News   Aug 07, 2024
 38     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 257     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 224     0 

Overhaul the Mall

I have been to Erin Mills Town Centre, which is opposite Credit Valley Hospital, to purchase a gift for an inpatient, in winter.

I LOVE that satellite photo. I've used it in the past as an illustration of the fundamental problems associated with suburban design. That strip of dead grass and mud between the intersection and the mall... inevitably pedestrians are either forgotten or sometimes actively prevented from utilizing the shortest walking path to their destination.

I LOVE that satellite photo. I've used it in the past as an illustration of the fundamental problems associated with suburban design. That strip of dead grass and mud between the intersection and the mall... inevitably pedestrians are either forgotten or sometimes actively prevented from utilizing the shortest walking path to their destination.

Indeed! I grew up in the area and that path was worn in the minute the mall opened in 1990. Locals trudge through no matter how deep the mud or treacherous the ice and slush given how utterly ridiculous any other route would be.

Don't forget groceries as something that absolutely makes far more sense "in person".

I doubt it's still like it now, but when Grocery Gateway first started up the produce they'd deliver was usually (and amazingly) better than what you'd see at the actual grocery store. Apparently they were getting first dibs on things at the big grocery and produce markets...

There is a disturbing amount of truth in that, even if you meant it as sarcasm. When it comes to "generic" shopping the internet is vastly superior to any kind of physical shopping arrangement, plus it's the most environmentally sensitive way to mass consume.

you might want to build an underground bunker with a high speed internet connection. this would be quite efficient. eat mushrooms and whatever colourless bugs roam down there.
whatever we think of malls, they encourage human beings to actually, physically interact.
big box retailers are far more hunt-and-peck with specific goals in mind.
malls create a community - no matter how phoney - that encourage walking, browsing, sitting on benches and hanging around.
something we need.
that being said, i never go to malls. mall people are annoying.

Indeed! I grew up in the area and that path was worn in the minute the mall opened in 1990. Locals trudge through no matter how deep the mud or treacherous the ice and slush given how utterly ridiculous any other route would be.

At least the mall now puts these kind of wood chips on that diagonal pathway to make it less wet in the rain to walk through.

As an Eastender, one of my favourite neighbourhood peregrinations is the Via Dolorosa trudge across the iconic pedestrian bridge that links two of my favourite malls - Poverty Square and Riverdale Plaza. It affords great views of the city, and of the trains as they rattle beneath the bridge, and is a hoserly delight almost beyond compare.

I like going to malls. As a fly-on-the-wall outsider, I find it more fascinating than annoying...

yeah, i was being a bit flip there with the annoying thing. a mall does create some sort of community no matter how artificial the environment.
and almost any activity that brings people together is good...almost any.

Back