News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I understand that, but where is the section related to a sanctioning person or body? The section of the Parliament of Canada Act outlines the statutory procedure, but I can find no section that creates an offence or provides a penalty (that Act has a couple but they relate to specific sections). Legislation has to create an offence to initiate a judicial or even quasi-judicial proceeding (they are usually worded as 'anyone who contravenes Section x . . . is guilty of . . . ). It could well be buried in a federal statutory procedures act; IDK.
To the best of my knowledge, the Ethics Commissioner made findings of violation. Apologies were offered but I don't know if they were ordered. At least that legislation (Conflict of Interest Act) has a 'complaint process', a person to whom a complaint would be directed and contains a number of offence sections and a range of administrative and monetary penalties for some offences.
I suppose at the time they figured the shame of violating Federal legislation was punishment enough.
These Liberals have so many ways of being corrupt, the next government will have to spend a fair bit of time solving these issues that every government before seemed to have no trouble with.

I suppose at the time they figured the shame of violating Federal legislation was punishment enough.
These Liberals have so many ways of being corrupt, the next government will have to spend a fair bit of time solving these issues that every government before seemed to have no trouble with.

Many rules and legislation dealing with parliamentary procedure, especially those that involve overrsight by the Speaker or an parliamentary officer, lack teeth, they collectively want it that way. It is interesting to note that this particular area of the Act was added by the previous government and championed by Michael Chong.

I try to look at issues such as this in an non-partisan way. To me, they're all the same; same horse, different hats.

True or not, slightly disconcerting seeing bloc voting along ethnic lines- would reports be influenced by politicians fearing the electoral results?

Terror report could trigger seismic shift in Sikh political leanings, impact next election
A December Public Safety Canada report contained, for the first time, a small section on the alleged threat of Sikh extremism. Liberal MPs face blacklisting as a result
But barring a significant change of tune by the federal government over the next week, this year’s edition will impose an unprecedented policy. Unless certain demands are met, Liberal MPs will be barred from speaking from its stages on April 20, says organizer Moninder Singh.
The threatened ban was over an issue causing growing consternation in the Sikh community: an annual Public Safety Canada report on terrorism that for the first time this December contained a small section on the alleged threat of Sikh extremism.
At stake are nine Sikh-dominated ridings – in the Toronto-area suburbs, Calgary and lower-mainland B.C. — all of which went Liberal in the 2015 election, many flipping from the Conservatives.

Another eight, mostly Liberal seats across the country could be decided by the Sikh vote if the races are “competitive,” says Jaskaran Singh Sandhu, executive director of the World Sikh Organization (WSO), while 18 more are susceptible to Sikh influence if particularly close.

“Nine seats make or break their (Liberal) majority,” said Sandhu. “Sikhs can decide that.”
And more Khalsa Day parades and gurdwaras — Sikh temples — are considering bans of their own on Liberal politicians speaking if the report is not changed, said B.C.’s Singh.
No one can question, though, that the Sikh community has some considerable political weight to throw around.

Recent elections have produced 18 Sikh MPs, including four cabinet ministers and a party leader. All from a minority community of 500,000 — barely one per cent of Canada’s population.
That out-sized activism and clout stems partly from Sikh Canadians’ concentration in a relatively few ridings. But there may be another, more philosophical explanation, too. The religion melds the spiritual and secular in a way that encourages political service as an extension of the community-giving expected of followers, argues Sandhu.
Whatever their reasons for getting involved, Sikhs have traditionally voted Liberal, the party they see as generally more friendly to immigrants and immigration, said Singh, though he adds they are becoming more discriminating. Purewal says the wave of Sikh support for Liberals in 2015 was largely a reaction to the Conservatives’ legislation stripping citizenship from dual citizens convicted of terrorism.

Yeah I confirm that there has been a lot of blowback to the Liberals in the Sikh Community.

The only community Trudeau has like universal praise from is the muslim community.

Is that in the story? (behind paywall). I heard the exact opposite - that they JWR and JP are from the left side of the Liberal Party (aren't they all with this group of Liberals), and CPC didn't even bother to try to get them.

Not long after the SNC stuff broke, the CPC was all on on JWR. They went as far as buying up a URL dedicated to letting her speak.

I think that with the CPC lean of Philpott's riding, she could have been courted.

Last edited:
Equity, not equality from the Liberals results in quotas being filled, rather than candidates being judged for their merit in the realm where merit matters most.

Again, the military gets dragged into a political realm it shouldn't need to be dragged into- will this also impact the manner in which personnel get promoted? I also wonder if this is linked to recent recruitment shortages that the military is facing?

