22     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 426     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 2.6K     2 

Pearson T1 - Pier F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reykjavik is supposed to have some nice hot springs and as a connection point across the Atlantic between North America and Europe it make a lot of sense. If I have to layover somewhere I think a hotel in Iceland might be a nice place to do it.

I flew IcelandAir from JFK to Heathrow via Reykjavik years ago. Nice flight, and the way they schedule the stopovers ensures that the trip isn't a whole lot longer than flying non-stop. Plus you can stay in Iceland for a few days for no extra charge, then continue on to London, as I recall.

I have always wanted to do that trip. The fares are competitive, and you can spend a couple days in Iceland for no extra charge. I mean, how else are you ever going to get to Iceland?

Trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise...

...but you don't get much time in Iceland on those.

I'm looking forward to Icelandair starting up here too. Hopefully they'll get the ball rolling with some special fares.

Trans-Atlantic repositioning cruise...

...but you don't get much time in Iceland on those.

I'm looking forward to Icelandair starting up here too. Hopefully they'll get the ball rolling with some special fares.

Guess this is exciting news! I'd love to see Iceland - this gives me a great opportunity.

Anyway, so far we have Virgin Atlantic starting up possiply 2010ish (according to their press releases), Qatar Airways sometime in 2008, Kuwait Airways possibly too.. Another Chinese Airline (I heard China Southern)... This gives Pearson a few more legacy carriers to add to its growing list. This reminds me of the golden age of the mid 1990's, for Pearson.

Pearson Update - Aug 11

just a mini-update to show the ongoing demolition of old Terminal 2....

work is slowly proceeding on the west end ..you can see where they are prepping for additional tarmac area...

11Aug2007aT2Destruction.jpg

11Aug2007dT2CloseUp.jpg

one surprise...removal of the T2 access roads is permitting the addition of one more jetbridge at new Terminal 1...eventually pier G will extend from just beyond here...

11Aug2007cGate193Work.jpg

I notice they're not (yet) tearing down the parking lot--which was actually one
element of T2 that I liked. Wouldn't it make sense to make this the long term parking zone?

regarding the T2 parking lot, right now I think they are letting the construction workers park there..

I believe the T2 parking garage will remain in place to be used by Airport employees until such time as a new garage out at the Viscount PeopleMover station has opened.

Give them a couple of years to build the Viscount garage, and then a season to tear the T2 one down, and it should then be about time to start work on Pier G.

I agree. Great pictures! Will be interesting to see it gone completely! And do a time lapse picture showing it get demolished! hehe

some more pics from Aug 31....slow but steady progress.....

31Aug2007bT2Demolition.jpg

31Aug2007cGate193Progress.jpg

31Aug2007aNewRamp.jpg

bit of action at Pier F....

31Aug2007dPierFActivity.jpg

Urban Toronto can't thank you enough for posting your Pearson updates over the years - really appreciated! :)

Indeed--these are great, and from a perspective most of us never see.

I guess the question now becomes when the next pier starts construction; I know the current T1 is very big but the number of new airlines coming into YYZ is pretty amazing, and most of them seem headed for T1. Surely things are getting pretty crowded around the hammerhead between about 3 and 9 PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back