1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 411     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

The carbon tax that is less in other provinces
The carbon tax that does not tax hydro in the East Coast
The Carbon tax that emits many big polluters

That carbon tax?

I rather have emission caps or an end to sprawl and similar ideas as that actually do something for the environment around me locally then some tax I can't really see the impact of.

Have you seen a clear proposal from the Federal Conservatives in line w/what you would support?

All indications are that emissions caps, which I completely understand the appeal of, will lead to greater job loss in the near term, as companies lack a mechanism to buy time as they have under cap and trade; or the flexibility of choice under a carbon tax.

I can get behind emissions caps, but I understand why politicians might be wary of them.

Personally, I don't put much value into a tax scheme that reduces emissions by like a few % over a decade or so and that is fundamentally a very regressive tax. Yes, you get the money back but in BC it's not carbon neutral anymore, so I doubt it will be long term and will be just another govt cash cow than some 'save the environment' scheme.

I assume you mean 'revenue neutral' in the case of the BC scheme; it certainly was not meant to be carbon-neutral!

Also, so long as it IS revenue neutral, and gives back the $ to every Canadian equally, its actually progressive.

For the simple reason rich people consume more, and therefore would expect to pay more carbon tax; but they will receive the same refund as someone of modest income. That, on average, is progressive.

Whether it would remain that way is an entirely different question; but falls into the realm of speculation.

I don't think the current regime in Ottawa has been particularly brilliant.

Be that as it may, they and the NDP and the Greens are all better choices than the Scheer-led Conservatives.

Not that that is a particularly high bar.
The CPC had the choice for a leader like Trudeau - all flash and charisma, or someone like Scheer - bland and non-inspirational, but non-controversial, firmly in the middle of the political spectrum, and an all around nice guy.
We need to admit to ourselves that Harper was one of those once-in-a-lifetime great leaders that we will not replicate for a while.

Last edited:
The CPC had the choice for a leader like Trudeau - all flash and charisma, or someone like Scheer - bland and non-inspirational, but non-controversial, firmly in the middle of the political spectrum, and an all around nice guy.
We need to admit to ourselves that Harper was one of those once-in-a-lifetime great leaders that we will replicate for a while.

Since almost none of what is above happens to be true, I will decline your offer to admit to most of it.

Scheer is not the middle of the political spectrum.

Harper was not a good leader.

I will happily concede that Trudeau the younger has been light on substance.

Have you seen a clear proposal from the Federal Conservatives in line w/what you would support?
The Liberals don't have much of an environment plan either, it's all about taxes. If we look at past behaviour (instead of promises):
Chretien signed Kyoto and increased GHG emissions.
Harper got out of Kyoto, and decreased GGH emissions.
Harper proposed GHG reduction targets but he was kicked out before they could be enacted.
Trudeau ridiculed the Harper targets as not being adequate, and then adopted them.
Trudeau signed Paris agreement and in 3 years, GHG's are up.

I don't think anyone can the Liberals are better on this issue, and most will say they are worse. What is inarguable is that the Liberals are massive hypocrites on the issue.

We need to admit to ourselves that Harper was one of those once-in-a-lifetime great leaders that we will replicate for a while.

Bernier would have sunk the party's chances like a lead balloon. Poor communicator, too bombastic, not a team player, and panders to fringe causes way too much. The CPC members made the right decision ultimately going with a run-of-the-mill, boring but dependable guy like Scheer. People are only still rooting for Bernier to act as a spoiler for the CPC in eastern Quebec.

And all the good having a flashy, charismatic leader has done for the Liberals. NDP also emulated this trope and look where it's getting them, poised to lose at least a dozen seats.

I think Libearls are gonna lose a lot of votes over the carbon tax here in the 905.
I think many are more informed on the subject than yourself, to be perfectly blunt. Many *rational* Conservatives admit to the need for the Carbon Tax, as do the majority of Conservative voters, informed or otherwise:

Majority of Conservatives favour pollution pricing: poll

Ontarians don't support Doug Ford's anti-carbon tax campaign ...

More Canadians now support a carbon tax than oppose it: poll - iPolitics

I think many are more informed on the subject than yourself, to be perfectly blunt. Many *rational* Conservatives admit to the need for the Carbon Tax, as do the majority of Conservative voters, informed or otherwise:

Do we really want to go down this slippery slope of public opinion polls?...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/soari...canadians-heading-into-long-weekend-1.4427351

On Friday, [May 17, 2019] Angus Reid Institute released results of its latest survey, suggesting more than 40 per cent of Canadians said the hikes in gas prices have made it difficult to afford basic home necessities. This jumps to 86 per cent among those struggling to afford gas, the survey noted.

The poll results also reveal nearly 70 per cent of drivers have noticed a “major increase” at the pumps.

In B.C., a whopping 90 per cent of drivers reported a “major increase” in prices
, compared to 46 per cent in Alberta who said they had noticed a “major increase.”

B.C. residents have been paying the most at the pumps, with the provincial average for the cost of gas is sitting at $1.58 cents per litre, compared to the national average of $1.26 per litre, according to the Canadian Automobile Association.

The average price of gasoline in major Canadian markets last week was about $1.34 per litre, but it varied from around $1.23 in Calgary and Winnipeg to the high of $1.70 or more in Vancouver.

“Vancouver certainly is (at historic highs) but the other major markets we're looking at, such as Calgary, Toronto, Halifax, Montreal, they're not exceeding historical levels, they're basically at historic levels,” Michael Ervin, senior vice-president at the Kent Group Ltd, said earlier this week.

Remember BC has had a carbon tax in place for years and here in current day they're clearly not happy with it. This is less than 6 months before the election. All the major metropolitan areas which will decide the election are up in arms about increasing gas prices (and likewise the increase to consumer goods pricing due to the cost of producing, transporting and maintaining goods going up) all due to the Trudeau Liberal's carbon pricing.

The Liberals at this point stand to lose far more over the SNC-Lavalin bungle than on any other issue. They've actually managed a pretty steady ship, considering some of the weather, but Captain Blie (sic) has turned out to be a lecher and a thug. And anyone thinking Scheer would be any better had best slash their other arm too.

This election is for Trudeau to lose, not anyone else to win. And on that note, it's Wynne and lose all over again. The only hope for the Libs is for a mutiny. Good luck on that.

I think you forget that opposition against the carbon tax is much stronger than support for the carbon tax in terms of intensity...

People who are against a carbon tax will vote against it.

People who are in favour of carbon taxes won't really vote for it as their top issue.

That's the reason why carbon taxes is such a hurtful issue for the liberals.

Like I will vote in the next federal election, many of my friends who the main issue is pot likely won't vote at all this election.

I think you forget that opposition against the carbon tax is much stronger than support for the carbon tax in terms of intensity...

People who are against a carbon tax will vote against it.

People who are in favour of carbon taxes won't really vote for it as their top issue.
?
You're talking in circles...

Here's what you wrote:
I think Libearls are gonna lose a lot of votes over the carbon tax here in the 905.

I am more worried about that over time will become a cash cow for the government and a way to jack up taxes on people to pay for poor fiscal management.

The Conservatives are far more likely to screw you over and make your overtime pay regular pay.

But you do you.

?
You're talking in circles...

Here's what you wrote:

That is the point, the liberals are already gonna lose a ton of votes as a lot of votes

due to first-time voters not voting as much
young people not voting as much
immigrant communities not as crazy about Trudeau
Conservatives who vote liberal switching back to the tories

My point i the carbon tax won't really light a fire in the progressive base to turn out but it will 100% in conservative circles.

Back