Pictures from March 11 Meet

Re: UT does MapArt!

The tour begins with the always classy Fish Tank in the reception area:
DSCN0181.JPG

Perhaps the biggest map NERD!!! of all graces us with his presence:
DSCN0183.JPG

In order to work at MapArt your printing must be top notch:
DSCN0185.JPG

The tour group anxiously awaits its opportunity to snap up their helpless yellow prey:
DSCN0186.JPG

A small sampling:
DSCN0187.JPG

Dunno what this was for, but it looks cool:
DSCN0188.JPG

A detailed explanation of how maps are created:
DSCN0189.JPG

A tool used to scratch out the map details:
DSCN0190.JPG

Through the looking glass:
RSCN0195.JPG

I can't be the only one who thinks this could double as a headquarters for a James Bond villan:
DSCN0191.JPG

"Say Goodbye to your dear Arctic Mr. Bond. Ho ho ho.":
DSCN0197.JPG

Showing how the modern day maps are made. I could have a field day playing with all the layering tools:
DSCN0198.JPG

My view of the picture-off with Darkstar:
DSCN0199.JPG

Come for the tour, stay for the scenery:
DSCN0200.JPG

And lastly the dinner pic... a picture that I'll point out was taken at the end of the meal when all the plates and beers (!!!) had already been cleared. The restaurant was eager to ship us off as they needed the table.
[L-R: canuck36 (me), cdl42, spmarshall, jerico32, buildTO, simply dan, darkstar416, & Archivistower]
DSCN0204.JPG

Those not joining us for dinner: Jarrek, Ed007Toronto, unimaginative2, building babel & his friend Bruce, and our wonderful host interchange42.

Thanks for the tour.

It surely was a map-erific day! Thanks again Craig for the fantastic tour!

I'm still giddy from seeing Infinity's territory going pink. Thanks Craig. And thanks to those who posted their pics, much appreciated.

Looks like fun, too bad I only get to see small bits and pieces of Toronto at a time, rather than stay.

I missed a tour of MapArt. :( I'm a map junkie. Did you get a peek at the MapArt West Don Lands map he was working on? I get a new map book every year and the newly expired book becomes my canvas for SimCity pencil and paper edition. :)

Another MapArt tour is possible! This tour was advertised only through known personal email addresses, and we would prefer to offer future invitations in the same way. No slights were intended for those who were not invited: I just did not have your email address.

For any UTers interested in a tour, please email me at interchange42@yahoo.ca and put "MapArt tour 2" in your subject line. Once we have several respondants, we'll work out a future date.

Cheers!

This tour was advertised only through known personal email addresses

Mainly people that have attended meets and become friends are on this list.

Thanks for a great tour Craig!

Now that I know the secrets and the technology behind the force that is MapArt, it will allow me to complete my map of Koszalin, Poland and eventually take over the polish map market!

Muahahahahahha! *EVIL LAUGH*

Ok, maybe not but thanks for the tour.

Mainly people that have attended meets and become friends are on this list.

See? I've said it before: you gotta come out and show yourselves at least once!

As we were parting ways on Saturday, unimaginative said he would organize a meet at an Italian restaurant or something...

:D

I would have loved to visited MapArt. I can't emphasize enough how good their 2006 Ontario Road Atlas is - you can find anything including ghost towns.

But you can't find supermarkets ... or stembaths.

... and I sent interchange a lengthy email to that effect after the tour, pointing out the design-and-content shortcomings of his maps as Babel sees them.

... and, ever the gentleman, he was gracious enough to reply, point by point ... and I eagerly await the results!

Yes, there is beer in Canada. In Ontario it is a highly controlled substance available at Beer Store Clinics, where once you have had your hit, you can drop your empties off lest they pose a danger to the little ones.

Are there absolutly no women on this forum? Not even a dyke? I find that strange there are no women in the group pics. There must be some ladies in this city who care about what Toronto looks like. Maybe they were afraid to be swarmed by the boys if they went to the meeting.

There's only 3 or 4 women that post on this forum. Don't know how many lurk. Obviously a large percentage are male.

Back