News   May 09, 2024
 282     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 559     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Parc Downsview Park

I don't understand, what building was the floor plan associated with, I didn't know they started marketing any building in the area yet ?

i was in the area on sunday and clearly the sales centre had just opened off of keele... there was a huge line up of cars. It looks like these are going to sell well... Im assuming once they get the initial projects off the ground the prices will go up quite a bit. im not into master planned communities. but when it has a massive park a subway the 401 and a university close by its hard to screw up.

Ah these are the townhomes I think ?

Still not sure if there was a need for townhomes in the area to be honest ...

This whole development is rather low to medium density. Though there are some drawing / renderings of retail this area could use a ton of it and I'm not sure that'll happen.

i think the townhouses was part of scaling back the project. I know the councillor tried to do her best (mari augemarie) to limit how many units were being built. The people who own houses in the neighbourhood think the condos are going to simply turn out like the other apartment buildings in the area - depressing. As a result they dont want much development. Some areas of the city see intensification as a good thing because it means more wealth is moving in... this area doesnt believe that at all.

These are condo town homes and freehold town homes. I can't see these turning into similar apartments in the area, the cheapest unit is $299k and go up to $650k, needless to say low income families will not be able to afford them. If you drive through the nearby residential areas you will see a ton of new custom built homes, they are going up everyday and are changing the face of this area.

These are condo town homes and freehold town homes. I can't see these turning into similar apartments in the area, the cheapest unit is $299k and go up to $650k, needless to say low income families will not be able to afford them. If you drive through the nearby residential areas you will see a ton of new custom built homes, they are going up everyday and are changing the face of this area.

im familiar with the area and i agree with what you are saying. but that doesnt change the perception the community has.. there are some dang nice houses around there tucked away with parks. people are crazy though and have written off the area and would prefer to move to vaughan or brampton. its insane in my opinion. truthfully as much as its changing i didnt buy in the area since i figure its at least 10 years away from being decen and 20 years to get to about my areas standards. im 33 i dont have 10-20 years to waste.

that being said if i was braver and i didnt mind being farther from the core this is a great oppertunity... downsview park and yorkdale are going to change that area of toronto big time... ill just have to drive north to experience it.

The majority of people that live around here have lived here their entire lives, a lot of them retired and older generations. As an investment property I can't see anything going wrong as the new subway line, vicinity to highways and Humber River hospital support the value of pretty much all real estate surrounding it.
If I was married with young children I would move to Vaughan as well, but if I was a student, immigrant or a single professional that couldn't afford $1800+ rent downtown I would like to live in the core. My opinion is a little bias I know since I live here, but I'm helping myself justify my purchase because it's a step down from some other properties I own.

The majority of people that live around here have lived here their entire lives, a lot of them retired and older generations. As an investment property I can't see anything going wrong as the new subway line, vicinity to highways and Humber River hospital support the value of pretty much all real estate surrounding it.
If I was married with young children I would move to Vaughan as well, but if I was a student, immigrant or a single professional that couldn't afford $1800+ rent downtown I would like to live in the core. My opinion is a little bias I know since I live here, but I'm helping myself justify my purchase because it's a step down from some other properties I own.

if i grew up there i would have stayed there. i grew up in scarborough at midland and finch and simply decided i was moving because the location was too damn far... especially by transit... downsview park is ammmmazing though so i would contemplate living there. but i guess my feeling is why move from one suburb to another. why not move closer to downtown which is what i wanted. i did buy a car recently... i think if i bought a car before i bought my house then living farther would have been at least a option. in a lot of ways i wish i could have convinced my wife to move there but we bought for different reasons... love the trees in that hood tho.

Thanks for posting that video, Alvin.
After the failure of the government to carry through on the Rem Koolhas plan, then the following selloff of land, I'd pretty much written this whole thing off. Good to see that this has happened.

It looks like it's a decent size. Still, Downsview's green space is quite interrupted compared to High Park. Here's a side-by-side comparison of scale, cut from Google Maps.

downshigh.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see how progress is being made. I was a big opponent of selling off land to finance the project but, hey, what's done is done.

P.S. I like how Hume takes a predictable dig at the city and the pace of change. Yes, progress on this project has been glacial. I for one wanted it to be even slower, thereby preserving more land. But if we are extending the thesis to somehow suggest that Toronto is not changing I think a little perspective is required. If the city were changing any faster I think it would border on being traumatic.

Any idea when the actual condo / retail development may get underway ?

Can't find the Tree City plan online - but then again it's more like a functional plan than a site plan. I might have some files on it, the emphasis on *might* given it was so long ago.

If you can, try and look up the Harvard School of Design/Prestel Case Study on the proposal: http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/projects/case-downsview-park-toronto.html - it's probably the definitive volume out there on it.

AoD

Last edited:
You know I had to do it big for Urbantoronto: The Neighbourhoods of Downsview Park sales center.

IMG_20121010_103401.jpg

IMG_20121010_103431.jpg

IMG_20121010_103501.jpg

IMG_20121010_103642.jpg

IMG_20121010_103654.jpg

IMG_20121010_103708.jpg

IMG_20121010_103748.jpg

IMG_20121010_103752.jpg

IMG_20121010_103801.jpg

IMG_20121010_103813.jpg

IMG_20121010_103823.jpg

IMG_20121010_103833.jpg