News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 599     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The move to restrict foreign students seems to be imminent; though its awfully late to implement for the 2024-2025 school year....

The Star has a leaked memo:

From the above:

View attachment 534208

I think the suggested rollback is too timid by at least 1/2.............BUT....

Not noted above, but mentioned in the article is the idea that their will be a province by province quota.

If said quota is even vaguely proportional to population, the cut in numbers will be notably larger in Ontario that what is suggested above. (good)

Canada's foreign student numbers are close to the US which has like 10 times the population! If something isn't done we are paving the path to more diploma mills.

The move to restrict foreign students seems to be imminent; though its awfully late to implement for the 2024-2025 school year....

The Star has a leaked memo:

From the above:

View attachment 534208

I think the suggested rollback is too timid by at least 1/2.............BUT....

Not noted above, but mentioned in the article is the idea that their will be a province by province quota.

If said quota is even vaguely proportional to population, the cut in numbers will be notably larger in Ontario that what is suggested above. (good)
I would suggest entirely cancelling student visas for college programs and reinstating the 25 h per week work cap while studying.

I would suggest entirely cancelling student visas for college programs and reinstating the 25 h per week work cap while studying.

Previously the cap, to my understanding was 20 hours.

Also, if you mean Community College, I think that's quite reasonable.

Though, the GTA Community Colleges who will lose tens of thousands of students..........will likely differ, LOL

Centennial - ~14000
Seneca - 10000+
George Brown - 9000+

But if you manage that, that is housing for 33,000 you just instantly created. Assuming existing numbers involve lots of crowding, I'd divide by 3 and assume 10,000 housing units.

Last edited:
Previously the cap, to my understanding was 20hours.

Also, if you mean Community College, I think that's quite reasonable.
Maybe 2 year minimum study programs, or Bachelor and above programs. I think Universities are getting in on the grift offering certificates, etc.

Maybe 2 year minimum study programs, or Bachelor and above programs. I think Universities are getting in on the grift offering certificates, etc.

Exactly. The universities were late to the party. But there's now lots of 1 yr post-grad diploma programs that are, shall we say, less than the full rigor you'd expect.

I would argue it's less the institutions that are the problem than the subject area. We aren't going to get the construction and healthcare workers we need, if we blanket ban college programs. Meanwhile we don't really need more BAs and BScs. If somebody wants to come here and learn how to be an electrician, I want them given a fast track to citizenship. Somebody coming here to do a BA in history? We don't really need them.

I would argue it's less the institutions that are the problem than the subject area. We aren't going to get the construction and healthcare workers we need, if we blanket ban college programs. Meanwhile we don't really need more BAs and BScs. If somebody wants to come here and learn how to be an electrician, I want them given a fast track to citizenship. Somebody coming here to do a BA in history? We don't really need them.
Maybe carve-outs for in-demand programs with staffing shortages?

I thought the issue with trades was a shortage of training capacity (apprenticeships, etc.) in addition to a shortage of interested applicants.

A different take on the immigration situation in Canada.

Paige has some legitimate points but really needs to cut his BS......

1) Canada does not have a small population. We're the 37th largest country in the world by population out of more than 175. Moreover, we're likely to be 34th within the next 12 months.

2) Canada already has the 10th largest economy on the planet.

3) Lots of countries with far smaller populations have way lower cell phone bills

Portugal, the Netherlands, and Latvia all have cell phone costs that are much lower than Canada's

4) As discussed ad nauseum here, the housing industry simply cannot build more housing than it has been and won't be able to for the medium term future. Zoning reform is fine, I support much of it; but only the naive would imagine it will radically alter housing supply. Which means demand is the side that is the issue.

5) He does have some point on the issue of certifying foreign credentials; however, Ontario has already moved that needle in most areas that aren't healthcare. In healthcare, the issue is a shortage of both practical assessments and of residency spots.

6) Finally, on balance population contraction (world wide) is a good thing; There is nothing good about more people everywhere. I have no problem with Canada taking on a somewhat larger share of the population, but this idea of simply looking at our land mass and assuming we should have more is nonsensical. Canadian's feed and supply energy to the world and we have a Boreal forest that does a great deal to mitigate air quality and climate change.

Plunk endless population growth on that, and you accelerate climate change and cause world food and energy shortages.

Paige really needs to be less click-bait'ish.

From Stephen Hoff at CBC:

1705934497443.png

1705934529761.png

Link via Twitter

Good, as far as it goes.

But shaving 35% off record-breaking approvals, particularly in light of the legitimate exemptions for renewing current permits, and for those seeking advanced degrees is insufficient. The impact will be greater in Ontario because of our disproportionate claim on foreign students, I will await the details to assess that further.

With the exemptions above, intact, I would have liked to see a cut on the order of 70%.

Globe and Mail article here:

The above indicates that the impact on Ontario will be a ~50% reduction in new permits.

Also notes the Libs are only committing to the current (proposed) framework for 2 years.

Numbers of interest:

Foreign Students in Canada in 2015 ~ 400,000
Foreign Students in Canada in 2023 ~ 1,028,000

I liked this quote for its 'duh' value, LOL

1705936637313.png

- TD Bank Group chief economist Beata Caranci

Oh, just read the press release, they snuck in something really good.

1705938479798.png

This will slash numbers in Ontario disproportionately, and good!

But the impact on university funding will be huge.

Oh, just read the press release, they snuck in something really good.

View attachment 534556

This will slash numbers in Ontario disproportionately, and good!

But the impact on university funding will be huge.

Thank god!

I remember years ago when you could get a study permit to learn English here. It was a hell of a loophole.

This is going to tank the number of applicants. I will say though, you will still see a fair sized number of people attending places like Fanshawe, Centennial, Seneca, etc to get study (and eventually work) permits.

Unless I am mistaken Seneca, Centennial, etc are all public colleges.

Thank god!

I remember years ago when you could get a study permit to learn English here. It was a hell of a loophole.

This is going to tank the number of applicants. I will say though, you will still see a fair sized number of people attending places like Fanshawe, Centennial, Seneca, etc to get study (and eventually work) permits.

Unless I am mistaken Seneca, Centennial, etc are all public colleges.

They are.

But note that spouses of students in those schools will no longer be eligible for work permits.

Further there's already been a move to cut permitted work hours for those students back to 20 hours per week.

Its not enough, but its a very positive step.

Back