2K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 3.9K     4 

Pictures from March 11 Meet

C

Canuck 36

Interchange42 was kind enough to host a tour of MapArt for members of this forum. MapArt is the company behind those yellow map books which can be bought at any bookstore, gas station, convenience store, etc.

A description of the tour/more photos will come tomorrow, but for now here's a group shot taken at dinner.

Can you identify them all?

DSCN0204.JPG

Eight guys and only one beer? You map guys are real nerds aren't you?

Is this the picture before attractive girls show up and get taught model rocketry? 8o Just kidding of course but the lack of beer and food in that picture is a little strange.

Taking the obligatory group picture was the last thing we ddi before we left.

Thanks again to Craig for an amazing tour!

Yes Craig, you're the best. It was fun. Thanks again.

Re: UT does MapArt!

I'm sure there will be a few more postings of Saturday's pictures (as I think most of us had a camera), but here's my batch to start:

We have arrived...with 2 minutes to spare! (simply Dan)
DSCN0291.jpg

Myself and BuildTO try to get used to all the space around us.
DSCN0290.jpg

East Berlin or mid-Etobicoke? You decide.
DSCN0289.jpg

It looks like interchange42 is already in the building, so in we go into the world of MapArt.
DSCN0287.jpg

interchange42 begins the tour in front of a large rack of MapArt road maps.
DSCN0292.jpg

Into the boardroom to learn about the old-school methods of cartography.
DSCN0293.jpg

interchange42 continues to explain the incredibly involved process of old-school map-making.
DSCN0294.jpg

BuildTO, spmarshall and BuildingBabel's friend Bruce.
DSCN0295.jpg

BuildTO trying to make sense of it all.
DSCN0296.jpg

Then into the big room for an extremely interesting display of modern computer-based cartography.
DSCN0297.jpg

Tours over, but now the really tricky part...trying to decide where to eat! (simply Dan, Jericho32 & Archivistower).
DSCN0298.jpg

One final pic! (Canuck36, interchange42, spmarshall, simply Dan & Archivistower).
DSCN0299.jpg

Thank again interchange42! We all had a fantastic afternoon!

I'm glad it was enjoyed! (I knew I should have gotten a haircut beforehand - it's so shaggy in those pictures - terrible!) And I'm sorry I had to miss dinner. We'll have to do it again. Whose place of employment is next?

interchange:

Want to visit the wonderful Brutalist bunker that is Ryerson's Jorgenson Hall? :p

At the very least, you get to see elemental concrete imprinted with wood grain from the casting process...

AoD

Oh, I've spent lots of time in Jorgensen, Alvin. And Kerr. And Image Arts. Do I get a Bachelor of Sciences in Urban and Regional Planning if I return?

I'll offer my new office once its ready for a future tour. Mind you we could do a before tour if there is enough demand.

My friend Bruce and I enjoyed the visit tremendously. As graphic designers it set us thinking, and discussing mapping in general and Map Art in particular, as we walked around Canada Blooms later that evening.

A big "thank you" to interchange!

Looks like fun... wish I could have made it. Damn brain surgeries.

Were you performing one or having one done?

Back