Marked 'EE,' these are the Canadian Forces jobs where only women need apply
One document shows spots in 17 jobs were designated EE, meaning employment equity, and were 'accepting applications from females only'
Depending on the week and whether employment equity (or EE) targets are being met, the Canadian Forces periodically closes some of its approximately 100 occupations or trades to any applicants but women.
Tattersall acknowledged, however, that “diversity is a consideration” – a significant one, especially near the end of the recruiting year when she said “We will look at diversity applicants first” – and that what the sheets indicate about Indigenous applicants is correct.

The sheets say that Indigenous candidates either are “not required to write” or “must write but don’t need to pass” the CFAT, the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test.

But Tattersall said that exemption applied only to a small number of Indigenous candidates from the far north.
The CFAT – which has been frequently tested for bias and found to have none — as well as a personality traits test results in a score which is then used on a Priority Control Line by recruiters.

The PCL used to be what determined how applicants were prioritized, but now, as the sheets say, “PCL does not apply to EE applicants.”

Though on the sheets the terms are used in a confused fashion, in the military, Tattersall said, EE includes visible minorities, Indigenous people and women.

What used to happen is that those who scored high on the CFAT and had certain traits (which indicate that they tend to perform well in the military) would be processed.
But since late 2017 and early 2018, when the CF formally responded to a parliamentary report on recruitment, the military has increasingly focused on diversifying its work force.

The goal, as the CF said in its response last April, is that by 2026, “women will make up 25%” of the CF population.

Since April of 2016, the percentage of women in both the regular and reserve forces has gone from 14.9% to 15.4% in February of 2018.

Similarly, the military aims to see Indigenous representation reach 3.5% and that of visible minorities at 11.8%.

As of early last year, Indigenous people represented 2.7% of the CF population, while visible minorities made up 8.1%.
In its desire to achieve EE targets, the source said, the military has built a two-tiered system – “one tier for white men and the other for women and visible minorities. It’s a very different affair for some applicants than for others.”

Particularly grating, the source said, is that “While the (recruiting group) has made no secret of their goals, they have not been honest about their methods.”

Interesting comments from Reddit on some awful side-effects:
It sucks for a lot of the newest round of Female Commanding Officers. The ones from a decade ago were 100% deserving of the promotion and appointment to Commanding Officer. Now, the dumbest of the dumb women get the job, and drag down the reputation of GOOD female Commanding Officers with them. The troops see it day in and day out. It's quite toxic to respect and causes some blatant subordination within the CAF that I've seen.
I was talking to an infantryman about indigenous persons in the military and he basically stated that, because the standards are laughably low, the rate of retention is essentially commensurate.
The result? Racism against indigenous servicemen
, because they're seen as useless, because people who have no right being in the army get in the door and when they're found out in droves to be inevitably unfit, people start to come to certain conclusions. He cited a number around 3% retention: whether that's true or not I'm not certain, but I also had no reason to doubt him.
It means people get into the CAF, float along and never become trade qualified, or "valuable".

The military is a weird employer. They hire you, and then spend 1-3 years training you before you ever get to do your job.....So at $60,000/year, the first 2 years are a loss, and then you really only get value out of the person AFTER they become qualified/contribute and have a job to do.

The issue I'm seeing more and more of, is that new recruits (who shouldn't have passed basic, and who don't belong in the military) 'float' through the system and just sort of take up space and exist. They've been in a 1 year training position for 2-4 years, and kicked from unit to unit because they are an administrative nightmare. With the latest policies of "period of retention" after the military fires you, it's quite probable that you can join the military, be in for 3-6 years, and never actually do the job you've been hired for, and effectively contribute no value.

Last edited:
Scheer is making a big stink about the upcoming Supreme Court vacancy. Does he remember when Harper stacked the court and his hand picked justices sided against him 42 times? This isn't the US court, which is openly partisan.

Interesting that Trudeau has still not started his defamation case after threatening Scheer with it- did he blink? Or is it yet to come?

Again, the military gets dragged into a political realm it shouldn't need to be dragged into- will this also impact the manner in which personnel get promoted? I also wonder if this is linked to recent recruitment shortages that the military is facing?

Am military. Our recruiting shortages have nothing to do with this political nonsense (though that impacts people who are already in and isn’t well captured in that article). And everything to do with the end of Afghanistan. Nobody wants to join when it’s not “exciting”. Add to this, the decisions made in the 90s to close all our urban bases and retain the ones in rural shitholes. The Air Force is particularly bad, with new aircrew trained in Moose Jaw, and our largest fighter base and home of all the test pilots in .... Cold Lake, Alberta. This is biting them in the ass as more and more of our national population gets concentrated in a handful of large metros. We’re already at the point where 50% of Canadians live in just 6 large metros (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto).

Try convincing a talented 20 year old from Toronto that they should join the military only to spend years of their 20s sitting in Shilo or Cold Lake. All for no real action and excitement. Heck, I need approval from an associate deputy minister just to attend a NATO conference overseas. That’s how ridiculous the bureaucracy and stinginess is these days. I don’t blame talented young people for choosing tech over military or public service.

Back