News   Aug 09, 2024
 775     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.5K     2 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The Economist is calling us out.

IMG_2642.png
IMG_2644.png

Canada plans new temporary foreign workers program to give ‘trusted’ employers quicker access​

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...cle_2a22aef3-f196-50bc-8da7-29db86b9f0ff.html

“Today’s announcement is a prime example of one of the many ways the Government of Canada is working towards an even more prosperous economy by making it easier for employers to recruit the talent they need.”
Federal Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lawrence MacAulay said the new pilot will help secure Canada’s food supply chain.
“From Canada’s farm fields to our grocery stores, workers throughout the food supply chain provide an essential service,” he said. “It is vital that Canadian employers, including farmers and food processors, are able to hire workers who are critical to food production and food security in Canada.”

According to federal government data, the number of temporary foreign worker positions approved with an LMIA annually have skyrocketed from 89,416 in 2015 to 221,933 last year.
The number of foreign workers doesn’t include the hundreds of thousands of international students and graduates with open work permits, and those who arrive from more than two dozen countries that have shared mobility agreements with Canada.

:rolleyes:

Of course, the licencensing of doctors and nurses is a PROVINCIAL responsibility so I am not quite sure what Mr P can do to speed it up. Physicians in Ontario were given the right to decide who could practice in the 1840s (after years of pressure), I am not sure they will allow any government to take it away from them. (It was about 30 years earlier in Quebec.)

Of course, the licencensing of doctors and nurses is a PROVINCIAL responsibility so I am not quite sure what Mr P can do to speed it up. Physicians in Ontario were given the right to decide who could practice in the 1840s (after years of pressure), I am not sure they will allow any government to take it away from them. (It was about 30 years earlier in Quebec.)
So-called 'national standards' in areas of provincial responsibility sounds really cool - sounds like leadership - but it is a mine field. Quebec will never accept qualifications that aren't in French and Alberta, well, just cuz.

So-called 'national standards' in areas of provincial responsibility sounds really cool - sounds like leadership - but it is a mine field.

I can't see the tweet, so I'm not clear on any details here; but there already lots of precedents for provinces recognizing licenses/credentials across provincial borders, including Quebec.

So the level of recognition granted varies widely across provinces and professions.

Quebec will never accept qualifications that aren't in French and Alberta, well, just cuz.

In reverse order, Alberta under Jason Kenny, for all the dumb things he did was a leader in elimination inter-provincial, non-tariff barriers to trade and labour mobility. He reasoned that Alberta would stand to benefit from greater access to goods, services and people. I haven't seen any indication of this being reversed. But, that decision was taken provincially, not by federal fiat.

I don't believe Quebec really cares about whether one's credentials are in French; they may care about whether you can speak the language though; and that isn't entirely unreasonable in a province that largely functions in French.

I think there's room to move the needle on a 'Common Canadian Market'; but its something the provinces will need to lead on; and Ottawa will likely need to offer at least some incentives (though it shouldn't have to)

I for one, don't understand why the LCBO doesn't stock a full compliment of BC VQA wine.

I don't see that a necessarily injuring Ontario producers, if delistings are required to make space, it can some at the expense of some of the lackluster product we bring in from the Aussies.

Meanwhile, it might get better access to the retail shelf for Ontario wine, out west.

Last edited:
The Ontario government has removed the interprovincial personal exemption limits on beverage alcohol – this is the amount of beer, wine and spirits that an individual can bring into Ontario on their person from another province or territory for personal use. Ontario’s former personal exemption limits permitted individuals of legal drinking age to bring on their person up to 9 litres of wine, 3 litres of spirits and 24.6 litres of beer into Ontario from other provinces and territories for personal consumption. These limits are now being removed.

Ontario’s personal exemption limits on beverage alcohol were removed on October 28, 2019. As long as it is for personal consumption and not for re-sale or commercial use

Two points.

First, the feds can design any system they want. The provinces can accept or reject. What he is suggesting (creating a federal Blue Seal system) isn't incompatible with this idea. Which provinces accept the Blue Seal is another matter. Though the feds could get coercive and make other funding conditional on accepting Blue Seal.

Next, elections are about ideas, not precise policy. The idea that he's advocating for immigrants to get better access to the job market is very powerful. Especially, if the LPC was going to design a campaign around how the CPC wants to target immigration.

His joke isn't entirely wrong. Few months back, I had a material physicist for an Uber driver. I tangentially know the field. So I ended up having a good discussion with him. But these are the kind of people whose relatives will vote for any offer to improve access to the job market for them.

Two points.

First, the feds can design any system they want. The provinces can accept or reject. What he is suggesting (creating a federal Blue Seal system) isn't incompatible with this idea. Which provinces accept the Blue Seal is another matter. Though the feds could get coercive and make other funding conditional on accepting Blue Seal.

Next, elections are about ideas, not precise policy. The idea that he's advocating for immigrants to get better access to the job market is very powerful. Especially, if the LPC was going to design a campaign around how the CPC wants to target immigration.

His joke isn't entirely wrong. Few months back, I had a material physicist for an Uber driver. I tangentially know the field. So I ended up having a good discussion with him. But these are the kind of people whose relatives will vote for any offer to improve access to the job market for them.
As a post-retirement part-time gig I did background investigations for a provincially-regulated industry sector. I lost track of how many foreign-born doctors, engineers and other professionals were applying for what were essentially fairly menial jobs. I also have two Canadian-born relatives who received their medical training off-shore and had to jump through a lot of hoops to get certified to practice in Ontario. These had nothing to do with federal policies but provincial regulatory bodies guarding their turf. Certainly at the professional level (medical, engineering, etc.) it shouldn't be that hard too develop a list of acceptable institutions. There's a difference between Harvard and U. Uzbekistan.

We also have a friend (military spouse posted to Quebec) who is a veterinarian. She was unable to be employed in her field unless she could pass a French-only certification exam. I get the 'Quebec reality' but it is still a barrier to employment mobility.

As a post-retirement part-time gig I did background investigations for a provincially-regulated industry sector. I lost track of how many foreign-born doctors, engineers and other professionals were applying for what were essentially fairly menial jobs. I also have two Canadian-born relatives who received their medical training off-shore and had to jump through a lot of hoops to get certified to practice in Ontario. These had nothing to do with federal policies but provincial regulatory bodies guarding their turf. Certainly at the professional level (medical, engineering, etc.) it shouldn't be that hard too develop a list of acceptable institutions. There's a difference between Harvard and U. Uzbekistan.

We also have a friend (military spouse posted to Quebec) who is a veterinarian. She was unable to be employed in her field unless she could pass a French-only certification exam. I get the 'Quebec reality' but it is still a barrier to employment mobility.
Absolutely, I do not know much about 'professional registration' in general but for physicians it is totally under the control of existing physicians in all Provinces. "Originally", medical registration was granted by the Governor but the docs fought hard to gain control and got it in the early 19th century. Of course, there should be proper licencing but, as you say, there is a difference between Harvard and Univ. Uzbekistan and there certainly should be AUTOMATIC reciprocal licencing among all Provinces and between countries which have a similar medical education system. (In fact, in the early days, all doctors who had graduated from a British medical school could be licenced and practice in Upper and Lower Canada with nothing except $$.)

Back