News   May 13, 2024
 734     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 746     0 

Photo Update 2006.04.15 (ROM/RCM/1 St. Thomas/CAS/Met)

I'm not complaining, I'm just underwhelmed having seen the massing in person.

If this is going to be the most important building in the country, design-wise, then our nation really has nothing to brag about. It's just 3 jutting, impractical shapes -- neither bilbao (not for lack of trying), nor especially functional. I expect the structure will be decent; however this is yet another example of frittering away money.

The galleries will be much improved but for $200 million, gallery space is barely increasing (something like 20% larger when all said and done, but I couldn't find a firm number). For that much money -- my preference is a handsome limestone addition, not faux-anything, increasing display space by up to 50%.

If the crystal was going to be truly spectacular I'd sell function down the river, but from most of the renderings, it looks like it'll just be "nice".

I believe you're wrong on all counts. The increase in gallery space is supposed to be in the 40% range. Out of all the proposals (or at least the ones that made the cut), this design offered the greatest increase in gallery space.

Great architecture (subjective, I know) and the most practical...a winner on all counts.

Gee!!! for a monent I thought I was seeing some of my own shots of the ROM as they were shot like the ones I have to upload yet.:rollin :rollin

The ROM will be installing their new Mummy Board - which I believe was picked up cheap in a shop from a seller who didn't realize what it was - in the transitional area between the Crystal and the Egyptian gallery. I hear it is quite smashing.

Is there anyone else who thinks ROM is a disaster

There is no better proof that architecture is an aesthetic art, where beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and that everyone has a different opinion, than this statement...while we need to wait for the final cladding, I would think that most folks will be blown away by this project - imho, the ROM crystal will indeed be one of the most significant buildings built in recent times, here or anywhere.

like any great piece of art, whether it be this building, a movie, or a simple photograph, in general I believe one of the great effects it can have is to leave its audience divided in opinion, debating its merit long after its completion. and to that end, I think this building will accomplish that. And hopefully it will translate into higher attendance for the museum. (though I’m sure initially, at least, it will.)

maxy:

If this is going to be the most important building in the country, design-wise, then our nation really has nothing to brag about. It's just 3 jutting, impractical shapes -- neither bilbao (not for lack of trying), nor especially functional. I expect the structure will be decent; however this is yet another example of frittering away money.

Actually, have you even looked at the structure from the inside at all?

As to the issue of practicality, is Guggenheim Bilbao particularly "practical"? Or on that matter, Toronto City Hall, Sydney Opera House, etc?

If there is a complaint, it is that not enough money was offered for fretting to max out the potential of this project.

AoD

I wonder how those white materials on the crystal are going to age?
I hope it doesn't look like FCP in 20 years.

Personally, I'm just about one of the most conservative, heritage-loving people around, but I must confess that I love the ROM project and am extremely excited about it, and not just about the restoration of the old wings and the reconfiguration of the exibits either! The Crystal raises the profile of a dusty old institution, literally and figuratively, and the revitalization of the museum is in no way turning its back on its heritage but is keeping the building relevent so that the institution overall will continue to evolve, and the new wings will eventually become part of Toronto's heritage like the old ones. Also, like OCAD the Crystal has been refreshingly controversial and provocative. It will surely be a landmark, and if all that SD2 says about additional space etc is true than this is a practical addition too.

Actually, have you even looked at the structure from the inside at all?

My complaint with the inside -- and I'm ignorant of how great it might be from an exhibitor's standpoint -- is the size of the expansion. I just wish there was more of the ROM; a permanent geological exhibit, for example.

As to the issue of practicality, is Guggenheim Bilbao particularly "practical"? Or on that matter, Toronto City Hall, Sydney Opera House, etc?

Every building need not be practical, including the ROM. But I don't think the crystal will be extraordinary enough to warrant the loss in practicality, and the additional cost from every piece being custom-made.

It's just my aesthetic judgement, of course. To you maybe the crystal will be so astounding or elegant or jaunty or whatever, that it's worth all of the foregone possibilities.

maxy:

My complaint with the inside -- and I'm ignorant of how great it might be from an exhibitor's standpoint -- is the size of the expansion. I just wish there was more of the ROM; a permanent geological exhibit, for example.

There is going to be a permanent geological exhibit - the gemstones on the 2nd floor of the south end of the Queens Park wing, while the "earth" gallery is on north end, shared with early life.

AoD

I have wondered ever since the floorplans for Renaissance ROM were first published why the minerals and gemstones galleries were not going into the crystal part of the structure. Am I too much of a literalist, or would the sparkly rocks not have looked amazing on the top floor under the slanting eaves and shard-like skylights?

Back