News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The *Right* thing from a perspective of law- whether or not citizenry believes it to be the *right* thing is another question. Heck, *righteousness* is subjective.

I think in this case, the Liberals were looking to rip the band-aid off while Trudeau was at the G2o meetings. The Conservatives are naturally looking to make it an issue, of course.

I think in this case, the Liberals were looking to rip the band-aid off while Trudeau was at the G2o meetings. The Conservatives are naturally looking to make it an issue, of course.

And of course, it's a Friday. They may very well have leaked it themselves given it can't stay secret forever.

AoD

The *right* thing is complicated, if it exist.

AoD

This one is pretty black and white. Our government steamrolled over his rights. I can't be bothered fussing over the timing of the payment. He undoubtedly deserves more, given that we allowed him to be tortured in Gitmo.

Arar.png

Attachments

• Arar.png
    Arar.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 354
This one is pretty black and white. Our government steamrolled over his rights. I can't be bothered fussing over the timing of the payment. He undoubtedly deserves more, given that we allowed him to be tortured in Gitmo.

The violation of rights is clear. But what I find myself dirty for saying is what's the monetary value for being tortured in a situation that one has a small but probably non-zero amount of responsibility in?

AoD

The violation of rights is clear. But what I find myself dirty for saying is what's the monetary value for being tortured in a situation that one has a small but probably non-zero amount of responsibility in?

AoD

I would think that if we should have tried to stop it, and didn't, then are our liability is clear.

We got off easy with this settlement. Financially and morally.

Last edited:
I would think that if we should have tried to stop it, and didn't, then are liability is clear.
We got off easy with this settlement. Financially and morally.

Probably. Somehow the resolution is unsatisfying in so many different ways. It will have to be the coda that it is.

AoD

Khadr campaigned against Harper, so he deserved some money.
And we couldn't go to court because it would become more obvious that the wrongdoing was from the Chretien government.
Thus, we get this settlement that makes both sides happy.

As usual, divorced from the facts.
What kind of "facts" can you dream up to counteract the truth.

Point 1. (campaigning against Harper)
May 2015
Dennis Edney, Omar Khadr’s lawyer, criticized Prime Minister Stephen Harper this afternoon after Alberta Court of Appeal Justice Myra Bielby turned down the federal government’s effort to keep the 28-year-old detained.
“Mr. Harper is a bigot. Mr. Harper doesn’t like Muslims,” Edney said following the decision.

Point 2. (charter violations occured under Liberals)
CBC News
In that case, the court dealt with the visit of CSIS and Foreign Affairs officials to the prison in 2003 and 2004, under the previous Liberal government.

"The deprivation of [Khadr's] right to liberty and security of the person is not in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice," the court ruled.

Point 3. Logical conclusion.

Seriously? I referred to the responsibility of the Chrétien government way back above (although the Harper government was equally to blame for the rights violations). My reference to your comments being divorced from the facts is because it's just your usual echo chamber insinuations - even your points above don't support your assertions that the payment was some sort of reward or distraction.

Every government of the last 15 years is responsible for this. Remember that a Harper appointed Supreme Court decided that Khadr's rights were violated.

Seriously? I referred to the responsibility of the Chrétien government way back above (although the Harper government was equally to blame for the rights violations).

That's your your opinion. The SCC only found violations in 2003 and 2004. Half that time, Harper was opposition MP, half the time he was leader of the opposition. Neither of those positions puts the blame on him.

Back