News   May 31, 2024
 1K     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.5K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Parc Downsview Park

so nobody has any info on these condos? whose the developer? what happened to the sales centre in the hanger building?

Wrecking ball nears for historic WWII plane plant in Toronto; skating complex planned

A building that played a major role in the production of aircraft for the Allies in their fight against Hitler during the Second World War is facing the wrecking ball.

It's located in Toronto's Downsview Park and is described in federal heritage documents simply as "CFB Plant #1, Building #1."

Just one month after the federal government celebrated Canada's aviation history by reintroducing the name, "Royal Canadian Air Force," it was sending an eviction notice to a building where RCAF planes were assembled.

Built in 1929, the plant housed the operations of the de Havilland Aircraft company which provided 17 per cent of Canada's planes during the war years.

The old brick-and-glass building in a sprawling industrial complex produced more than 2,500 Mosquito fighter bombers and Tiger Moth trainers during 1939 and 1945.

The building is on federal land and is currently rented by the privately run Canadian Air and Space Museum.

The museum and neighbouring tenants were told on Sept. 20 they would be evicted to make way for a four-rink ice complex. Everything but the facade of the old airplane factory is slated for demolition

Museum CEO Robert Cohen says Parc Downsview Park Inc., the Crown corporation redeveloping the area, has not been honest with the museum and the 10 other tenants.

"I can only say that if Stephen Harper really knew what was going on here, I think he would be totally appalled as to how the people at Parc Downsview Park have been treating us," he said.

Cohen says all tenants facing eviction from "65 Carl Hall Road," including a sewing school and a few small businesses, were misled into believing they had a long-term future there.

"They broke many hearts, they've put these small entrepreneurs into a terrible predicament," he added

More............http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...oronto-skating-complex-planned-132845033.html

There is some good info on the new Toronto FC training facility up on the TFC website here, including renderings.

Here are a couple shots:

Picture 8.jpg

Picture 12.jpg

Picture 10.jpg

Picture 9.jpg

Picture 11.jpg

Pretty ho-hum stuff, I must say, but I thought it was worth reporting anyways.

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 567
  • Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 986
  • Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 554
  • Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 532
  • Picture 11.jpg
    Picture 11.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 594
The developments at Downsview Park are so mysterious - I drive past it every day and see all sorts of stuff going on, but nobody here seems to know what or cares to discuss it...

I find the whole thing just disappointing. None of it interests me. Are all of those football fields really necessary?

I'm bringing this thread back to life only because I'm not allowed to create a thread due to the low amount of posts I have.

The Downsview Park Townhouse development by Urbancorp went on sale April 14. I bought one a few days ago but I'm still not sure about it, I have not found any information about this development on the forum and would like to hear some board members opinions.

Last edited:
Your post would be better suited to the Rate this design/floorplan section.

The layout will be fine if you're a person who doesn't like spending a lot of time at home.

It's like most condos these days, the bedroom dimensions are too small. Once you shove a queen bed in the master bedroom you won't have room for much else. The second bedroom will be fine if you just use it as a home office. The living room is a bit too narrow as well.. it will feel a bit like living in a hallway. To feel comfortable/not feel claustrophobic you will need to be minimalist in your furniture choices.. a sofa, a chair and a TV stand maybe.. but no coffee table because you won't be able to easily walk around without your guests tripping over everything. Entertaining 6 or more guests in this place will feel a bit like a sardine can.

But if these are in line with condo specs of the future, in time it will be the norm. People will adjust accordingly; it's like many homes and apartments in Eastern Europe; small living rooms double up as guest rooms, couches are all part time beds, spaces are tight and economical. It's just the way it is. You can argue that condo developers are trying to shoehorn as many units as possible onto any given plot of land, but people are still gobbling up those units, so who is to blame? Land values being what they are in the core, and with people seeking shorter commute times, smaller living facilities for the masses are almost inevitable.

I don't necessarily like it myself but I believe coming generations will be quite accustomed to living in densely occupied cities where the notion of requisite personal space has shrunk considerably.

I agree this is already becoming the norm for Toronto and I think some of the population will adjust. Space has always been a trade-off when wanting to move closer to the excitement of the city (which I'm not really sure Downsview qualifies as, but anyway).

I just think of all the kiddies and boomers in McMansions in the suburbs (i.e. the future market expansion).. I don't think some of them will be able to adjust. How large a % will adjust is the question. Immigration will also help out a bit to fill these condos.

I see your point, but when you get down to it, Downsview is not all that far from the core, when compared to edge cities like Mississauga and Pickering. And I agree, immigration will help fill those units.

But there's another possibility - if developers take it too far, you could see a wave of hideously cramped units causing would-be owners to shun the market; then you'd see developers being forced to accommodate their needs by returning to building units with slightly more generous interior dimensions.

But the greater trend is pretty unmistakeable and, for the time being anyway, probably irreversible.

I just threw the floor plan up there to give an idea, I mostly likely will not be living in it, it's an investment property which i'd like to hear some thoughts on as well. The reason I like it is because it has 2 bedrooms and a little space for a desk, 2 YorkU students would not have a problem living in there while they're in school. I went to OttawaU and my place was a shoebox and Ottawa doesn't even have subway lines there haha stupid city.

I currently live in the area and built a house on my existing property last year, this part of Toronto is definitely booming and I could not find anything wrong with using this as an investment property.

In the area there is the new Humber River hospital and forensics buildings going up, along with a new elementary school that is near completion within walking distance from Downsview Park. Of course Yorkdale has their expansion underway, 401 & 400 highways can be reached within seconds, and the new subway line which will have a stop at YorkU.

Not to mention everything that goes on at Downsview Park, concerts, shows, sporting events, for people who live downtown Dowsview Park is not an attraction because there is just so much going on but for people who live in surrounding areas of Downsview Park even a little out of the city, it becomes an attraction.

Last edited:
I'm sure, held long enough it will be fine as an investment. Short to medium term I think there are some factors outside of location and size that are going to affect anyone buying today in terms of appreciation. Though that discussion is not for this thread ;)

Back