5 weeks off from looking for a job and remain eligible to their benefits... which can last up to 3 years if you are 55+). I agree that a retirement age of 62 is unsustainable.
So they made law what is done here by practice? OW requires you looking for work, but doesn't require proof of it.

Commentary by UT alumni writer, Stefan Novakovic on the new Canadian passport design:

Sigh. I am getting so tired of this. Perhaps the most accurate statement is:

"Perhaps the government has taken a page out of corporate communications, hoping to offend nobody while saying nothing in particular."

Well of course government and corporations do this; because everyone is is instantly and publicly outraged at everything.

Not as bad as this one:

Sigh. I am getting so tired of this. Perhaps the most accurate statement is:

"Perhaps the government has taken a page out of corporate communications, hoping to offend nobody while saying nothing in particular."

Well of course government and corporations do this; because everyone is is instantly and publicly outraged at everything.

Not as bad as this one:

I tend to concur.

While Polievre's nonsense is hard to stomach, I found Stefan's writing on this to be of the same quality, that is, something likely to produce an adverse reaction, though I imagine the author is blissfully unaware of this.

Stefan is essentially the guy offended by everything and is therefore Polievre's foil.

For my part, however, let me say........I have never really cared about the 'art' on my passport, today will be the first day, and I rather hope the last, that I spare it a few seconds thought.

This country has real challenges: Homelessness/cost-of-housing, climate change, national debt levels, poverty/inequality, disaster preparedness/mitigation, excessive commute times, work/life balance, inadequate pensions, strained healthcare etc etc etc.

Nowhere on that list is passport art; or the colour of the carpet in the PMO.

Last edited:
Once in Paris, I did roll my eyes at a demonstration of unemployed people asking for vacation time (now, every year, they can take 5 weeks off from looking for a job and remain eligible to their benefits... which can last up to 3 years if you are 55+). I agree that a retirement age of 62 is unsustainable.
I'll be 62 in ten years. I may very well retire then... but mostly on my own dime.

As Stellantis halted construction on its massive Windsor battery factory, Premier Doug Ford warns Ottawa has to “step up” to match subsidies given to Volkswagen in St. Thomas.

The Star revealed Friday the federal government is renegotiating with Stellantis — parent company of Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat — because the company is threatening to relocate its new electric-vehicle facility to the U.S. unless it receives the same payouts VW received.

Speaking to reporters Monday in Mississauga, Ford expressed concern after a statement from Stellantis.
“Effective immediately, all construction related to the battery module production on the Windsor site has stopped,” the automaker said.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...-with-subsides-for-auto-giant-stellantis.html

While in the U.S., the Democratic Party is considered "left wing", and the Republication Party is considered "right wing", in the rest of the world, BOTH parties are considered "right wing". The Republicans are a more "far-right", while the Democrats are more "right of center", for most Canadians.

606788650.gif
from link.

Last edited:
Four federal by-elections were called on Sunday:

Notre-Dame-de-Grâce–Westmount (Quebec)
Oxford (Ontario)
Portage–Lisgar (Manitoba)
Winnipeg South Centre (Manitoba)

All appear to be, superficially, safe seats for the incumbent party (2 Lib, 2 Con)

But 2 might be worth a closer look.

In Oxford, in southern Ontario, the retiring Conservative MP has endorsed someone running to be the Liberal nominee. Hmmm. Some divisive stuff going on w/the Cons there, as an anti-abortion nominee was disqualified from running by the party and is not happy.

The race in Candice Bergen's old seat should be safe, she took it with 50% the last time out. But..... the second place finisher last time was the PPC at 22%

Bernier has said he's going to run here. The combination of loosing Bergen (an incumbent) and the PPC running its leader..... I still think the PCs would have this one, but if they get knocked below 40 and the left vote coalesced.......ya never know.

I don't see the Libs losing Westmount, if they do, the Libs are in dire trouble; they should also be safe in Carr's old seat I would think, though....I wonder how it will play that his son (Carr's) is running to replace him. (as a Lib)

Last edited:

Households now owe more than Canada's entire GDP, housing agency warns​

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/household-debt-gdp-1.6852027

"Canada's very high levels of household debt — the highest in the G7 — makes the economy vulnerable to any global economic crisis," he said. "When many households in an economy are heavily indebted, the situation can quickly deteriorate, such as what was witnessed in the U.S. in 2007 and 2008."
"By contrast, household debt in the U.S. fell from 100 per cent of GDP in 2008 to about 75 per cent in 2021," he said, adding that the ratio also dropped in places like the U.K. and Germany. "While U.S. households reduced debt, Canadians increased theirs and this will likely continue to increase unless we address affordability in the housing market."
The CMHC report noted that three quarters of Canadian household debt is tied to mortgages. The housing agency said that any desire to address a looming debt problem is closely linked to the country's housing market.

"As house prices increase in Canada, households take on debt leading to a rise in the total amount of debt in the economy," Aled ab Iorwerth said. "Longer term, reestablishing housing affordability in Canada will be key to reducing household debt if they want to become homeowners."

Our new indentured working class- lured here on a promise, and then exploited to keep wages low and eventually underpin our rental markets:

Our new indentured working class- lured here on a promise, and then exploited to keep wages low and eventually underpin our rental markets:

See this post by yours truly in the Mayoral Election thread on this point in some measure. Though my post was positioned more in respect of how the surge in foreign students here is being used to hyper-inflate the housing market; I fully concur its also be used to suppress wages, particularly in entry-level jobs.

They are flip sides of the same coin; and its both immoral and foolish; and serves neither the interests of said students, nor Canada and Canadians writ-large.

For further clarity, this is not an anti-foreign student thing at all; its about the sheer volume, the exorbitant tuition we charge them, and the permission we then provide them to work full-time, while supposedly studying full-time, that leads you to the conclusion this serves only the twin purposes of enriching chain-retail, sweat-shop factories, office cleaning and security guard firms; along with developers/housing investors; at the expense of said students and most Canadians.

Back