News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 387     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

GM also closed plants in Maryland, Michigan and Ohio. He's not prime ministering those jurisdictions. Everybody seems to missing that part.

Agreed. The backlash against Trudeau will be softened by the closures south of the border. Trump will take a bigger hit, imo.

I was a big fan of Trudeau's, but the shine is wearing off. He writes off $1.15 billion in loans to the auto sector, followed by GM's announcement today to abandon manufacturing in Oshawa. He buys the Trans Mountain pipeline between Alberta and British Columbia for $4.5 billion, but has no plan to twin the pipeline to help get Canada's oil to global markets, as opposed to a forced discount to one customer, the USA (the sole justification of the purchase). That's nearly $6 billion blown on two files alone.

He negotiated on NAFTA, bringing no advantages to Canada, giving only concessions to the USA. Yes, Trump is a bear to negotiate with, but why has Canada painted itself into a corner. Hate them or hate them, but Harper, Chrétien or Mulroney would have done a better job on that file, I am certain.

Trudeau has 0 experience in business or even negotiation. I too feel like the shine is wearing off as well.

Trudeau has 0 experience in business or even negotiation. I too feel like the shine is wearing off as well.
Trudeau and Freeland, with their BA in Arts and Russian Studies (Freeland also has a Masters in Slavic Studies) up against Businessman Trump and Lawyer Lighthizer.
Canadians thought it was a good idea to put this guy in charge and must now pay the consequences.

He negotiated on NAFTA, bringing no advantages to Canada, giving only concessions to the USA.
To be fair to Trudeau, I would guess that energy cost played a larger role in this. Essentially the left over effects of voting for Dalton McGuinty in 2007.
Sure Trudeau's inability to make taxation competitive, and his terrible NAFTA negotiations didn't help - but they were likely just final nails in the coffin, and not the main reason.
Hate them or hate them, but Harper, Chrétien or Mulroney would have done a better job on that file, I am certain.
Strange that Canadians hate the people who we know would do a better job, and like the people that are incompetent. No wonder things don't work out well.

Pretty unclear how this is a big revelation for you. Most politicians don't have any business experience. ALL of them rely on advisors.
I hate dick accusations like this, he never said it was a revelation to him. You're just peacocking to cut him down.

Many political leaders have experience in business, including the law. Martin ran CCSL, and the others would have strong negotiation skills. Martin, with his history of dithering wouldn't be my top pick, but Chretien, Harper or Mulroney would have come away better than our school teacher PM.

To be fair to Trudeau, I would guess that energy cost played a larger role in this. Essentially the left over effects of voting for Dalton McGuinty in 2007.
Sure Trudeau's inability to make taxation competitive, and his terrible NAFTA negotiations didn't help - but they were likely just final nails in the coffin, and not the main reason.

Strange that Canadians hate the people who we know would do a better job, and like the people that are incompetent. No wonder things don't work out well.

Its not like the Conservatives are even going to offer up anyone with better experience. What had Scheer done in his career that would make it looks like he could run an economy either? Nothing!

GM also closed plants in Maryland, Michigan and Ohio. He's not prime ministering those jurisdictions. Everybody seems to missing that part.

GM is reinventing itself. Its cutting 15% of its salaried workers and shutting 5 plants in North America
The four American plants employ a combined 3,800 hourly and salaried staff. The Detroit-Hamtramck facility is GM's last in the city, and the Lordstown plant in Ohio was one of its biggest.
The usual ratio of USA to Canada is 9:1. The ratio of job losses is 3:2. For whatever reason, USA fared much better than Canada.

Its not like the Conservatives are even going to offer up anyone with better experience. What had Scheer done in his career that would make it looks like he could run an economy either? Nothing!
You may be right. So our choices are between two light weights, one proven to be unsuccessful. The other may be worse. Crappy choices all round.

But we had a choice in 2016. I think Harper would have been the better pick in these Trumpian times. Trudeau would be more suitable when Obama was president. But Canada is being economically attacked, and we need a fighter in our corner.

But we had a choice in 2016. I think Harper would have been the better pick in these Trumpian times. Trudeau would be more suitable when Obama was president. But Canada is being economically attacked, and we need a fighter in our corner.
2015*. US election occurred in 2016.

In all fairness to the Canadian electorate, Trump wasn't in the picture when we elected Trudeau.

Pretty unclear how this is a big revelation for you. Most politicians don't have any business experience. ALL of them rely on advisors.

No shit. But you need to have the aptitude to surround yourself with the right people. Trudeau is a "heal the world" kind of guy. Trump is a piece of dung but he at least has business experience and it has worked for him thus far. He surrounded himself with bulldogs.

Huh?

I'm not the biggest fan of Prime Minister Selfie. That said, I detest complete and utter misrepresentations of facts far more.

Canada's effective Corporate Tax rates are among the very lowest in the world.

Yes, I'm including the provincial numbers.

Where do you get this stuff?

https://taxfoundation.org/cbo-report-compares-us-corporate-tax-g20/

That's last year, and before we made the changes in the fall economic statement.

Or try the OECD analysis here, which is interesting in that it varies by sector, and by interest rates (which affect the value of amortization rules)

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/taxation/corporate-effective-tax-rates_a07f9958-en#page1

Criticize the PM all you like, but Canada's corporate tax rates are plenty competitive and I would strongly argue the 'enhancement' to that in the Fall Economic Statement was entirely unnecessary.

Anyone who thinks that Andy Doody can stand up to the US is kidding themselves.
Who's that? All the Andy Doodys I see online look like competent folks.

Is this some kind of slag against Andrew Scheer? Using other people's legitimate names doesn't seem to cut it as an insult. It's akin to called the PM Jason Trudeau.

Back