News   Jul 29, 2024
 373     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 524     0 

Photo Of The Day

Too bad about that TD branch. Looks like a little modernist gem pre-Pizza Pizza. Wonder if it could be restored back to its original state...

January 17, 2008
1KingHole.jpg

Oh, ok - I thought so ("Where's Harry?") but when Ed posted it the date threw me off (I thought it might have been taken today).

Anyone know what that Pizza Pizza was before?
If you are really interested, read this story from Bruce Bell at The Bulletin.

On those times when I find myself enjoying a slice of pepperoni pizza at the Pizza-Pizza at Church and Wellington it never ceases to amaze me that even though this is one of Toronto’s most historically significant corners there’s nothing close by to tell anyone that. continue...

Interesting tidbit from that article:

In 1860 the London Times wrote: “Toronto must be admired with what has been done in architecture under a monarchy. Churches, cathedrals, markets, post office, colleges, schools, rise in imperial dignity in the city…â€

Sigh...

Seeing as that spot continued on as a TD bank, why would they replace such a spectacular building. Seems ludicrous to me; then again much of what was done in the 60s/70s I can't understand.

In 1860 the London Times wrote: “Toronto must be admired with what has been done in architecture under a monarchy. Churches, cathedrals, markets, post office, colleges, schools, rise in imperial dignity in the city…â€

Sigh...

lol, yeah.

We’ve come sooo far so soon. Thank you developer families all holed up in York region.

Sigh...

Bruce Bell does very informative and historic tours of old Toronto. I recall a story from a year or two ago where he has access to some really interesting areas like the gallows under St. Lawrence Market. Here's a story on him from Jan. 17th in the Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/GTA/LocalHistory/article/294837

& his website, http://www.brucebelltours.ca/

Back