News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 931     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 600     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I imagine the next step will be the BoC swapping newly minted bailout cash for distressed mortgages like the U.S. Fed is already doing for their banks' toxic assets.

Americans are increasingly facilitating 40 yr mortgages:
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...40-year-mortgage-a-wise-choice-for-homebuyers

I don't think you'll see things getting better in Canada. The government has made a bet. They've bet that young people don't vote and that old people don't care about the young. And I don't think they are wrong.

Amusing but a bit unfair - NO politician for the last 35 years has wanted to approve a huge (and very necessary) rebuild or replacement for 24 Sussex. The only way to get a decision (any decision!) made on it is an arms-length person or body.

I'm curious. How long does a party have to be in office, before an issue actually becomes their responsibility?

Canada's economy added 35,000 jobs in March, about three times more than expected.

Statistics Canada reported Thursday that despite the surge in hiring, the jobless rate held steady at five per cent because more people were looking for work, too.

Economists polled by Bloomberg had been expecting the economy to add about 12,000 jobs during the month.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-jobs-march-1.6803421

I'm curious. How long does a party have to be in office, before an issue actually becomes their responsibility?

Maybe ask every Government since Diefenbaker why they didn't do something? It's a political bomb.

Diefenbaker charged Trudeau with “spending money like a drunken sailor” on 24 Sussex. The paper reported that between 1968 and 1975, renovations and repair bills added up to $300,000. Progressive Conservatives lambasted Trudeau for the “lavish use of public money.”

Last edited:
Maybe ask every Government since Diefenbaker why they didn't do something?

I will never understand why somebody runs for office, if they don't want to actually fix things and make a difference.

Also, "not my problem" is starting to wear thin for me, after 7.5 years in power, when they don't actually have any issues spending money on a myriad of priorities. They can cut cheque to seniors before an election, without years of study. But build a rail line? Takes years of study to launch a study to inform a procurement process to build something.

People grew tired of the nonsense excuses with the last government. I'm personally starting to get there with this one. And I've actually donated to these guys for past campaigns.

The Globe and Mail ran an article today on areas which ought to be prioritized for restoration to wilderness.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-global-biodiversity-framework-wilderness/ (behind the paywall)

From the above:

1680790493777.png

1680790546015.png

You'll note that southern Ontario is the largest high priority area in the country based on multiple criteria.

The underlying study is here:

I will never understand why somebody runs for office, if they don't want to actually fix things and make a difference.

Also, "not my problem" is starting to wear thin for me, after 7.5 years in power, when they don't actually have any issues spending money on a myriad of priorities. They can cut cheque to seniors before an election, without years of study. But build a rail line? Takes years of study to launch a study to inform a procurement process to build something.

People grew tired of the nonsense excuses with the last government. I'm personally starting to get there with this one. And I've actually donated to these guys for past campaigns.
I think people who run for office DO want to 'fix things' and make a difference. However, when they get into office it becomes clear(er) that it's complicated and there are other (powerful) voices/opinions and one needs to pick one's battles. This is not really helped by (most) opposition parties always thinking they MUST oppose everything proposed by the government. In the case of 24 Sussex there is (to me anyway) a sensible reluctance to being seen to spend money on 'my house'; this is the home (and entertaining space) for the PM of Canada - all Parties hope to occupy it one day and all parties ought to want to have it 'fixed up' but I can bet you anything that if Trudeau said "OK, go for it" - the Tories, at least, would immediately attack him for doing anything.

Power for the sake of itself. Also - for a certain segment of supporters - power to ensure that change or status quo remains because it is beneficial to them. It's true for political party of all stripes.

AoD

Well, the Ontario Conservatives are coming up on five years and I heard a talking head Minister blame something on the "previous Liberal government' just few weeks ago.
I think people who run for office DO want to 'fix things' and make a difference. However, when they get into office it becomes clear(er) that it's complicated and there are other (powerful) voices/opinions and one needs to pick one's battles. This is not really helped by (most) opposition parties always thinking they MUST oppose everything proposed by the government. In the case of 24 Sussex there is (to me anyway) a sensible reluctance to being seen to spend money on 'my house'; this is the home (and entertaining space) for the PM of Canada - all Parties hope to occupy it one day and all parties ought to want to have it 'fixed up' but I can bet you anything that if Trudeau said "OK, go for it" - the Tories, at least, would immediately attack him for doing anything.
Obviously, solving problems and/or making change is much harder than simply yelling about it, but I'm not so sure it's always a matter of "it's complicated" but more a matter of centralized control of the agenda. I imagine once you are elected MP/MPP/MLA/MNA it becomes clear fairly quickly that you don't have as much power as you thought and are expected to merely parrot what 'the centre' says.

...but I can bet you anything that if Trudeau said "OK, go for it" - the Tories, at least, would immediately attack him for doing anything.

I don't buy that this would be a very credible attack given that we're literally talking about a rat infested slum house.

But if Trudeau and the LPC were at all concerned about this, they can do exactly what they always do: defer to an arms length commission to manage the whole process. The National Capital Commission, PSPC or Parks Canada could handle it. Trudeau could also pledge to never live in it, and offer to get the other parties involved in the decision-making. Really though, it's simple, he doesn't want to spend an ounce of political capital on this. And that says a lot.

Power for the sake of itself. Also - for a certain segment of supporters - power to ensure that change or status quo remains because it is beneficial to them. It's true for political party of all stripes.

AoD

Well put. I do feel like there's a large contingent of Liberal supporters at this point, who care less about solving the issues they claim to care about (housing, climate, global standing, etc) than just about keeping the CPC out of office. How else to explain wracking up hundreds of billions in deficits (even setting aside COVID) but somehow thinking tens of millions on renovating 24 Sussex is the thing that would take down the government? Governance based on apparently avoiding one minor CPC attack.

Last edited:
I don't buy that this would be a very credible attack given that we're literally talking about a rat infested slum house.
The opposition aren't know for sticking to things that are credible.

PP relies on his base drinking the kool-aid from a firehose. It will be another "waste of taxpayers dollars", which they'll be sure to include that his father also did, while the Harper CPC government saved your money. The same mouth breathers who snap their own necks when articles come out about how much is spent on hotels or security for the PM when he travels will screech about it to no end across facebook.

As short ago as May of last year they were complaining about how much money was being spent so far, crowing that Canadian homeowners don't have the same "luxury".

In 2018 Erin O'Toole politicized it saying that he would only consider supporting renovations and repairs once Trudeau had repaid the costs of his trip to the Aga Khan's island home.

But if Trudeau and the LPC were at all concerned about this, they can do exactly what they always do: defer to an arms length commission to manage the whole process.
It's been managed by the NCC since 1988. Trudeau is on record saying what happens to it is up to them. But the government still needs to fund it.

Back