News   May 14, 2024
 204     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 327     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Photo Update 2006.04.15 (ROM/RCM/1 St. Thomas/CAS/Met)

Am I too much of a literalist, or would the sparkly rocks not have looked amazing on the top floor under the slanting eaves and shard-like skylights?

I think he mineral section should be located away from the natural light, especially the exhibit on gold. Don't want the natural light to compete with all those glittering rocks.

Aren't locations with abundant natural light being saved for the cafeteria/gift shop so that visitors are in a better mood when their wallets are open?

Well, the ROM does want to consolidate all the natural history galleries on the 2nd floor, which translates to only 2 crystal galleries being available. The life galleries are organized such that it presents a roughly chronological order, from early life on in the north end of the QP wing, onto the dinosaurs gallery in the first crystal and mammals in the second - and that leaves no room for the mineral collection in the new building.

Having looked at the detailed floor plans on display at the ROM, I think the precious gems are going to be displayed in a special room of its own, at the south end of the minerals gallery.

re: cafeteria and gift shop

The new family cafeteria is actually going to be located in the basement level of the 1912 wing, facing Philosopher's Walk. The gift shop, on the ground level in the new addition (along with the entrance) is there for retail exposure, obviously.

AoD

Alvin:

A mummy board is a board with an image ( of a mummy, or the person who was mummified, I assume ) that was included as part of the tomb, placed over the mummy.

AlvinofDespair,

Excellent photos, interesting to see the cladding of 1 St Thomas is coming together exceptionally well despite the early doubts of some forumers. They are attaching some of the base cladding, but it seems to be of the same colour as the upper floors.

Also the photos of ROM, Conservatory, UoT residences & (not shown the Bata Museum & Park Hyatt Hotel & St George Club) are setting up Bloor to Spadina as a dramatic avenue. Once the point towers at Bedford are complete this will come together suddenly.

Some pics from today...(Wed., April 19th)

On Carlton looking east. The Met midground, with ROCP peeking up impressively in the background.
DSC_0019sm.JPG

ROCP from Yonge and Gerrard.
DSC_0020sm.JPG

Closeup of ROCP from Yonge and Gerrard.
DSC_0022sm.JPG

Standing between ROCP and College Park-McLean Hunter at Bay and College.
DSC_0023sm.JPG

Just for the heck of it, I took the elevator to the 7th floor of MaRS, and snapped this shot.
DSC_0030crpbwsm.JPG

Wow: with a second, and possibly third, tower coming the whole College Park block will transformed wonderfully. Nice to see. Thanks!

Met has got some windows up on the Carlton street side (in between all the precast) and on the east side.

It looks really nice from Carlton and Church.

Here is a pic of the glazing between the precast at the podium:

20060527-Met001.jpg

AoD

So everybody’s upset it’s not entirely clad in glass, why? Perhaps it would have looked better, but maybe not. Also, do any of you know what sunlight will do to artwork and artifacts? In addition, why allow the entire street to view what’s going on the inside? The Museum has to maintain a bit of mystery in order to intrigue the public to enter and explore. Not to mention the interiors will have a much more dynamic effect without distracting the patrons from the objects on display. It’s only crystal in form, not in cladding which is probably what the R.O.M had in mind when they chose Daniel Libeskind’s design.

berlin5.jpg

AlvinofDiaspar, thanks for those pics. Those windows actually look very decent (I am not sure if its because of your good photography and the angel of the shot though).

Back