News   Aug 14, 2024
 30     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 547     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

There are real differences in 'tolerance'; or better still acceptance and inclusiveness in this country than the one south of our border.

The difference is not strictly about immigration. There is clearly more 'racial' tension between 'black' and 'white' folks, the vast majority of whom, in the American context are not immigrants, in the first or second generation sense.

Lots of racial or ethnic tensions in Canada historically and now weren't related to immigrants either. Political issues involving Aboriginal people as well as the French-English divide were and are about native-born people living in Canada. Long-standing Black Canadian communities who were not composed of immigrants (eg. in Nova Scotia) also faced long-standing problems while integrating into Canadian society and still do.

Any political tensions related to immigrants (in either country or more generally) just become yet another layer of tension in addition to the pre-existing ones, to some people. If someone is going to be racist, often times they'd be that way to the native and foreign born alike, an individual saying "I was born here, I'm not an immigrant" doesn't often stop them from being targets of xenophobia.

Thus, acceptance and inclusiveness covers both acceptance of "difference" regardless of if it's different native-born groups or immigrant groups.

Last edited:
Lots of racial or ethnic tensions in Canada historically and now weren't related to immigrants either. Political issues involving Aboriginal people as well as the French-English divide were and are about native-born people living in Canada. Long-standing Black Canadian communities who were not composed of immigrants (eg. in Nova Scotia) also faced long-standing problems while integrating into Canadian society and still do.

Any political tensions related to immigrants (in either country or more generally) just become yet another layer of tension in addition to the pre-existing ones, to some people. If someone is going to be racist, often times they'd be that way to the native and foreign born alike, an individual saying "I was born here, I'm not an immigrant" doesn't often stop them from being targets of xenophobia.

Thus, acceptance and inclusiveness covers both acceptance of "difference" regardless of if it's different native-born groups or immigrant groups.

I'm not sure where your going w/this post.

Mine was in response to Keithz and began by suggesting Canadians should be neither smug nor self-satisfied.

I went on to point out, quite accurately, however, that Canada is a more inclusive and accepting place.(vis a vis the United States)

That is not to say we have not, as a nation, had our share of historical and contemporary mis-steps and mis-deeds.

It was simply to say, in scope and scale, in current times, we are far better off in this respect.

Much distance remains to be traveled, that doesn't take away from where we find ourselves, today.

If you have traveled all in the U.S. the difference is quite stark.

I'm not sure where your going w/this post.

Mine was in response to Keithz and began by suggesting Canadians should be neither smug nor self-satisfied.

I went on to point out, quite accurately, however, that Canada is a more inclusive and accepting place.(vis a vis the United States)

That is not to say we have not, as a nation, had our share of historical and contemporary mis-steps and mis-deeds.

It was simply to say, in scope and scale, in current times, we are far better off in this respect.

Much distance remains to be traveled, that doesn't take away from where we find ourselves, today.

If you have traveled all in the U.S. the difference is quite stark.
Would you say Quebec is more inclusive and accepting than the US? I wouldn’t, since the basis of Québécois identity is embattled ethnic nationalism. I’d suggest that for the shop-worn purpose of asserting Canuck moral superiority over those vulgar Yanks, our country doesn’t include Quebec.

Last edited:
Would you say Quebec is more inclusive and accepting than the US? I wouldn’t, since the basis of Québécois identity is embattled ethnic nationalism. I’d suggest that for the shop-worn purpose of asserting Canuck moral superiority over those vulgar Yanks, our country doesn’t include Quebec.

I didn't use any of the hyperbolic language in your last sentence. Perhaps, we could not descent into misrepresenting each other's points of view?

I have traveled extensively, how would I compare the measure of overt racial tension in Montreal vs Dallas? The former most certainly has less than the latter.

That does not mean Montreal unto itself, let alone Quebec more broadly is bastion of multiculturalism, though as I don't recall advocating that it was in the first place, it seems a digressive statement.

Nor does it make Dallas a pit of immorality and bigotry.

To engage in gross over-generalizations is unhelpful, as is hyperbolic language.

Simply put racial tension is not of the same order of magnitude in Canada, as in large parts of the U.S. at this moment in time.

That doesn't mean we don't have lots of work to do; nor that others are somehow morally bankrupt.

I don’t think it’s remotely hyperbolic to assert that ethnicity is the basis of Québécois nationalism, or that your generalizations about Canada really only apply to the English-speaking provinces. As for my assertion regarding English Canada’s profound sense of its moral superiority to the US, nope not hyperbole. It’s the air we breathe.

My wife who iswest Indian has no problem vacationing in Montreal and orquebec city but loathes her work trips toclevland and Dallas. She'd never live inthe states

OK, here’s a true story about Canada. When my son was at Queen’s around six years ago, he and his buddies decided to go to what I think was called a country party. Anyway, whatever the name, it was going to consist of congregating with a bunch of non-Queen’s rural locals in some farm or field and drinking etc. Their friend from Belleville who was organizing the field trip strongly advised that the Nigerian guy in their group would be a problem for that crowd. So none of them ended up going.

I get that your wife doesn’t like Cleveland or Dallas. On the other hand, I don’t think she would reasonably have a problem with NYC, DC, Chicago or Boston. The US is a gigantic, diverse country about which it’s hard to generalize. And Canada isn’t simply the Annex writ large - your wife wouldn’t have been any more welcome among the eastern Ontario rural locals than she would have been in the suburbs of Dallas.

by no means am I saying that their isnt any racism in Ontario and or Quebec. I know it exists. We own a cottage in Stratford and sure enough people look at us whenever we go out being a mixed couple. I have no idea why she feels differently but she definately notices a difference. By the way we love NYC and go yearly but NYC has its own segregation problems. We spend most of our time in Manhatten and its noticable that most of the servers or minimum wage workers are everything but white and the people enjoying the city are white and or asian. That said we do love NYC.

We own a cottage in Stratford and sure enough people look at us whenever we go out being a mixed couple.

When we go up the cottage near Huntsville, it is 99.9% white. I think we have seen one non white family near the main dock. It is a huge change from our part of Scarborough, which has to be 2/3 visible minorities.

When we go up the cottage near Huntsville, it is 99.9% white. I think we have seen one non white family near the main dock. It is a huge change from our part of Scarborough, which has to be 2/3 visible minorities.

There's a much greater drop off in diversity going from Canadian cities to the countryside compared to American cities and the countryside it seems.

Minorities in the US, while concentrated in big cities, still live in small towns in larger proportions than in Canada, while in Canada visible minorities, who are not aboriginal, are extremely low proportions of the population in most rural towns.

Daniel Leblanc‏Verified account@danlebla
Candidate PLC dans la partielle de Chicoutimi Le Fjord: la femme d’affaire Lina Boivin. Elle sera l’adversaire de @richardmartelpc
Paul Wells‏Verified account@InklessPW 1m1 minute ago
Paul Wells Retweeted Daniel Leblanc

Suggests the PM might be close to calling a by-election in a riding that will be an interesting test for just about every party

The Liberals have to call the by-election by June 2.

EDIT:

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2...unning-to-be-mayor-of-vancouver/#.WvS3TYgvyM-

There will be another vacancy.

Last edited:
The Liberals need to act fast on this issue.
Customs agents moved from GTA to Quebec border to handle migrant surge
Border and customs agents are being pulled from the Greater Toronto Area to handle a a “significant” influx of asylum seekers across the U.S. border into Quebec over the summer months.

The move is expected to lead to delays for travellers embarking from overseas and U.S. flights at Toronto’s Pearson International airport – the country’s busiest airport – and land-border crossings in southern Ontario.

A Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) memo, obtained by The Globe and Mail, says agents in the Greater Toronto Area will be dispatched to Quebec to alleviate the pressure from “a significant increase in the number of refugee claimants arriving in Canada without passing through a port of entry.”
One Air Canada pilot, who spoke on background, said passengers could be expected to sit on the tarmac for up to an hour or more.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...gta-to-quebec-border-to-handle-migrant-surge/

Liberals risk new-Canadian vote with border-crossing response, say pollsters
The Liberals have switched to more hardline messaging around asylum seekers, say pollsters and observers, as the government’s response has left it open to attack in the face of increasing irregular border crossings and charges from the Conservatives that the Grits are soft on border security.

Politically, the challenge and vulnerability for the Liberals is especially acute among first-generation and new-Canadian communities, said Jackie Choquette, vice-president at Hill+Knowlton Strategies, which both parties have been targeting and fighting over for several elections.
Though the Conservatives have been accusing the Liberals of being weak along the border, Summa Strategies senior consultant Kate Harrison said the attack line that’s more “acutely felt” is “on the notion of queue jumping.”
Those “lofty promises” present a political vulnerability, Ms. Harrison said, as some families still wait for that to happen while hearing messages—accurate or not—that others get to jump the line.
In a September poll following a summer spike in irregular crossings, Angus Reid found 53 per cent of respondents said the country has been “too generous” to the border crossers.

“I think there’s a narrative—which is not necessarily an accurate narrative—that Canada is an endlessly welcoming and generous country,” she said, but the polls show that’s not the case.
Pushing border security and painting the Liberals as soft may produce “modest gains” for the Tories but it’s not a strategy that will dramatically increase their support, said Frank Graves, president of EKOS Research Associates.

However, it can provide emotional energy for motivating their base, he said, which are “far more concerned” about the issue.

“Frankly, elections are won on emotional engagement,” he said, and the approach can bring out committed supporters, which can produce higher turnout, better fundraising, and more involvement.
“They need to make a measurable difference on one aspect of this issue, even if it’s a small aspect,” she said, though there’s no easy solution. “The potential for this issue is it hurts them with a number of key constituencies that they rely on or will need to rely on in 2019. They’re running out of time.”

https://www.hilltimes.com/2018/05/1...sponse-danger-debate-stokes-resentment/143842

Zi-Ann Lum‏Verified account@ziannlum
PMJT responds to Jason Kenney's insult about him being an "empty trust-fund millionaire" with "the political depth of a finger bowl." Trudeau tells reporters in NYC: "My father raised me better than that and I’m not going to engage."

Kenney is a reprehensible little twerp.

I lean blue. Jason Kennedy offends me. I think that comment is unmerited. While we’re casting stones, at least Trudeau had a job as a teacher prior to becoming an MP. As I recall, Jason Kenney went from being a university student to an MP. I don’t believe he has ever not worked as a pol. Something I consider deadly.

I lean blue. Jason Kennedy offends me. I think that comment is unmerited. While we’re casting stones, at least Trudeau had a job as a teacher prior to becoming an MP. As I recall, Jason Kenney went from being a university student to an MP. I don’t believe he has ever not worked as a pol. Something I consider deadly.

He was an EA to Ralph Gooddale, then became the ED to Alberta Taxpayers Federation and president/CEO to CTF prior to running for office. So not quite true, but not far removed from the trough he so despises either. Certainly not an apolitical, "normal" job.

AoD

Back